Club Touareg Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Wow thats wild man.. thanks for following up on that!

· Registered
24 Posts
Ok update.
2 new cats installed, exhaust adjusted and it seems the shudder is gone.
Tech didn't see any obvious changes between my old cats and the new one's. He thought maybe the flex pipe could be different but hard to tell.
So if you have this shudder most likely the cats and get VW to investigate, my tech guy said VW has replaced a few.
Also you could still be under warranty which is a bonus VW pays .
Easy test, when the engine is up to operating temp and in park bring the rpms up to 1200 it's kind of difficult throttle is very sensitive if the engine shakes or vibrates then you have a problem. If you take it for a drive and slow down watch the rpms hit the 1200 range you will feel that vibration.
Now you can mask the problem by driving your Touareg in sport mode, sport mode has a totally different rpm down shift range.
Did VW replace your cats under warranty? You said you have 40k miles and you’re in Canada. I have 41k on mine. It seems like US Warranty covers exhaust up to 36k. I doubt cats are falling under 100k powertrain warranty, right? This problem with vibration is kind of seasonal, happens when cold. I had that vibration last season too when there was about 25k on odometer. I don’t think dealer would listen to my whining and would tell me that I should’ve complained about that a year ago and refuse warranty repair. Just looking for some sort of advice. And thanks a lot for follow up on that whole vibration issue. I hope new cats are the solution.

my thought is VW should issue a recall on those faulty cats but I guess there should be a lot more complaints

· Registered
24 Posts
This particular case is only when it’s cold outside and when car parked and wobbles at 1200rpm in parking or neutral due to exhaust shaking. You can’t notice it so much (just a little) when transmission is shifting, since Rpms are not steady. Also can feel it when a car is stopping at the traffic light and Rpms go down between 1200-1000

· Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
973 Posts
I have experienced shudder during braking but it was when towing a trailer. For a long time I chased trailer braking system.
But it turned out to be the Touareg passenger rear rotor. After doing a complete brake service (entirely-rotors, sensors, pads), the problem disappeared during the next towing trip. Hasn't come back. Weird. I look at the rear rotor (was not worn below spec thickness) and it appears smooth, but something was causing it.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
I have experienced shudder during braking but it was when towing a trailer. For a long time I chased trailer braking system.
But it turned out to be the Touareg passenger rear rotor. After doing a complete brake service (entirely-rotors, sensors, pads), the problem disappeared during the next towing trip. Hasn't come back. Weird. I look at the rear rotor (was not worn below spec thickness) and it appears smooth, but something was causing it.
Could have been pad deposits if you don't use your brakes hard or frequent enough

· Registered
1 Posts
I thought Canada had 8 yr 130,000km emission warranty, maybe I'm wrong.
Ok update.
2 new cats installed, exhaust adjusted and it seems the shudder is gone.
Tech didn't see any obvious changes between my old cats and the new one's. He thought maybe the flex pipe could be different but hard to tell.
So if you have this shudder most likely the cats and get VW to investigate, my tech guy said VW has replaced a few.
Also you could still be under warranty which is a bonus VW pays .
Easy test, when the engine is up to operating temp and in park bring the rpms up to 1200 it's kind of difficult throttle is very sensitive if the engine shakes or vibrates then you have a problem. If you take it for a drive and slow down watch the rpms hit the 1200 range you will feel that vibration.
Now you can mask the problem by driving your Touareg in sport mode, sport mode has a totally different rpm down shift range.
I'm having the same issue and my service advisor is willing to work with me but needs proof it's been done. Just curious which dealership you got the work done at so that my advisor can communicate with them for feedback. Thanks

61 - 69 of 69 Posts