Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went looking for some challenges for my Duratracs. And got serious stuck in the warm-ups. Found a driveway that hadn’t been plowed, maybe a feet of snow max. Mostly dry with a crust of wet snow. Drove slowly a few feet, then reversed out again. Did this a few times, longer in each time. When I got the car completely in, two wheels fell trough and I bottomed out. Removed the snow under the car with a shovel, but could not get out. The front left and rear right wheel did barely touch the ground. And in R, idling, the rear turned around slowly, unhindered by the EDL. Tried all drive modes. And applying both little and much power didn’t change anything. Still spinning freely.

I was under the impression that the EDL, while not a mechanical locker, should attempt to slow the spinning wheel and transfer some power to the two wheels firmly on ground. But they didn’t move.

What should I do differently next time?
I got out eventually, after shoveling the entire driveway clear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
High centering any car will defeat too many of its workings. I did the same with my wife's A*di Quattro and was embarrassed that I needed help to get it unstuck. Probably not much else you could have done. Others may give some hints to try.

·
Registered
226 Posts
These are not conventional offroad vehicles (the new ones anyhow.. the older ones w/ air suspension and lockers are different), they must be driven differently. Inching along is a poor idea. Turning of traction control and just driving in probably would have gotten you further

Also remember not all snow is created the same. I've gone in some VERY deep stuff in my Touareg on Nokian suv all-weather tires and its performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are not conventional offroad vehicles (the new ones anyhow.. the older ones w/ air suspension and lockers are different), they must be driven differently. Inching along is a poor idea. Turning of traction control and just driving in probably would have gotten you further

Also remember not all snow is created the same. I've gone in some VERY deep stuff in my Touareg on Nokian suv all-weather tires and its performed flawlessly.
It was a dead end, so I tried to go as short as possible as a test.

My tires compressed the heavy wet snow, and when I fell trough my path the snow took the entire weigh of the car. It sunk down several times while I was shoveling out the snow.

But I was mostly surprised by the wheels being allowed to spin freely without any attempt to stop them from the EDL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts