Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi
id suggest it could be a faulty transmission oil pressure valve in the torque convertor there shouldnt be any worn parts in trans that have only done a small amount of kms
The happens in park revving the engine to 1200 rpm.
When driving and it shifts from 3 to 2 to 1 it hits the magic 1200 rpm between the shifts. So I think it's in the engine or a valve of some sort. Funny thing I noticed today when I started it cold the engine revs to 1200 rpm before dropping to 700 rpm after a little warm up, the engine did not shake at the 1200 rpm cold. I wonder if there is an emission solenoid or valve that may be faulty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, new to the forum but not new to VW.
I have a 2016 V6 Touareg with 40,000 miles on it.
Have a problem with a very slight shudder when slowing down to a stop. It comes on around 30 mph. No issues on acceleration.
Had the prop shaft replaced but still have this shudder. It almost feels like when you run over rumble strips on the highway but very fine rumble strips.
When the shudder starts I thought let me see if it does it when I put it in neutral and the shudder stopped immediately. Weird.
SUV is going in next Friday to the dealer and try and figure this out. Mechanic felt the shudder so he knows what I'm talking about.
Any ideas folks need to figure this out.
Thanks
Warped brake rotors is the issue.
I have 237,000 miles on my 05 Touareg. No problems, love this car. When this one ****s the bed, I'm looking for the one with adjustable suspension w a TDi engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let us know the outcome! My MY17 does exactly same engine shake when tachometer arrow passes range 1100-1200 rpms no matter if you are parked or moving. More noticeable with colder temperatures. I can confirm that engine does not shake in that rpm range on cold engine. I’ve read about that, no solution I could find. It couldn’t be brakes, I doubt that it is transmission issue either. That’s more like engine balance, but what part of the engine is causing that shake on warm engine I’ve no idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let us know the outcome! My MY17 does exactly same engine shake when tachometer arrow passes range 1100-1200 rpms no matter if you are parked or moving. More noticeable with colder temperatures. I can confirm that engine does not shake in that rpm range on cold engine. I’ve read about that, no solution I could find. It couldn’t be brakes, I doubt that it is transmission issue either. That’s more like engine balance, but what part of the engine is causing that shake on warm engine I’ve no idea.
Warped brake rotors pulsate and vibrate while braking and applying pressure to the brake pedal increasing engine revs doesnt make rotors vibrate from experiences i have had

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't think it's an engine balance issue it would do it when it's cold wouldn't it ? Something is making it shake when it get past a certain temp or time frame . Mine will idle high like 1200 when it first starts cold which is normal then slowly comes down when the ECM receives inputs like temp or time.
Very frustrating. I want to love this vehicle but it's tough right now.
I'll keep you posted tomorrow when it goes in to the dealer. I hope I can be on the conversation when my tech talks to VW tech center.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm by no means tech spec heavy with this vehicle but maybe 1200 rpm's or so is when the intake runner flaps open (close) and cause the vibration at the transition point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm by no means tech spec heavy with this vehicle but maybe 1200 rpm's or so is when the intake runner flaps open (close) and cause the vibration at the transition point.
You maybe be correct, Or as mentioned above maybe it is the torque converter I don't know what the stall is on them but maybe at 1200 there is an issue with them.
Well I hope VW has an answer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, by problem with engine balance I meant Whatever unbalances the engine at that certain point Is a part of it lol. Engine itself probably works exactly same in cold and hot weather. But with colder temps rubber on engine mounts becomes harder and can’t fight/hide engine vibration so well at that particular point. Today was a great day to check, 20f outside. Mine showed 1200 on cold start. No significant vibration, but I still could feel it very tiny bit. Alright I gave it a discount for being too cold. I warmed the engine up and I could feel all that shake I want, while parked, from 1200 up to almost 1400. It was so hard to keep Rpms in one place all the way to 1400 on my car. No matter how fixedly my led is on my gas pedal I can’t hold Rpms say on 1250 for more than 3-4sec, they just jumping 100 up and down every 3sec or so. BUT at 1400 I can hold Rpms with my pedal as long as I want.
Did anyone try to push gas pedal and check for vibration between 1200-1400 while waiting for Rpms to drop at cold start? I guess no one did lol. Now I want to check that tomorrow

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I did hold the rpms at 1200 at least tried lol very sensitive when cold and it didn't shake until it got warm . I had to drive it a little and put in park to get that 1200 rpm shake to reappear.
My cars in the shop as I type and the tech did mention motor mounts (I asked with so little miles on it he said he has seen new cars with this issue)and also if VW has a reprogram for the transmission to shift when slowing down, go above the 1200 zone so we don't feel the shake. I'm waiting for the car I'll keep you posted.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update for now.
They had it on the hoist had the car at 1200 rpm pulled on the exhaust and stopped it from shaking. They have seen this before and by adding weight ( just a test fix ) to a certain part of the exhaust stopped the vibration. Now I'm not convinced it's in the exhaust I think when they pull on it they are moving one of the engine mounts to stop the vibration. It could be VW will change engine mounts to maybe an updated part, just guessing. So now they are waiting to hear back from VW on a fix or a part to change or add.
Interesting, harmonics of the 15 degree vr engine I guess the down side of it and not traditional V6

·
Registered
11 Posts
That’s legit. Maybe cold engine mounts and hot exhaust mounts don’t like each other too?? Or vice versa? But anyway to me it feels like some belt tensioner, steering unit, some shaft or whatever else rolling on the engine creates that disharmony. Nice word to use haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only thing I’m concerned about is that they really replace or adjust the part, not just hide the problem. with programming to higher revvs it will lose “efficiency”(efficient treg haha), with adding weight In some place it will be wearing in some other corner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me know if you need another Touareg for today lol. I didn’t start mine yet, sitting cold in the driveway:sneaky:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The only thing I’m concerned about is that they really replace or adjust the part, not just hide the problem. with programming to higher revvs it will lose “efficiency”(efficient treg haha), with adding weight In some place it will be wearing in some other corner
Adding weight thing was just for test purposes wouldn't be a permanent thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Update
VW wants my tech guy to adjust the exhaust . They gave him a procedure to do it so the wait continues.
I think I'll go get something to eat and I'll report back to you folks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Supposedly they have to move the whole exhaust forward 5 mm I guess from where it attaches to the down pipes. This is according to my service advisor still will get the details from my Tech when he finishes the job. I asked my advisor if VW has come across this before and he thinks yes and will solve the shaking.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts