Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving home tonight and noticed that I was bouncing down the road, when the STOP FAULT RUNNING GEAR appeared, and I pulled over. I turned the vehicle off, then let it sit, then restarted and continued to drive and everything seemed OK, then the error came up again, and when I got home a few minutes later, I noticed the rear of my car was LOW. I did a VAGCOM and P0100 and 01772 came up. Should I not drive my vehicle? Not sure what to do and worried that the cost to fix will be $$$$$.

·
Registered
531 Posts
P0100 is a MAF fault, try cleaning w/ MAF cleaner first, check wiring and connection or replace MAF.

01772 is a level control fault, first check to see if you are leaking air and use some bubbles fluid that you get for kids to blow bubbles. If you can't find any leaks it could be a bad control module (J197) or a bad level control pressure sensor (G291) or the wiring between the two.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Go into your air suspension module and pull the module faults, too. Post your scan results here if you can.

But X2 on the soapy water. Dilute some regular dish soap and start spraying it on your air lines and the air suspension struts themselves. Also remove the plastic cover underneath the vehicle on the USA passenger side and spray the valve block where all the lines come together (right next to and connected to the air compressor).

Sounds like something is leaking since only the rear end of the car dropped.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Don't drive the car. It's suspension going out of balance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I don't have an Air suspension choice on my VAG, so I am unable to check those codes. I believe you are correct that there is a leak in the rear because the front is fine. I just hope that it is a quick and inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
HOLD UP. This can be much easier.
Mine did the EXACT same thing and it's quite simple.

On your upper control arms, you'll see your level sensors for the EAS and headlights. This is a cheaply made butterfly clip held component that falls down. So what likely happened is: One fell down and your car thinks a wheel is hanging underneath the body somewhere(the car doesn't have logical reasoning).

The roadside fix is to ziptie the sensor to the arm. You want to avoid unplugging it because that can be the host of a dealer trip on a flatbed to re-calibrate your suspension.

The sensor is on a pinky-size plastic arm and is on the rear side of the upper control arm in a small hole. Jack your car up, use jack stands, and you'll be able to stuff your head in there and see it. I'm going to look for pictures to aid in my description. *Standby

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Pictures would help!! My neighbor has a lift so hopefully we can get it up and hope for the best.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK, I found a thread on CT. This guy did a good job at explaining how this works and mentions some additional caution that I forgot about.
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f73/diy-front-headlight-range-level-sensor-change-56907.html

I felt like a total pro after I had this happen on the other side on my way to work. I pulled off the freeway, found a parking lot, grabbed my zip-ties out of the glovebox and as long as there was a door open, the car wouldn't lower onto my arms. Made it to work but only 2 minutes early instead of 10.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Is your Vag not VCDS from Ross-Tech?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just found out that I need a new Air compressor and the total cost with installation would be $2,000. A good friend of mine said that he feels that I am getting ripped off. Not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
What is being replaced? A new compressor through the mechanic will be $$$. Or you can get a generic knock off for around $200 USD and install it yourself. But I suspect perhaps something else is wrong, too.

Regardless, if you aren't able to repair it yourself or don't have the time to do so, it is sometimes worth the $$ to pay someone else to fix it.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!! Just want to Update on the STOP RUNNING FAULT Error. It was the Air Compressor that needed to be replaced . Instead of paying $1600 for a new OEM, I found one at a wrecking yard for $380 and had installed. Everything is working. I am also glad that none of the air bags were leaking. Instead of Paying $2000, I was able to get it fixed for $650 including labor.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That's great news.

Check your invoice and make sure they replaced your air compressor RELAY. It's underneath the dash. VW recommends replacing it EVERY time you replace the air compressor. Because it handles a large current, over time the relay could become pitted and arc weld itself shut, leaving the compressor turned on and eventually either burn out the compressor or blow an air line, or both.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts