Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the suspension goes to its "Xtra Level" it can feel especially stiff due to high pressure. This is probably what you're experiencing. It takes a lot of air to keep that much VW elevated!
Onto the deep puddles. 2 things.
1. Nice! I did that with mine and it was a lot of fun.
2. There's a chance something got wet that shouldn't have but I'm not convinced that's as likely. The more probable is that a sensor came loose and is causing the car to compensate because it thinks one corner is also super high or low. When my front sensor fell, I think the car saw a high value because the sensor was upside-down and then it dropped the front to get closer to normal height.
Fixed with a zip-tie! Owe you a bottle of vodka for this one! No more puddles for me though. I think that the immense water pressure at that speed could have been the cause. Once again thanks. Let me know if you ever visit Poland.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fixed with a zip-tie! Owe you a bottle of vodka for this one! No more puddles for me though. I think that the immense water pressure at that speed could have been the cause. Once again thanks. Let me know if you ever visit Poland.
Glad it worked! I had a few in the car for the few times I was driving and saw the alert and the nose dropped. Had it down to a 2-minute thing until I got a good lock on how to secure it. By the way, Poland is now on the list!(have some Polish blood in me)

Another user also has an interesting point and might be able to help me further understand the Xtra Level. I believe he's right about comfort mode which sends the ride height up and keeps low pressure whereas Xtra essentially closes the dampers in the shock and adds a ton of air on one side to keep it up with little piston movement. Comfort would want the piston to move more and that would make sense to me but if there's more to it, I'd like to know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad it worked! I had a few in the car for the few times I was driving and saw the alert and the nose dropped. Had it down to a 2-minute thing until I got a good lock on how to secure it. By the way, Poland is now on the list!(have some Polish blood in me)

Another user also has an interesting point and might be able to help me further understand the Xtra Level. I believe he's right about comfort mode which sends the ride height up and keeps low pressure whereas Xtra essentially closes the dampers in the shock and adds a ton of air on one side to keep it up with little piston movement. Comfort would want the piston to move more and that would make sense to me but if there's more to it, I'd like to know.
Nice to hear about the Polish blood. That will make the digestion of vodka much easier! The Great Lakes area is no stranger to me. I'm Polish-Canadian, my parents still live in Ontario not far form Toronto.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,365 Posts
The pressure in the air bag regulates the ride height.

The electrical damper in the hydraulic shock controls comfort-auto-sport.

There are two separate systems working together for the air ride.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
26 Posts
The pressure in the air bag regulates the ride height.

The electrical damper in the hydraulic shock controls comfort-auto-sport.

There are two separate systems working together for the air ride.
The pressure does not regulate the height. It is the amount of air in the system air bag that sets the height. How much air is admitted or removed to raise or lower the car is determined by the height sensors. The pressure in the bags is approximately constant for any height and any given load on that wheel. It varies a little due to suspension geometry changes over the height range but that pressure variation is small compared to the other factors.

cheers
Rohan

41 - 45 of 45 Posts