Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,419 Posts
Both sides of that little brown wire can be suspect from the splice point. Water will seep into the uncovered wire and wick back and get under the insulation. You then end up with corrosion on the wires which makes it hard to make a good electrical connection.

You need to be splicing back bright shiny copper wire to bright shiny copper wire. If the wire is dull colored or green, then you are not going to get a good connection.

Worst case (usually not needed) is that you have to get a new piece of wire about 12 to 18 inches long and cut out the damaged part of the wire. You then have two splices to deal with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow I had the same issue, and couldn't believe this was the actual fix for this! I also cleaned up the splice with the larger gauge black wires since they were pretty green as well. I could only imagine how much the dealership would charge to repair this.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks to the OP and to Club Touareg - I have once again saved thousands by being able to diagnose and repair a Brake Fault issue. I had to find and solder the corroded wires, and I cleaned the fuse tabs on the ABS fuses. ALL FAULTS WENT AWAY!! I was getting very close to taking it in to the dealership with all the faults I had - and clearing with VagCom didn't immediately solve it. But I went ahead and did the wiring fix and checked the ABS system. FIXED IT!! (to my great surprise!)

At this point I owe all y'all a beer, so if you ever meet me in person I'll pay up!!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Glad all is well again! Always good when someone reports back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your log is still showing a lot of communication errors. Do you have an aftermarket radio, as they are often installed wrong and can cause this problem.

Other then the radio, I would check recheck the wiring. That brown wire is frail, thin, and often the water damage seeps up past the end, into the brown wire under the first several inches of insulation.
What is this aftermarket radio problem thing ? I have an aftermarket radio since last year, and only have lost the antenna signal and the steering wheel buttons use since then. What is the problem you are describing coming from ?

I'm having problems that look pretty much as this...
I had a "dashboard christmas lights" problem 2 months ago, changed the battery, didn't change anything. i had to leave the treg at a friends place for over a week. When i got there to have it towed, it magically started as if nothing ever happened. I thought that it was a case of the computer needing some time to reset by itself or whatnot.
But few days ago, I noticed water coming down from the roof, right next to the sunroof. Then yesterday it started to show errors, few km after i had limp mode on, brakes system problem message, diff lock on the console flashing, temp gauge and other gauges tripping and all... engine was running rough, I shut it down. Few minutes later I tried it back, started but stalled a few times, then wouldnt start at all. plugued a obd2 scanner and reset everything (even tried with obdeleven). Car finally started back, was able to limp it back to my work, but never wanted to start again afterward. This afternoon I tried to look under the carpet, took that velcro thing off everything up to where I couldn't reach, but didn't find any splices. all the wires are single and none looked corroded. is it possible that mine doesn't have those or it might just be higher up under the dash? (I have a 2010 3.0TDI)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I left the sunroof open and we had an inch of rain in a couple of hrs.
Couldn't get it out of park
no green foot pedal sign
brake fault
brake lights worked
codes 0101, 0121, 0414

turned out to be the brown/ red striped wire
reset fault codes, changed all abs fuses
and it worked. Thank you guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many thanks to the sveinnlogi and everyone who has added to this post. I had this same problem on my '06 Touareg with the display showing a brake fault and most of the fault indicators lit up like a Christmas tree. I cleaned out the drain plugs as suggested by noobytoogy and let it sit for several days to dry out the foam under the carpet.

There were three obvious sets of splices, two black ones – one several very heavy gauge wires, and one with black and blue wires. All of these appeared to be in good shape, apart from tape residue. There was also, and I’m guessing this was someone else’s previous repair, the two thin brown wires with the red stripes joined with a little wire loop crimped on. You could also see obvious copper corrosion under the crimps. Anyway, I cut the loop off, and spliced and soldered the wires together. When I started the car, all the lights were out, except for a CEL. I cleared the code a U0101 Lost Communications with TCM, and all appears ok. I’m posting a picture of the loop as it appeared with the wiring harness, and after I cut it off. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cannot thank OP enough. What a huge help. Found one bad splice that had fallen apart, stopped all warning lights. Reset CEL and back to 100%. Such a great post! Thank you! Right where pics showed, very wet under there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the call at work today from my son with the “car won’t shift out of park” problem. Spent a little time on the forum and pulled up the front driver’s side carpet when I got home. Yep, it was wet. Cleared all the faults with VAGCOM, and it’s sitting in the garage with a fan blowing on the area. Thanks to all who posted...could have been a very long night, or a very expensive week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have very similar issues with my 07 v6 no connection to abs module speedo doesn’t work fuel gauge going up and down randomly however when checking the splices they all seem to be in good condition

·
Registered
2007 V6 TDI - Air Suspension
18 Posts
I've just had this same issue, with the Treg throwing a bunch of faults and stuck in park. 1100 codes for Auto Trans, ABS, Level control etc. Thanks to the help on this forum I was able to find the issue very easily. While I have the carpet up, I came across this plug. I was wondering if anyone knows what's supposed to be on the other end of it?? Any tips much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
This post just saved me a ton of time and probably money. The brown/red striped wire was corroded to the point of not even being connected any longer. I went ahead and re-spliced two others just to be on the safe side since they had mild corrosion.

Thank you very much to the Touareg community!

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
358 Posts
Hi sveinnlogi,

Thanks for the write up and pictures,

I too have a poor windscreen seal on the driver's side.

My symptoms are random but repetitive error codes and sometimes the dash and headlights will light up when I'm nowhere near the vehicle.

Have been advised that this is a common problem on the older Tregs so will be diving into the wiring loom on both sides soon.

Thanks for the pictures. The job doesn't look so intimidating now.

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
358 Posts
Here is an update on my wiring splice repair project...

I can't believe i didn't spot the plastic side pieces of the windscreen were so far out of position when I bought the Treg.

The gap in there must be letting some water into the front footwell. The seal at the top of the windscreen isn't flush or level across the vehicle and is also coming away from the uppermost part of the Treg body allowing water in behind the top of the windscreen too.

The Autoglass chap is coming tomorrow with a backup screen but the plan is to remove and refit the current screen (Pilkington) if it comes out in one piece.

Once done, the interior will be able to dry out and I can make a start on the splices.

The seats and driver's carpet are out. Driver's side carpet was sodden and the foam section under the pedals is soaked.

The tape wrapping is damp so will be removing that tomorrow in between the thinderstorms and torrential rain we are having in the NW.

I've pierced the rubber seal to allow for water that gets in here to drain out so it has somewhere to go.

Taking the seats out was a pain in the butt. 12 bolts in total for the seat runners, seat to seat frame and seat frame to floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much mate for going to the effort to post this and help the rest of us out. U just saved me a good chunk of cash as i fixed this same fault myself with a few bucks worth of solder and heat shrink. Not all hero's wear capes, or maybe you do but yr a bloody legend in my books! Thanks mate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all - same affliction with my 2009, about to start the repairs and have all the info I need for the fix except...how do I remove the trim panels to access the wiring harness? Side dash panel, door sill panel/hood release. Can't seem to find any good info and don't want to trash the dash. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just spent the afternoon working my way through this post after two mechanics said it was time to scrap my ‘06 model. Can’t thank contributors enough as it’s now up and running again.

Two of the wrapped cables had corroded. Carpet wasn’t wet and drains were clear but there was moisture under the foam.

Wish I’d been a bit more patient when problem first happened as I forced shifter button. Have removed top of lever and can pull top up to shift and will be on eBay for a replacement.

Literally saved me scrapping my “toe rag”

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You can disconnect the gear lever from underneath the car and then move the gear change to neutral.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts