Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 VW Touareg has been making this sound for years. Finally getting around to trying to diagnose. Largely unpredictable. Generally it’s always happening. Seems more pronounced on startup, and quiets down after a while. Never stops completely though

It is not the blower. I replaced that a few years ago. Also the blower is much lower. This is behind the dashboard, seemingly above and behind the glovebox.

YouTube link to get an idea of the sound:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am thinking it’s time fo a new blower motor again. These motors don’t last forever especially some of the aftermarket brands. My 05 Treg is on blower motor number four. Two OEMs and two aftermarket with the latest a VDO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree with you, but it has been making this noise since before I replaced the blower motor. The noise seemed unchanged by the blower motor replacement.

It’s probably hard to get a sense for the direction of the noise in the video, but in the car I would say it’s 1-2 feet above the blower location.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A service guy once told me the Tregs can develop problems with the flaps inside the heater box located in the center console area, not sure exactly where. I don’t think there are other moving parts in that area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should just pop the dash off.
A service guy once told me the Tregs can develop problems with the flaps inside the heater box located in the center console area, not sure exactly where. I don’t think there are other moving parts in that area.
Thanks I’ll look into that.

I guess I should just pop the dashboard off and look but I don’t have a good place to work right now. Was really hoping to have a plan of attack before taking the dash off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a second blower fan, I'm pretty sure, no? (The first being in the passenger footwell.)
That is news to me. Starting to seem like a good place to look.
The one in the passenger footwell is the one I replaced.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You are correct, some year models with the luxury climate control has a blower motor in the rear as well. The reason I know is because a parts vendor sent me the rear blower by mistake and I found the diagram on the dealer website to check for the correct part numbers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How hard is it to take off the dash on one of these cars? I installed a Bluetooth kit to the radio and that required taking the head unit out. Which required special keys. Similar challenges on the dash, I’m assuming?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts