Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, my 2004 Touareg experienced sudden unintended acceleration. I was stopped at a light. When I took my foot off the brake, the RPMs jumped to 3500 and the car took off. The brakes worked, so I had the truck towed to the dealer. They are still trying to figure out why this happened. Has anyone else experienced this? Very scary.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think this is the first time I have read of this after over 8 years on Touareg sites.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep, sounded like an 80's Audi 5000 flashback to me too. The 80's Audi 5000 problem was basically determined to be a faulty nut that connected the seat to the steering wheel and pedals.

I hope they find what went wrong with Touareg. That would be scary, but it sounds like you didn't panic and did the right thing. Glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Audi was exonerated in the unintended acceleration scandal of the '80s. There was nothing wrong with the cars - it was all human error. The same is true for Toyota's scandal. The biggest issue was the "victims" swore they were pressing the brake pedal with all their might. Show me a properly maintained car that won't stop with both pedals pressed. You can't. Brakes will always be stronger than the engine.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
***face palm***

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This sounds like a strange anomaly...but if for some reason it isn't...I can see this being possible for three reasons that are not mechanical:

1) VW uses throttle cut off for anytime a brake signal is received (hard to be a two foot VW driver). If you sit at a light with your left foot on brake and your right on the throttle...nothing will happen (except your brake will be applied). If you then release the brake, nothing will happen (if I remember right) until after you lift your foot slightly off the accelerator and put it back on. BUT this movement can be very subtle from near full throttle to half throttle to full again ...so if you are not careful you could make your VW do this W/O knowing it.

Are you a two foot driver?

2) I have big feet. I have feet so big I wear custom shoes. If I take my foot off the brake to the side (not full back, but moving towards the throttle...rotating off the right side of the brake) this will and has happened to me (almost rear ended someone too).

3) Rubber floor mats? Pedal could get lodged under one I suppose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your comments. I assure you, I am not a two-footed driver and floor mats did not cause the problem. The week before, a sensor in one of the front ABS brakes went out. We did not replace the sensor, because they couldn't tell if that was the sole problem, or if some relay would also need to be replaced. On the way home, the EPC warning light came on. When I took it back the next day, they couldn't replicate the problem. Just before the sudden acceleration last week, the EPC light came on again. The dealership has witnessed the sudden acceleration every time they have started it up since last Wednesday. They found some moisture causing a short to some wires that are contained in a sealed box in the engine, but they do not yet know whether replacing that (different) relay will solve the problem. I have 188,000 miles on the truck and would love to keep it going, but it might be time... In the meantime, I have a loaner.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
fly by wire or cruise control obvious places to look.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just before the sudden acceleration last week, the EPC light came on again. The dealership has witnessed the sudden acceleration every time they have started it up since last Wednesday. They found some moisture causing a short to some wires that are contained in a sealed box in the engine.
If they can reliably replicate the issue while they are test driving it you are very lucky.

Very peculiar fault indeed.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
check fuel pressure reg as well...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
with the touareg it is difficult as it's automatic.

flick to neutral, stop and switch off. If it dies you have an electrical fault. If it continues to run (it is a diesel runaway) you can try and remove the boost pipe and smother the engine or stand back and phone your insurance.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
with the touareg it is difficult as it's automatic.

flick to neutral, stop and switch off. If it dies you have an electrical fault. If it continues to run (it is a diesel runaway) you can try and remove the boost pipe and smother the engine or stand back and phone your insurance.
If you take the latter option, do, please, don't forget to video it and put it up on here for our amusement!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If you take the latter option, do, please, don't forget to video it and put it up on here for our amusement!
I know my engine well and will probably just use the ASV mechanism to kill the engine.

The average driver will be lucky if he remembers to flip it to neutral and get out.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I'm not sure they're going to be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together.
Can I ask, what you were looking for/what was found?

Stuart...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts