Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got new plates on order for the CR in the Euro long size 520x110 that matches the front bumper mounting. The NSW standard slimline plates are only 372*83 for the fronts and just don't look neat on the mounting area.

Now I need to find some plate holders that will bolt up to the car and hold the plates without drilling them. I've seen a few advertised, but wondering if you guys have any recommendations?

·
Registered
2016 MY17 V6 TDI Canyon Gray Metallic
355 Posts
I've got new plates on order for the CR in the Euro long size 520x110 that matches the front bumper mounting. The NSW standard slimline plates are only 372*83 for the fronts and just don't look neat on the mounting area.

Now I need to find some plate holders that will bolt up to the car and hold the plates without drilling them. I've seen a few advertised, but wondering if you guys have any recommendations?
Yes I am in the same boat with the rear plates on my 2017 7P --- with a black rubberised bit that extends beyond the rear plates -- I dont think that would be very durable especially with standard plates or the QLD slimline plates.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I use 3M VHB "Red" double-sided tape. It's neat, there are no mounts, frames, screws, etc, and once it's properly adhered, it's on for good. Well, at least until you have a spare 30min and some fishing line :).

Get it on ebay: Genuine 3M VHB Tape Sheet Mounting Adhesive Double-sided tape 100mmx100mm | eBay

Oz
That's serious stuff! I've only seen the indoor 3M double-sided tape before and this is a whole another level. Not sure I'll use it for the plates, but I can think of a few other applications

·
Registered
727 Posts
Personally, I use 3M VHB "Red" double-sided tape. It's neat, there are no mounts, frames, screws, etc, and once it's properly adhered, it's on for good. Well, at least until you have a spare 30min and some fishing line :).

Get it on ebay: Genuine 3M VHB Tape Sheet Mounting Adhesive Double-sided tape 100mmx100mm | eBay

Oz
I vote for this method.
I have done this on my last two Regs and bumped into my old 2013 7P recently and the Euro plates are still struck strong.
Trick is to form the front plate to the shape of the holder before adhesion.
Back plate mount a length of Aluminium flat bar with countersunk bolts onto the car and stick onto that.

Reactions: Wolfy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Definitely shape the front plate to fit...and yes, it's about as serious as "sticky tape" gets lol

I have personalised plates and when I changed from my '13 V6 to my '15 V8 I just took my time with fishing line and "cut" the tape away from the car by sawing back and forth. Doesn't do any damage and, once removed, you can use bug and tar remover to get rid of the residue.

If you form a full length seal then no dirt gets in and because the tape is so thin, the plate sits nice and snug.

I've used that tape to adhere letters back on (to a Range Rover) and even with such a small contact patch (literally just the 2mm wide edges of each letter) it sticks like crap to a blanket.

Give it a go - the tape isn't overly expensive - worst case scenario you take it back off...

Oz

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interim solution for now. I'll probably leave the back as is but for the front either look for a slightly slimmer mount or more likely go with the industrial double sided tape,which will let the plate sit neatly in the factory mount.

Compared with the previous slim plates the size and font are kinda in your face, but then the car is hardly a petite little thing lol.
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car

Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know you've just gone and spent your coin on new plates, but look at the style below (and funnily enough there's an example on a Tiguan so close-ish) as it brings down the font size and would work well with your black and white theme.

This is the style I went with for the exact same reason: myPlates

Oz

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know you've just gone and spent your coin on new plates, but look at the style below (and funnily enough there's an example on a Tiguan so close-ish) as it brings down the font size and would work well with your black and white theme.

This is the style I went with for the exact same reason: myPlates

Oz
I thought about those but preferred the plainer style without the black side borders. The Platinum Euros you linked are the same size as mine (520*110), and looking at the height of the 'L' I think the font is the same size as on my new plates. Either way, I reckon they're a decent improvement on the piddly little standard slim front plates. Apparently the font uses is a standard mandated in Germany because it's hard to change the letters with tape or paint without it being an obvious fake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts