Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2010 fully loaded with Nav and the Tech package.

I have the option in "media" for "enable Bluetooth audio" but can't get it to work.

I have the aux port in the console, SD card, says "HDD", and the mdi cable in the glove box.

The icons are there for all of that but mostly greyed out and not selectable. But no icon for Bluetooth.

Im assuming there is a hard drive?

I haven't checked which module I have under the seat yet. But being I have the option in the setup.. You'd think it can?

·
Super Moderator
9,493 Posts
There is a hard drive built into the RNS 510. It is where the maps are stored for the Nav as well as you can save music to it also. I can't answer your question on Bluetooth music, I have never used it since I listen to Sirius radio all the time or on a long trip I hook up my Ipod with the cable in the glove box and listen to it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Search for Tune2air. You'll find my thread on this subject.

Basically, buy this Bluetooth adapter and plug it straight into the MDI. It's expensive but it's the only Bluetooth adapter that works with the MDI.

No worries about powering it or using unsightly wires for Aux-in.

It streams music and can simultaneously work with the stock Bluetooth phone connection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S320660/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kP-iwbEDMYWWY

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will that display anything like track tiles, or let me me switch songs via the steering wheel or touch screen?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Will that display anything like track tiles, or let me me switch songs via the steering wheel or touch screen?
It will do both.

As the reviews state it's not without its glitches but it works as advertised most of the time.

My main problem is that it won't reconnect on a warm start of the RNS-510. I need to restart my iPhone in order for it to recognize it.

If it's a cold boot it picks up no issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a usb connection on the back like you add to some of the other Vw head units? I had bought one for my girls 2013 Tdi only to find out it wouldn't work.

So I have a little usb plug and cable for some type of radio.. lol. I don't really care so much about it being Bluetooth, a wired option that included being able to control the iPhone with the head unit is enough for me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is there a usb connection on the back like you add to some of the other Vw head units? I had bought one for my girls 2013 Tdi only to find out it wouldn't work. So I have a little usb plug and cable for some type of radio.. lol. I don't really care so much about it being Bluetooth, a wired option that included being able to control the iPhone with the head unit is enough for me.
In that case just buy the MDI to lightning cable that will plug into the glove box. Amazon sells it too I believe. Should be around $40.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the cables I have searched were for older iPhones. Is it called a "lightning" cable for the iPhone 6?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I'm going to sound like a picky little **** head but, that won't work with my life proof case. And I don't want to have to leave my phone in the glove box.

Haha thanks though.

Someone makes a longer one it looks like but it says right on it that it will not control iPhone or display data. :/

Might be cheaper to buy the right module under the seat like I've been reading. And easier.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's going to kill me. It right there in front of my face, and it won't work. Nothing is worse. Haha. I am fully capable of wiring it. So I mide as well satisfy my ocd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Hunter, I researched this in the past and all you have to do is upgrade the bluetooth module that's in the vehicle. I forgot what version is in the car since I looked this up a while ago, but you can install the newer module and it will enable the bluetooth audio. The RNS-510 will support the newer module.
I'm sure the forum members can correct me if i'm wrong, but that's what i learned back in the day. And I also learned that it was plug and play. My research at the time didn't indicate that any wiring was needed.
I never did it in the vehicle because I listened to Sirius and I had an iPod connected in the glove box that never came out. Whenever I pulled up in the garage it would connect to my wifi and would update my playlist automatically.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, yea I had been reading something but it turned out to be for a CC.. So I'm not sure what module I need.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Even if you upgrade your Bluetooth module, you can't control it from the radio or wheel and no data. The best way is to find a long MDI to 30-pin (old iPhone connection) then use the apple 30-pin to lightning adapter. With this connection, you will be able to see the meta data and control through the radio and wheel.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts