Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 04 V10 with 265K miles on it. The air ride works 100% but the rig seems bouncy and swimmy like a vehicle with worn shocks/struts.

Is that a replaceable item(s) on these setups with air ride? Is the strut internal to the air spring?
Suggestions for replacements?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unfortunately the Arnott replacement is just the spring itself. The question asked (and I have been wondering same) is the service life of the strut that the air-spring rides upon.

The damper is a wear component to be sure. What is not known is given how protected the piston & seals are by being completed protected by the air-spring itself - what is the function test to say it's at the end of the service life?

250k miles and counting on IMQuattro's original 2004 dampers... I would think yes they are due for replacement. But the cost of those dampers... might be best to find lesser mileage units from a yard and see if there is incremental improvement before going in whole-hog. Note: assumes you are self-installing...

Reactions: imquattro

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Rob, exactly. Well said and sadly, either new OE or good used seems to be the only options available.
OT: Love the Sport Quattro pic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the like on my old UrQ. I WISH it was a Sport Q. I had the chance to buy a Forest Green LHD Sport Q in the UK for 30k pounds a couple decades ago and I balked. So I had to build up my UrQ to be nearer Sport Q spec - but it was still long wheel base and effectively an RS2'd 20v Ur.

And BTW: I see you had a 20vT 4kQ too! I had a caged track rat of same config with the UrQ flares front and rear too!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not difficult at all to takeapart. Just be careful and use vaseline for the o-rings.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
Two things:

What's your tyre pressure like? No, really, some people stick 26psi in and complain that it doesn't handle like a sports car.

I wonder if if it's possible to graft the air spring onto a Bilstein or Koni strut.

Well, I know it would be possible but is it viable and within your skill set?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just had mine apart. see thread V10 Air Suspension in aus/nz section.
Takes about 1hr to get the shock out of the car, another 1/2hr to get the shock apart and you will need a couple of special tools to get the shock out of the air spring.
Also need metric sockets / spanners. took me about 1 1/2hrs to put each one back in. There's 11 bolts that need torqueing up, so takes a bit more time.
I went VW Shocks out of US, Jim Ellis. you can get complete shocks from China for 1/2 the price of a VW shock absorber ( no air spring) from the US.
My air spring was ok. If it's floating around, most likely will be the shock absorber, the air spring will either work or be broken.
use a lithium based grease for the o-rings, Vaseline wont stand up to the temperatures that shocks get to if they get busy.
Make sure you get new O-rings(2 x 70 x 4 and 2 x 96 x 4 from memory) and locknuts for the various bolts you have to undo.
imo, at 265k miles, I would be considering replacing both the shock and the air spring, be a pain to have to do it twice if the air spring goes bang.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am agreeing 100% on that high milage cars need new shocks, only thing is i can not find any replacement for them other then oem. If anyone knows of replacements. Shout out?

·
Registered
166 Posts
not quite.

Vaseline melts at around 37oc. so will melt on the 1st hot day, run down the sleeve and end up dribbling out the bottom of the boot.
when I pulled mine apart, there was grease from the top of the sleeve to the base, still looked like new.
Lithium based grease like Molykote has a melting point around 165oc so stays put. Molycote also makes o-rings expand slightly, by about 4%.
there will be continual small stress movements when shocks are working, no grease on the sleeve oring will eventually wear it.
Lithium based grease is an item in the VW parts list for the replacement shocks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fine you do it your way. I will do it mine wich work fine and still going strong on all touaregs and q7s ive done. It seals or it does not. No reason to overthink stuff

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am agreeing 100% on that high milage cars need new shocks, only thing is i can not find any replacement for them other then oem. If anyone knows of replacements. Shout out?

if you have air shocks, the only replacements I could find come from China.
pay your money and take your chances.

I'm thinking that for the price, I may buy a set of rear shocks ($320usd ea complete) just to try them..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Totally agree. I bought my cam chain adjuster from, aliexpress. Top notch. Vw part was what i got. Vw-shanghai.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Someone has to pave the way for others. And as these cars get older no need to go oem. Way to expensive.
But if its junk then, well you tried. I think i will try chinese ones too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's been a while since I've looked but has anyone seen or know of an aftermarket source for the strut/shocks?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Miessler Automotive USA
Volkswagen - Touareg - Touareg 2004-2010 (7L) - Page 1 - Miessler Automotive USA
I recently purchased full air shock/strut units from them on eBay and have been happy with them thus far (2 year warranty). Air spring is new and shock is rebuilt. eBay seller name is "air-suspension-shop". They go on sale regularly, so watch and wait if you can (plus $100 core return for each of your old units).

Also check out Aerosus. They sell new full air shock/strut units. Don't know the country of origin of their hardware though.
http://bit.ly/2dloFxC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts