Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me there opinion about putting straight pipes on a v8 2004 treg. I've seen it done on YouTube, however, would like to here about personal experiences with that setup

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
178 Posts
I have muffler delete on my 2005 V8 and I love it. It makes the car more fun to drive. Its not obnoxiously loud and kinda quiet on the highway. I mean you hear the exhaust, a little drone, but the cabin is quiet and you can have a conversation without raising your voice at all. But I have to say it does affect my mpg because it sounds so good and i'm always on the throttle.

A number of us here, many in fact, have done it. I have two videos on youtube on it, but I will take pics of the set up and a video today and post it here.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Since OP asked, here it goes. My opinion is that it sounds awful. Period.
I’m not from Oklahoma though, so there may be something I’m missing. It ain’t teeth though! Heyooooo!!

I kid, I have extended family from Enid... so some truth makes the humor work?

If you poke back in the annals of history on here, I went through 3 different cat-back Leistung (owned by HHR now iirc) exhausts. The first and loudest one was fun for about 5 minutes. The drone on the highway and the slinking in and out of my old neighborhood to avoid the obnoxious sound of an automatic trans climbing and dropping RPM’s just added to the awfulness of living with it. When I finally got a proper exhaust setup that enhanced, not over-amplified the exhaust note, it was fantastic. A nice German V8 growl on WOT, subtle purr on normal acceleration, and quiet as can be when you wanted it to be.

Making this auto trans, Lux off-roader sound like a motorboat is f’ng stupid and embarrassing. Again, my opinion and personal experience/taste. Your vehicle so do what you want but realize the impression it leaves others. I’d hate to be your neighbor if you do it.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
178 Posts
Since OP asked, here it goes. My opinion is that it sounds awful. Period.

If you poke back in the annals of history on here, I went through 3 different cat-back Leistung (owned by HHR now iirc) exhausts. The first and loudest one was fun for about 5 minutes. The drone on the highway and the slinking in and out of my old neighborhood to avoid the obnoxious sound of an automatic trans climbing and dropping RPM’s just added to the awfulness of living with it. When I finally got a proper exhaust setup that enhanced, not over-amplified the exhaust note, it was fantastic. A nice German V8 growl on WOT, subtle purr on normal acceleration, and quiet as can be when you wanted it to be.

Your vehicle so do what you want but realize the impression it leaves others. I’d hate to be your neighbor if you do it.
I was aware of proper exhaust setups and some mufflers out there to enhance the tone of the exhaust prior to doing this, but I was looking for something relatively cheap, and not spend hundreds of dollars, maybe even thousands after labor. I'm happy with it today as I was the first time.
I don't like attention. I did this for me, but it does bring some sort of attention, positive ones. Many can't just figure out how a "volkswagen" sounds like that. No-one has has ever complained. I guess thats because it's the South? People are very nice and friendly here, unlike many other states.
I'd hate to be my neighbor too😂. Two neighbors have Subaru WRX STI that are pretty loud and others too. So they can't complain🤷🏾‍♂️
But I totally understand some people don't like it.

I thought I'd drop this here in case anyone wants to hear how the take off sounds. Someone asked earlier for something like this

·
Registered
554 Posts
Necks that are red do tend to like these sort of things. 😉 I just don’t. People in Colorado are nice, we just have different sensibilities.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If that’s your neighborhood then I don’t see why anyone would complain. Ain’t no one even out there to bother! 😂

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
German v8s tend to sound very good and aggressive. The Touareg is no different, Volkswagen makes an excellent V8. There are different exhausts you can buy that will alter the sounds but you can also delete the muffler of the cat. I think you should only do one of the other because on a gas engine when you delete both the muffler and the catalytic converter things tend to start getting crazy and out of hand. Loud and resonating.

Best thing you can do is research different exhaust types for the Touareg or the Cayenne or even other Volkswagen and Porsche V8 and then go to YouTube and listen to their sound clips

Reactions: Micheld7

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
178 Posts
You can also delete the muffler or the cat. I think you should only do one of the other because on a gas engine when you delete both the muffler and the catalytic converter things tend to start getting crazy and out of hand. Loud and resonating.
I learned that the hard way with my previous Touareg where I had both the secondary cats and muffler off. Loud and resonating.
I have an 08 Touareg V8 and I'm just gonna get the secondary cats deleted and leave the mufflers alone.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Lol

There are some mufflers out there that are made for European engines and could create a low, deep burble while keeping the overall volume down too

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I thought you said that was a V8? Why is nothing happening? I've seen city busses take off at that rate!
Try changing your serpentine belt since the exhaust mod doesn't seem to have improved your performance.... others have seen massive improvement from that kind of maintenance!

·
Registered
554 Posts
The belt mod won’t void your warranty either. 😂

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
178 Posts
I thought you said that was a V8? Why is nothing happening? I've seen city busses take off at that rate!
Try changing your serpentine belt since the exhaust mod doesn't seem to have improved your performance.... others have seen massive improvement from that kind of maintenance!
😂Yes Its a V8😅. Some excuses:
The tire size definitely has affected the acceleration. I'm sitting on 31.2" tires, much bigger than factory recommended 28.7-29" tire size.
I did not go all in on the pedal. I went about half way in because I don't really like slamming the gas pedal, not that I feel like something is going to break. I rarely do that. Also, the trans was in D and not in S.
I had the serpentine belt, timing belt, water pump and all the other good stuff replaced at 74k miles, 2 years ago. We are approaching 99k miles, so It's not been that long.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Pedal definitely wasn't all the way down in those videos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts