Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post this fix for anyone else who has this issue. The oem ski rack and cross bars whistle very loud at 50-65mph. It is especially bad if you have the panoramic sunroof. I first tried filling in the exposed mounting track on the crossbars by cutting the oem top strip and adding it to either side of the ski rack. This did not fix the problem as the whistling was also caused by wind going in between the crossbars and ski rack. I removed the racks and added flat automotive weather stripping (the kind used between a truck bed and shell) to the bottom of the ski rack to fill in the space between the racks and the crossbars. This fixed the problem completely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also positionning on the roof helps. It kinda go with trials and errors. I dont know if mine whistle normal or not. But it doesnt bother me. They are kind of a bit further backwards.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have the OEM roof bars and the front bar has 2 plastic tab on the bottom, approx 70mm long that moves the air differently , which stops the bars whistling at speed. When a ski rack is added then it will react differently
One of the plastic tabs came off and there was a slight whistle. Glued it back on and the whistle went away.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also have the OEM Cross bars and notice no whistling at a wide variety of speeds. There is slightly more wind noise, but nothing objectionable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
RocketTech
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing