Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
^^Good luck. I hope the by getting it to drop to a more normal height and clearing the codes will fix it.

Now, let see if we can get a basic understanding of how this system works. Here is a picture of a typical air shock. The front and the rear shocks are basically the same, the front being slightly more complicated. But they all are basically like this.

Here is the self study for the air system. http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_302.PDF

Let just skip of the CDC valve. This is what adjusts you from comfort-auto-sport mode. It is not the problem and that is all we need to cover on it today.

So, now we are looking at a shock, just like any other car, with a big air bag around it. This is why there is no spring. This air bag does what the spring would do on any other car. It has the added feature that if you add more air, the car goes up. If you let out air, the car goes down.

You are too high, you have too much air in the shock. Letting the air out should be super simple, right? No, it is German. It is not simple.

Notice that there is only one air hose going in and out. The air pressure inside the shock is is controlled by how much pressure is in the hose.

But what is that thing I see? A residual pressure valve? https://aerosus.com/vw/touareg/vw-touareg-residual-pressure-holding-valve-rear.html

Now, what we usually have a problem with is leaking around the residual air valve. See this thread. http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/how-to-replace-a-residual-pressure-valve-79332.html

It is a bit of a pain to get out, and sometimes that valve strips out, as it did in that thread. It could also stick shut, which would freeze your shock in position. Now, you are thinking that is my problem. Perhaps, but perhaps not. If this was easy, we would just have you loosen this slightly to let the air out, but German cars don't work that way. lol.

You will just unhook the hose to fix it huh. Well, that will let some air out, but the residual air valve will only let small amounts of air exit the spring at one time. Hence the name residual air valve. Needless to say, this complicates everything.

Once you get the VCDS from Ross Tech, they have a forum that they will help you in. The first thing is to do a scan. You will then save that initial scan. Keep that, it will be important to have it later. Then you clear all the codes. After the codes are cleared, cross your fingers and start the car. If luck is with us, the shocks will re-adjust and this will be over. If not, we can do more troubleshooting after that point.

Oh, VCDS scans really drain your battery. Like having the headlights on type of drain your battery. Best way to do it is to have a battery charger connected to the jumper lugs under the hood. If that is not an option, a battery jump pack is good to have.
Thanks a lot for the specified write up. Means a lot to me.
I already researched the forum, and found this residual air valve as you are speaking of. I just didnt think that might be the problem since all topics are about them was leaking around the 'air spring'.

I got hands of a vdcs today, and when i force the runner gear fault on (switching from off-road to auto ride height) the fault comes up.
Code:
02250 - Function Deactivation: Valve Duty Cycle 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Problem didnt fixed by clearing code fault

Its the rear right that is stuck.

I did as you said, left the car overnight with the air hoses disconnected from the compressor to both rear wheels.
Its funny, the rear left airsuspension blowed out tons of air, and i could see the car lowering itself.

The right rear just blew air for 10 seconds and stopped afterwards, suspension still stuck in highest position.

The car is left for the next 20 hours with the hoses to the rear disconnected, i will get back tomorrow with a check up.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,366 Posts
You are welcome and your thanks are appreciated.

Always remember: The electronic controls won't let the suspension go down if it thinks that a door is open. So, when everything is connected and you go to test the system, be sure you have all doors, the hood, and the rear hatch closed.

Also, Drat! I was hoping that it might be easy. As far as I can tell, you either have a bad residual pressure valve or the solenoid valve that runs that wheel is acting up. The next two possibilities would be a bad level sensor or a bad control module.

But, It would appear that all the air came out of the rear left. Almost no air came out of the rear right. Hmm...This means that one of these are not acting the same. And both of them should be acting the same.

Best guess. It would appear that the rear right has a blockage stopping the air from releasing. I would (and remember if it breaks you are in big trouble) start tapping the residual pressure valve on the right rear. You want to vibrate it as much as possible and you want to be sure not to break it.

You only have the air bag, the residual pressure valve, the hose and a blockage. And the fact that air comes out for 10 seconds and stops. I am thinking it is the valve that is the most likely problem.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Read this and pay special attention when you get to post #10

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/how-check-for-leaks-in-air-suspension-32684.html

Take a can of WD40 with you next trip???
FIXED !!!

the residual valve on the rear suspension was stuck.
I climbed beneath the car (raised to xtra level) and put a jack under the wheel.

Then i first tried to hot steam the valve to heat it up, and maybe loosen it.
Afterwards i drowned the fu#¤er with wd-40 and then used a 400 mm drill and a hammer to knock on the outside. (very difficult to reach)
After i smacked it a couple of times i heard air coming from the disconnected hose at the compressor, pfffs, and the car was low.

Connected everything and the air suspension is now flawless again. Thanks very much for the help. I assue VW would charge me two new suspensions + labor (aprrox 5-6000 USD), som im very satisfied with the quick fix.

NOTE:

Im replacing all wish bones and ball joints, and i will order four new resiudual vales and change these at the same time.

Again thanks a lot for help and troubleshooting, i dont know what i would do without your help :)

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
:joy:I am so pleased that it is FIXED!!!!:joy:

The dealer would had replaced the rear air shock. It would had been an expensive repair.

German cars can be so frustrating, but it feels so good when you get them working. Especially if you fix them yourself for free. Now you can pretend all weekend that you have an extra few thousand in your pocket. Lol.

Now, don't be a stranger. Jump on the forum and ask questions and post lots of comments. That way we all get smarter.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
A good starting place for other suspension related issues are the level sensors which, when the clip breaks that holds one end to the upper control arm, the car will assume it's not level and in a misguided attempt to fix itself, dropped the front end to the bump stops. By reattaching(not replacing due to the dealer re-calibration and time) the car then lifted itself to normal height and remained but threw the "Running Gear" fault.
Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FIXED !!!

the residual valve on the rear suspension was stuck.
I climbed beneath the car (raised to xtra level) and put a jack under the wheel.

Then i first tried to hot steam the valve to heat it up, and maybe loosen it.
Afterwards i drowned the fu#¤er with wd-40 and then used a 400 mm drill and a hammer to knock on the outside. (very difficult to reach)
After i smacked it a couple of times i heard air coming from the disconnected hose at the compressor, pfffs, and the car was low.

Connected everything and the air suspension is now flawless again. Thanks very much for the help. I assue VW would charge me two new suspensions + labor (aprrox 5-6000 USD), som im very satisfied with the quick fix.

NOTE:

Im replacing all wish bones and ball joints, and i will order four new resiudual vales and change these at the same time.

Again thanks a lot for help and troubleshooting, i dont know what i would do without your help :)

Hi!

Same thing happened to me few weeks back. My wife called and said that there is a running gear fault on display. At first I thought that it was due the compressor because I've had some issues with it last winter, but when I got home I immediately noticed that the rear of the car was lifted on top position. After a bit searching I found this thread and I decided to have a look at the pressure rentention valves, because they seemed to be the problem now.

Right after crawling under the car, I noticed some ice formation (ice crystals) on the right side valve. Temperature had been around +2c and a lots of wet snow here in Finland and then it froze to few minus degrees. I jacked up the rear end and used my heat gun with some extension pipe to reach valve to melt the ice. After a while when ice crystals were gone and the whole valve seemed warm enough, I hit it with a hammer. I recall I heard also some hissing every time I hit it. I did the same to the left side valve, but did not hear hissing.

Then I started the car and set the ride height of offroad position and then back to normal height. Right then I heard a small bang on the right side damper and car lowered down to correct height. It's been working since then.

I wonder is this just one time happening or should I start to prepare to change those valves?

Br,
Jukka

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow! This really does work!
I thought I would be replacing parts but just some WD-40 on the valves fixed it.
In case someone else can’t spot the valves, I couldn’t find them, they are facing the inside, at the top of the shock. See the photo below.
Also, a safety caution, make sure you put the vehicle on safety jacks. You don’t want the valves to start working while you are underneath.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem too, today the back of the car goes down and STOP FAULT RUNNING GEAR sign is now red, before it was orange and wanished allways when you shut down the car?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Guys this happened to me today,I noticed I was driving with tire on low air. Can this cause the error?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks a lot for the specified write up. Means a lot to me.
I already researched the forum, and found this residual air valve as you are speaking of. I just didnt think that might be the problem since all topics are about them was leaking around the 'air spring'.

I got hands of a vdcs today, and when i force the runner gear fault on (switching from off-road to auto ride height) the fault comes up.
Code:
02250 - Function Deactivation: Valve Duty Cycle 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Problem didnt fixed by clearing code fault

Its the rear right that is stuck.

I did as you said, left the car overnight with the air hoses disconnected from the compressor to both rear wheels.
Its funny, the rear left airsuspension blowed out tons of air, and i could see the car lowering itself.

The right rear just blew air for 10 seconds and stopped afterwards, suspension still stuck in highest position.

The car is left for the next 20 hours with the hoses to the rear disconnected, i will get back tomorrow with a check up.
Hey everyone, first time here. My Touareg has the stop running gear fault signal. It was first orange and then it turned red after I started to lower, rise and lock. Just before, the signal appeared I was going pretty fast through some deep puddles splashing the water over the roof. Now the front is blocked in the off read level extra and very stiff as if locked in position with a metal bar. I would really appreciate any help you could provide on this subject.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's quite likely there's an air suspension level sensor that is maybe detached and possibly pushed up too high on one corner. The car will respond to extremes in both high and low levels if one sensor is giving a ridiculous value. Check the upper control arms. You should see a small plastic arm with a ~1" by 1/2" box that SHOULD be attached to the bottoming of the upper arm. The sensor arms have a few joints so don't hesitate to lightly lubricate them so they rotate properly. If the little butterfly clips that hold it to the arm are broken, zip-tie them. Don't unplug them unless you have the software and hardware to calibrate the suspension system. (Fun fact: the dealer has this. 🙄)
Check all 4 corners and ensure they're in place. Fixed mine in a hurry which had a sensor fall so the nose would drop and the back would stay up. If you have any VW scan tool, it can point you towards the derelict corner. If I left something out, let me know.
Hey everyone, first time here. My Touareg has the stop running gear fault signal. It was first orange and then it turned red after I started to lower, rise and lock. Just before, the signal appeared I was going pretty fast through some deep puddles splashing the water over the roof. Now the front is blocked in the off read level extra and very stiff as if locked in position with a metal bar. I would really appreciate any help you could provide on this subject.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks! I have two questions: why did the front suspension get so stiff? It feels like there is a steel bar holding it there or something. Could going through deep puddles and splashing the water around have something to do with this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's quite likely there's an air suspension level sensor that is maybe detached and possibly pushed up too high on one corner. The car will respond to extremes in both high and low levels if one sensor is giving a ridiculous value. Check the upper control arms. You should see a small plastic arm with a ~1" by 1/2" box that SHOULD be attached to the bottoming of the upper arm. The sensor arms have a few joints so don't hesitate to lightly lubricate them so they rotate properly. If the little butterfly clips that hold it to the arm are broken, zip-tie them. Don't unplug them unless you have the software and hardware to calibrate the suspension system. (Fun fact: the dealer has this. 🙄)
Check all 4 corners and ensure they're in place. Fixed mine in a hurry which had a sensor fall so the nose would drop and the back would stay up. If you have any VW scan tool, it can point you towards the derelict corner. If I left something out, let me know.
Thanks! I have two questions: why did the front suspension get so stiff? It feels like there is a steel bar holding it there or something. Could going through deep puddles and splashing the water around have something to do with this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
When the suspension goes to its "Xtra Level" it can feel especially stiff due to high pressure. This is probably what you're experiencing. It takes a lot of air to keep that much VW elevated!
Onto the deep puddles. 2 things.
1. Nice! I did that with mine and it was a lot of fun.
2. There's a chance something got wet that shouldn't have but I'm not convinced that's as likely. The more probable is that a sensor came loose and is causing the car to compensate because it thinks one corner is also super high or low. When my front sensor fell, I think the car saw a high value because the sensor was upside-down and then it dropped the front to get closer to normal height.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
29 Posts
A higher pressure is not required for a higher suspension level as the weight and piston area is the same. The suspension is actually a lower spring rate i.e. softer, as the air chamber volume is larger at the higher levels. This is why the comfort setting lifts the car to give a softer longer travel spring as well as softening the dampers to match

If the car goes to the highest possible level and the suspension is very hard suggests a problem with the level sensors and its pumping air in to try to reach the set sensor level and never getting there so it is pumping to maximum pressure and the car is going to maximum height

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the suspension goes to its "Xtra Level" it can feel especially stiff due to high pressure. This is probably what you're experiencing. It takes a lot of air to keep that much VW elevated!
Onto the deep puddles. 2 things.
1. Nice! I did that with mine and it was a lot of fun.
2. There's a chance something got wet that shouldn't have but I'm not convinced that's as likely. The more probable is that a sensor came loose and is causing the car to compensate because it thinks one corner is also super high or low. When my front sensor fell, I think the car saw a high value because the sensor was upside-down and then it dropped the front to get closer to normal height.
Fixed with a zip-tie! Owe you a bottle of vodka for this one! No more puddles for me though. I think that the immense water pressure at that speed could have been the cause. Once again thanks. Let me know if you ever visit Poland.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts