Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went looking for some challenges for my Duratracs. And got serious stuck in the warm-ups. Found a driveway that hadn’t been plowed, maybe a feet of snow max. Mostly dry with a crust of wet snow. Drove slowly a few feet, then reversed out again. Did this a few times, longer in each time. When I got the car completely in, two wheels fell trough and I bottomed out. Removed the snow under the car with a shovel, but could not get out. The front left and rear right wheel did barely touch the ground. And in R, idling, the rear turned around slowly, unhindered by the EDL. Tried all drive modes. And applying both little and much power didn’t change anything. Still spinning freely.

I was under the impression that the EDL, while not a mechanical locker, should attempt to slow the spinning wheel and transfer some power to the two wheels firmly on ground. But they didn’t move.

What should I do differently next time?
I got out eventually, after shoveling the entire driveway clear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
High centering any car will defeat too many of its workings. I did the same with my wife's A*di Quattro and was embarrassed that I needed help to get it unstuck. Probably not much else you could have done. Others may give some hints to try.

·
Registered
438 Posts
These are not conventional offroad vehicles (the new ones anyhow.. the older ones w/ air suspension and lockers are different), they must be driven differently. Inching along is a poor idea. Turning of traction control and just driving in probably would have gotten you further

Also remember not all snow is created the same. I've gone in some VERY deep stuff in my Touareg on Nokian suv all-weather tires and its performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are not conventional offroad vehicles (the new ones anyhow.. the older ones w/ air suspension and lockers are different), they must be driven differently. Inching along is a poor idea. Turning of traction control and just driving in probably would have gotten you further

Also remember not all snow is created the same. I've gone in some VERY deep stuff in my Touareg on Nokian suv all-weather tires and its performed flawlessly.
It was a dead end, so I tried to go as short as possible as a test.

My tires compressed the heavy wet snow, and when I fell trough my path the snow took the entire weigh of the car. It sunk down several times while I was shoveling out the snow.

But I was mostly surprised by the wheels being allowed to spin freely without any attempt to stop them from the EDL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Other people are saying this is normal, but I think your EDL is somehow broken. Have you tested for codes?

The EDL will not totally stop the spinning wheel, but it should provide enough braking to get the wheel with traction moving just as fast. Even the non-offroad VWs I've owned with EDL (e.g. MKIV Golf) can transfer enough torque to the wheel(s) with traction to get the vehicle moving uphill. Without being in offroad mode, the EDL doesn't activate until there is a very large differential in wheel speed, so pretty high rpms/high throttle is required to get it really moving.

Here are details on an EDL test I performed on a 2WD MKIV Golf: TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - Softroading / offroading tips, advice, and mods for MKIV-A4

·
Registered
438 Posts
^like he said you need constant wheelspeed for EDL to kick in.. just lay into the accelerator and it will start activating.

These cars come stock with super ****ty tires for use in snow, btw

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
67 Posts
eh, EDL is effective when some wheels have more traction, but when they are all spinning same speed w/no traction its not going to help even if it could activate.. looks like he got floaty in some dense snow that was able to support his weight.. at this point he's a paddle boat and without momentum or chains on his side he was doomed, everything was spinning and lockers and tires and nothing really help, Ive done this to Jeeps w/everything.. if your trying to get stuck you always can.

I drive around in snow and on trails always in offroad mode, I can get into big drifts sliding all over the place and never have EDL or any traction assists kick in on snow.. but I can go down a trail and the ABS system is firing off left and right as individual wheels are lifted off the ground with the minimal suspension travel my air gives me. When EDL is activated you won't miss it, EDL and Down Hill assist are so aggressive anyone should feel and hear it engaging..

When EDL does activate I found its best to just ignore it and keep on the throttle and it'll fix its self and keep going fairly smoothly.. if you react to the wheel spin by backing off the throttle it'll stall out and you'll needa punch it til you hear the abs fire and back off quickly.. that ends up jerking you around pretty hard and cant be good for your vehicle.

Lucky w/Air I have an option for OP kinda situation, if its soft go in low.. get stuck, lift it up and drive out, or if its hard go in high, lower it and pack everything down and back out in high.. but if that dont work, I need someone to yank me out.. rule #1 when your TRYING to get stuck, have some sure fire plan to get unstuck.. Ive gone full paddleboat mode before in my Q7, numerous times crossing drifts on the road.. keeping momentum, great tires, and excellent throttle modulation will get you a long ways on flat ground.. but if anything ever stops you all bets are off.. I knew the drifts would end in a few hundred yards because I could see bare ground ahead.. Another time I paddle boated my Golf TDI 90 miles non stop from CoSprings to Denver in >2ft of fresh snow on the road at 2am Sunday morning.. I blew every light and stop sign til I got in my driveway and then it was stuck.. good thing the roads were empty.. that trip cemented my desire for AWD w/All Terrains and clearance.. a few months later I was in this.

·
Registered
460 Posts
the edl works flawless on my t3...i backed into a drift that lifted the rear off the ground...i just floored it and you could feel it pulse and move power around and pulled itself out....even when stuck it will use all 4

·
Registered
20 Posts
looks like he got floaty in some dense snow that was able to support his weight..
Yes, EDL can't really do anything if the car is high centered and the wheels don't have enough weight... but it should still get all 4 wheels moving. It sounds like he is saying just one or two wheels would turn, even at high rpm/throttle, which sounds like the EDL failed to activate for some reason.

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
67 Posts
seems like he didnt have a spotter, but said back wheels just spun freely in idle, that wont happen unless your high centered.. and fronts "barely touched the ground", the center diff cant send 100% to the back, certainly when he punched it enough to get EDL to activate all 4 wheels were spinning, and whats EDL gonna do? What exactly is locking up all 4 brakes under throttle gonna do besides break something?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Front right and rear left tire was freely spinning, the to others was having good traction, but no power.

265/65/17 Goodyear Duratracs (which I was intending to test this day).

Idle had them both spin, and adding power did nothing.

I do have air, but lifting the vehicle did nothing but further lift the spinning wheels of the ground, and still no power on the two with contact.

After shovelling for a time the car did get unstuck with copious amounts of throttle, but not before we had levelled up the two spinning tires with snow.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will scan for codes as soon as I get W7 up and running on my usb stick again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts