Club Touareg Forum banner

Stuck in snow twice.

19K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Blownvette 
I read conflicting views on the Alenza. It comes up as a summer tire but on a Bridgestone site, it talks about snow too! Very confusing.

But looking at the tread, it's not a tire I would expect to do well in snow. I would happily put my wife's little front wheel drive car on its proper winters up against a Touareg on those Alenzas in up to a foot of snow!

Many people with 4x4s assume their car will do the business regardless off road or in snow when it's actually the rubber footprint on the ground that has to do most of the work.

Grass is an especially difficult problem for 4x4s which is why you can see www clips of very expensive 4x4s on flat grass fields going nowhere with everyone laughing their socks off!

Once the blades of grass are damaged, the sap emerges and the co-efficient of friction between road biased rubber is then on a par with wet ice . . . !

I always enjoy this clip !

I wouldn't run any road car on any tire once 50% tread wear has been reached. The loss of performance under braking alone, let alone traction in rain, snow or mud depending upon the type of tyre, means tires should be consigned to the bin.

European tyre tread indicators are there to let people know when they are close to the legal minimum depth of a mere 1.6 mm which is downright dangerous in my book.

Nothing wrong with half of that tire!

Indeed, ****wits are the same the world over: once a ****wit, always a ****wit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.