Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest Sydney rain has brought another leak in the sunroof of my 07 T2. Last time I ran a wire through the drains and also tested with litres of water and they seemed to run pretty free. The leak is still at the map light area. Does anyone know a reputable sun roof repairer in western Sydney?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you discover why I would also be keen to know. I've checked the drains for our sun roof and they are clear - but water is also running down from the map light today after all the rain that also hit Canberra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also wondering what's causing this.

I drive a 06 TDI , and have exactly the same issue.

I removed the grommets in both wheelarches, cleaned out all 4 draines and still it's leaking some times by the light area. Most of the times when it's raining very hard and I brake, a few drops drips down from the lightfixture....

I'm wondering if it's something very simple like too little drainage hoses, so when it rains too much, the draines can,t cope the amount of water....

So if you have any solution, I'm keen to know !

·
Registered
506 Posts
Something out of left field.
I had a Mazda 929 for 26 years. It had a sunroof and in all that time, I think I opened it less than 5 times.
Now with the Treg, as I don't open the sunroof, I am thinking of pulling the fuse and sealing it up with some tape as a trial.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Something out of left field.
I had a Mazda 929 for 26 years. It had a sunroof and in all that time, I think I opened it less than 5 times.
Now with the Treg, as I don't open the sunroof, I am thinking of pulling the fuse and sealing it up with some tape as a trial.

Well that's one way to fix it....:wink2:

But I open the roof as much as I can, so I'm looking for another , more subtle way to fix it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
removal /sealing

After 35 years of car ownership this is the first car I've had with a sun roof. Whilst I can see the benefits of having one, I'm not going to miss it if it can't open.

I'm open to having it sealed off completely as long it looks good. Tape or silicone on the roof is not an open really.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those who are interested in the progress....

Took the treg to Doyles In Car in Penrith yesterday. They say it was the front drains causing the issue even though I had got them flowing reasonably. They actually tested the flow rate and determined that the two front drains were not getting rid of the water fast enough.

They were also of the opinion that there is a design fault with the positioning of the mesh "wind deflector". When the roof is in the closed position, the deflector partially blocks the drains.

As a solution they rerouted the drains completely, bypassing the factory drains and their path. The new drains go directly to the ground not via the base of the windscreen and the front guards. Doyles' water flow test (they say) is now sufficient for heavy rain and (should) be fixed.

Guess who's washing the car on the weekend to test it.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Are you sure you went to a garage?

I thought Doyles was THE fish 'n' chip plaice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rain again in Sydney and the news is not good. The "fix" done by Doyle's In Car clearly hasn't worked and I'm back to square one. Will be phoning them Monday with my opinions and trying to get a further solution.

I am now investigating sunroof plug kits. The BMW forums online also complain about leaks and racing forums complain about weight. Both mention the availability of plug kits (mostly carbon fibre) for a variety of Hondas and Bimmers, and also Golfs. I can't find anything about the Treg.

Has anyone heard of or investigated this type of (drastic) fix for a leaking Touareg sunroof?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Drip Drip

So on Saturday before the huge Sydney storm, drip drip fromthe reading light. Opened the sun roof and right as rain I can see waterponding. Refer picture.
Drove home and made a device to clear out the sunroof drainholes. I consisted of a very scientific silicon tube nozzle taped on the hosepipe. At first I had very little water flow on the hose pipe, then I increasedthe pressure until I could hear the water it spraying out drain tube.
I then got a paint brush and soap, cleaned the winddeflector and anywhere else that looked as if the dirt would be restrictingwater flow. Plenty of old dust and crap.
I then blasted the drain holes again.
So far no more drip drip, I tested the drain holes and theyseem to be working great.
My 2c

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Drip Drip Fixed

After watching it rain from the centre roof console during winter I decided today to fix the water leak from the sunroof. The first task was to get access to the sunroof internals which involved removing the centre roof console, grab handles, sun visor, a pillar trim and door pillar trim. When I eventually got access to the sunroof I discovered the drain hose was blocked (it was a black hose which was fairly wide diameter).

Based on the hose being blocked I followed it through to the dashboard but couldn't follow it as it vanished behind a fuse box assembly. I then decided to attack the plenum chamber under the bonnet. Unfortunately, it was covered by a large black plastic plenum chamber which I had to remove (which required taking off the windscreen wipers). Once off I discovered a black box in the plenum chamber which I subsequently discovered was a wiring box with fuses inside. Under this black box was an incredible amount of leaves and debris - which I couldn't access. I ended up then removing this black box which firstly required disconnecting the battery. Once out, and after having removing the wheel arch lining (which required taking of the wheel), I then blasted the plenum chamber with water for quite a while and managed to extract an incredible amount of leaves and debris (which covered the shed floor which was clean before I started). I then blasted the sunroof drain hose again and it then cleared out and started to drain again.

Whilst it took quite a bit of time the removal of an incredible amount of leaves and debris in the plenum chamber has now addressed the sunroof leak. Unfortunately, it took the day.

As a side note - its incredible how well build the Touareg is. It really is built like tank :)

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine still leaks after basically doing everything you describe. There are no blockages. Doesn't leak when the car is stationary with a heavy hosing or rain, or when driving in light to moderate rain. When bucketing it's still ok ..... unless I brake heavily and then I get a few drips, up to about 10ml.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts