Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our first winter with the 2008 Treg and it exhibited some strange behavior on our trip to Maine (through Winter Storm Decima -- what a stupid name).

We drove through a major league lake effect plume for about an hour on our way and we're pleased with how it handled the roads. Oh, except the washer fluid was frozen.

Day #1 in Maine it's -6 and the truck is not happy about shifting in the morning. Took an extra moment to think about going into gear and when we started off (first 10 minutes or so) she surged a few times as we took off from a stop. Seemed to be less of an issue if we really tromped on the accelerator. But got periodic mild surging going up hills, etc.

Day #2 going up to Bangor in a fairly heavy snow (still in the single digits -8) but she behaved quite nicely till we made the turn-around to head back home then it felt like it just wasn't running right. Didn't want to really accelerate well, was major league downshifting on moderate hills. It would go 70, but not up hills -- cruise control couldn't hold the speed. I wondered if it was in some sorta limp mode. My son wondered if I just wasn't used to the AWD.

Later Day #2 the snow got sleety and rainy and it developed a huge vibration at speed. At first I thought it was the road (ice on the road, but it didn't matter the surface -- it just shook). I could only go about 60mph. I pulled over too see if I had a tire going down, but everything seemed normalish. I wondered if I'd thrown a wheel weight.

Even Later Day #2 by this time we were in MA and the temperature finally crept up into the mid-20s and the vibration slowly went away and all the power came back. It climbed mountains effortlessly and any transmission hesitation disappeared. Washer fluid unfroze about this time, too.

Hmmmmmmmm. Theory #1 -- These monster 19 inch wheels collect snow (on the inside of the rim)? Or somewhere else under the vehicle? I wondered if there was snow clogging something that, once the road salt started melting stuff, fixed the problem.

Theory #2 Some sort of sensors were clogged/frozen up?

Anyway, I live in Western NY and cold weather and piles of snow are a fact here. Any clue what I should be looking for?

thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
444 Posts
I feel sometimes when I first start my treg, if it's really cold, it's extremely sluggish. Especially lately, it's been in the single digits. It goes away as it warms up.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Washer fluid freezing is dependent on the strength/specification of the washer fluid, using neat concentrate if necessary - you clearly need a good one that'll work below -6F.

Diesel or petrol/gasoline? Winter diesel needs to be correct specification for the climate - fuel filter needs regular changing at specified interval and possibly interim draining of moisture.

Has the ATF been changed at the specified interval?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Wide wheels and snow don't go together! I've had bad wheel vibration with an uneven layer of snow and ice stuck on the inner rims being the cause.

As above, common sense says use a screen wash strength that copes with the ambient conditions. I add methylated spirits to mine.

If you tried to use the rear wash wipe when it's frozen you may now have a leak in the roof above the trunk area where the line might have popped. Known issue on T1 and T2 cars.

There is no official recommended ATF change as far as VW is concerned on the T1 and T2 as the transmission is, in VW parlance, "sealed for life" which is stupid!

From our collective experience it is sensible maintenance to renew all transmission fluids (gearbox, diffs and transfer box) at 60,000 miles, or earlier if yu tow something heavy a lot.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Methylated spirit, otherwise known a denatured alcohol, is basically 90% ethanol with 10% methanol to make it undrinkable !!!

Higher ethanol content is the usual feature of winter screen wash concentrate.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I wondered why I don't enjoy the stuff!

Love the smell when you squirt the screen though, of course, on the Touareg the air vents shut automatically.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New washer fluid is on the list, of course. Doesn't seem like anything is leaking in the headliner, yet. I was also surprised, given how intelligent this vehicle seems to be, that the computer didn't tell me it was frozen!

Wide wheels and snow don't go together! I've had bad wheel vibration with an uneven layer of snow and ice stuck on the inner rims being the cause.

As above, common sense says use a screen wash strength that copes with the ambient conditions. I add methylated spirits to mine.

If you tried to use the rear wash wipe when it's frozen you may now have a leak in the roof above the trunk area where the line might have popped. Known issue on T1 and T2 cars.

There is no official recommended ATF change as far as VW is concerned on the T1 and T2 as the transmission is, in VW parlance, "sealed for life" which is stupid!

From our collective experience it is sensible maintenance to renew all transmission fluids (gearbox, diffs and transfer box) at 60,000 miles, or earlier if yu tow something heavy a lot.
So short of going to the car wash, is there an easy way to clean out that snow on the inner rims, noobytoogy?

Oh, and tranny fluid and filter were just changed. I'm not sure it had ever been done.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The short answer is no!

Here in the UK we very rarely get proper winter weather - I only wish we did as I love what other people call "bad weather". I hate sunshine with a vengeance and I would be a storm chaser in the US!

But the last time we had a decent snow fall, whilst the snow and ice were inside the rims and before I only disturbed only part of the muck, the wheels were in balance probably due to centrifugal force distributing the crud evenly.

I only got the balance problem when I didn't clean out the rims well enough. I didn't initially realise what the issue was so I went home slowly and took another car for the day. Luckily I cleaned the wheels again before fearing the worst and rushing off to my local dealer!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I use my snow/ice scraper to push out the snow from the wheels. But since I swapped my 19" rims for 17" rims, I have not had the problem since.
On 17" rims, there's so little clearance over the brake caliper, the snow/slush doesn't get chance to build up - another good reason for using 17" winter tyres.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I had 17 inch wheels!

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Not sure what you experienced there, I've spent the past 10 years flogging touaregs thru snow and cold and haven't had any of those issues. A few things to keep in mind

1. Use diesel anti gel additive if travelling south to north.
2. Snow may collect in the wheels, so just get out and knock it off with a snow brush.
3. Turn off traction control in deep snow

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Regarding the freezing temperatures and lack of power specifically: There were some Tregs that didn't have weep holes in the exhaust (search on here) and this resulted in condensate being trapped in the exhaust which could then freeze and partially to totally obstruct the exhaust from passing thru (in other words your truck won't run).

The solution to this is ridiculous (considering how expensive the truck was to begin with) and consists of drilling a small hole in the exhaust pipe at certain low points towards the rear to allow draining of said H2O before it can freeze and leave you stranded (again search I don't remember exactly where).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Regarding the freezing temperatures and lack of power specifically: There were some Tregs that didn't have weep holes in the exhaust (search on here) and this resulted in condensate being trapped in the exhaust which could then freeze and partially to totally obstruct the exhaust from passing thru (in other words your truck won't run).

The solution to this is ridiculous (considering how expensive the truck was to begin with) and consists of drilling a small hole in the exhaust pipe at certain low points towards the rear to allow draining of said H2O before it can freeze and leave you stranded (again search I don't remember exactly where).

Only a very small issue for none turbo and no issue for turbo to overcome a exhaust blockage.

There are no P traps, so it will not become totally blocked and that would be alot of fluid in your exhaust. >:)

Oh and dont use the pink or fluid with windshield protectent. It coats your fluid sensor and "ruins" your holding tank.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
From memory there were at least two threads that I recall where, because the owner was doing a short commute, the suitcase wasn't getting hot enough for the water in the exhaust to evaporate so it condensed in the silencer and then froze overnight thus blocking the exhaust and stopping the car from starting the next day.

I seem to recall someone taking a photo of the water draining through a newly drilled weep hole once the car had thawed out at the local garage!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Humpfh. Well, it is true that when it's 8 below Fahrenheit there's never a time when you don't have visible condensation coming out of the tail pipes. I suppose that could have been frozen up (explaining the poor performance) and ice in the wheels (explaining the shuddering).

Drilling holes in a perfectly good exhaust system (on a vehicle as close to a Porsche as I'll ever own) is a bit depressing, but I'll probably do it anyway.

Anybody have an image that shows the location to drill? I have the OEM exhaust, but I'm not seeing any vehicle specific tutorials. (I'm a visual guy.) :)

Thanks again, for all the help!

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it was ice in the exhaust, unless it was a total blockage that would prevent starting, the problem would clear in a few minutes of running hot exhaust past it. I would find out what was really wrong before drilling any holes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts