Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, new to the forum but not new to VW.
I have a 2016 V6 Touareg with 40,000 miles on it.
Have a problem with a very slight shudder when slowing down to a stop. It comes on around 30 mph. No issues on acceleration.
Had the prop shaft replaced but still have this shudder. It almost feels like when you run over rumble strips on the highway but very fine rumble strips.
When the shudder starts I thought let me see if it does it when I put it in neutral and the shudder stopped immediately. Weird.
SUV is going in next Friday to the dealer and try and figure this out. Mechanic felt the shudder so he knows what I'm talking about.
Any ideas folks need to figure this out.
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2017 V6 does this as well, and always has since new. The engine has a shake at around 1200 rpm. If you hover at 1200 while in park you will feel it shaking a bit, as well. It’s something that I’ve come to terms with as a minor annoyance in an otherwise excellent vehicle. Mines got 50k on it now and that minor shudder is my only complaint.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Glazed rear rotors is a possibility. I had this issue for several years, and it was super excessive when towing a camper with mild braking. It turned out to be the rear brake rotors had an uneven glaze (some would mistakenly say warped). When I replaced the rotors all around, the problem vanished. After measuring the thickness of the rootrs they were well within spec, and I did not throw them away. I will have them resurfaced before my next brake change interval, which will be a few years from now.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Flex joint at the 2 piece drive shaft?
D a reset on the transmission.
Check and make sure all 4 tires are the same tread depth and circumference
Worn engine mount?
Worn torque reaction bushing at front or rear diff?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glazed rear rotors is a possibility. I had this issue for several years, and it was super excessive when towing a camper with mild braking. It turned out to be the rear brake rotors had an uneven glaze (some would mistakenly say warped). When I replaced the rotors all around, the problem vanished. After measuring the thickness of the rootrs they were well within spec, and I did not throw them away. I will have them resurfaced before my next brake change interval, which will be a few years from now.
Not the brakes it's when I let off on the gas and roll to a stop.
Very frustrating. It is less noticeable when I put the trans in sport mode that mode keeps the revs up a little higher than in reg mode.
More thoughts welcomed.
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worn engine mount?
Worn torque reaction bushing sound interesting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Worn engine mount?
I was thinking of getting VW to reflash the tranny and they were also going to change the trans fluid see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It would be interesting to find out if any Q7 or Cayenne owners experience the same thing. If not a transmission recoding would help most likely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2017 V6 does this as well, and always has since new. The engine has a shake at around 1200 rpm. If you hover at 1200 while in park you will feel it shaking a bit, as well. It’s something that I’ve come to terms with as a minor annoyance in an otherwise excellent vehicle. Mines got 50k on it now and that minor shudder is my only complaint.
I just tried this and your correct it does shake at 1200 ish rpm
Weird
Anyone else have this shake in park at 1200 rpm ish.
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's the shake that I feel when slowing down, it occurs exactly at 1100 to 1200 rpm when the tranny shifts from 3rd to 2nd to 1st.
I wonder if VW can change the engine mapping to rev above that 1200 rpm zone? (Like it does in sport mode, don't want to drive in sport mode all the time lol) I still have my appointment next Friday at VW and I'll see what they say and see if VW techline has any solution. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts

Glazed rotors happens for a few reasons. The biggest reason is improper bed-in for new brakes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's the shake that I feel when slowing down, it occurs exactly at 1100 to 1200 rpm when the tranny shifts from 3rd to 2nd to 1st.
I wonder if VW can change the engine mapping to rev above that 1200 rpm zone? (Like it does in sport mode, don't want to drive in sport mode all the time lol) I still have my appointment next Friday at VW and I'll see what they say and see if VW techline has any solution. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks
Let me know what the result is from the dealership. You really feel this when driving in stop/go traffic because you're coasting with the engine around 1,200 rpm quite a bit. If you pop the transmission into neutral as you coast down the shudder goes away so this is a pretty clear engine vibration issue to me. Mine's done this since I drove it off the lot with 9 miles on it almost 3 years ago so I think that pretty clearly rules out worn mounts on any of the driveline components. As you say sport mode helps as it keeps the revs up above 1,300.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Let me know what the result is from the dealership. You really feel this when driving in stop/go traffic because you're coasting with the engine around 1,200 rpm quite a bit. If you pop the transmission into neutral as you coast down the shudder goes away so this is a pretty clear engine vibration issue to me. Mine's done this since I drove it off the lot with 9 miles on it almost 3 years ago so I think that pretty clearly rules out worn mounts on any of the driveline components. As you say sport mode helps as it keeps the revs u p above 1,300.
Exactly right on TDI

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many newer T3 have this issue. It’s very noticeable in cold weather and goes away when it’s warm. That tells me it has nothing to do with the trans function. I have had this since day 1 of my 2015. I expected something to give by now, but nothing has changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya I'm sure it's purely engine related. I was just thinking if the transmission was programmed to shift from 3rd to 2nd to first at a higher rpm other than 1200 would mask the vibration . But that's only masking it not solving it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking if those trucks with the same engine/trans combo we have don't have this problem maybe its the transmission coding they have.
Maybe your right Suzy.
They may have different tranny coding to downshift above the 1200 rpm shake zone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was thinking of getting VW to reflash the tranny and they were also going to change the trans fluid see if that makes a difference.
Hi
id suggest it could be a faulty transmission oil pressure valve in the torque convertor there shouldnt be any worn parts in trans that have only done a small amount of kms

1 - 20 of 59 Posts