Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Ive been looking over and over for someone with same problem as i have.
My touareg wouldnt lower its rear end the other day, and im now getting stop fault running gear failures.
Its come up once before, but when i locked the car, it lowered it self, and went back to normal.
The from air ride works fine.
It looks like its the rear right suspension that is stuck, its higher than the left side.
Could it be the level sensor? Any one had simular problems?

Ive searched this forum for simular problems, but only running gear failures ive found was dead battery and harness failures. (i got a new battery) I do har some brake fault issues, and i will go through the harness in the drivers footwell in the nearest time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You will get a "stop, fault, running gear" warning for any suspension error that results in one or more wheels being either too high or too low. I got it when my compressor failed (fitting issue) and the suspension was down on the stops.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

What kind of fitting issues were you troubled with?

I can hear the compressor run when I start the car for 10 seconds, and after 3-4 minutes drive the stop fault running gear comes up.

I'm guessing it isn't a compressor issue when the wear is stuck all time high.

Ordered a vdcs on eBay, still awaiting arrival for diagnostics.

Best regards Philip

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im still troubled with the air suspension.

Its only the rear left strut that is stuck in xtra high.
The car is tilting and it goes off the road, having to steer to the left to compensate.

The compressor is running (i can hear it) and it seems like the other wheels do adjust untill the runner gear fault comes on (car and two arrows up and down)

Im still awaiting my ordered vdcs, and cannot do any dianostics until it arrives.

Now that it is only the one rear wheel that is stuck and wont go down, im suspecting the ride height sensor must be replaced, and thinking about ordering one while waiting for the vdcs, would that be a waste of money before diagnosis?

Best regards

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this issue but seemed like both were stuck in the high position in the rear. It happened after it was repaired and I don't think the mechanic locked the suspension before raising it. It wasn't until I raised the suspension shortly after when it was stuck up in the rear. Anyway I had a different mechanic friend look at it and he fixed it by releasing the air pressure. I believe he accessed the different colored tubes by the compressor and just popped off the appropriate ones. Sorry I don't remember the color(s) of the tubes he pulled and then reattached. Anyway I hope this helps. Best of luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had this issue but seemed like both were stuck in the high position in the rear. It happened after it was repaired and I don't think the mechanic locked the suspension before raising it. It wasn't until I raised the suspension shortly after when it was stuck up in the rear. Anyway I had a different mechanic friend look at it and he fixed it by releasing the air pressure. I believe he accessed the different colored tubes by the compressor and just popped off the appropriate ones. Sorry I don't remember the color(s) of the tubes he pulled and then reattached. Anyway I hope this helps. Best of luck!
Hey thanks a lot, it was at a shop, and it was raised without jack-funktion enabled. It might be the solution to fix it.

Do you know how to release the air from the compressor?
Did your friend release the air pressure with the car standing on the ground? Maybe raise it, and put jacks under the rear it, then release air?

I will search this forum for color guidance for tubes, thanks a lot ! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Touareg can be on the ground. No need to raise it or use jacks. The idea is just to release a little pressure. The compressor is located on the passenger side under the vehicle. There is a long plastic cover that needs to be removed. You should see several colored hoses.

Look at the rear air suspension closely and you should be able to see colored hoses that connect to them. Those are the two colors you want to disconnect from the compressor. If I remember you should hear a small air release. I think it took a few hour for the suspension to go down on its own after that. Again I hope this helps. It worked for me.

FYI anytime I take my Touareg in to be worked on I stick sticky notes to remind the mechanic to lock the suspension.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Touareg can be on the ground. No need to raise it or use jacks. The idea is just to release a little pressure. The compressor is located on the passenger side under the vehicle. There is a long plastic cover that needs to be removed. You should see several colored hoses.

Look at the rear air suspension closely and you should be able to see colored hoses that connect to them. Those are the two colors you want to disconnect from the compressor. If I remember you should hear a small air release. I think it took a few hour for the suspension to go down on its own after that. Again I hope this helps. It worked for me.

FYI anytime I take my Touareg in to be worked on I stick sticky notes to remind the mechanic to lock the suspension.
Perfect thanks. Ill check the line colors in the wheel well and detatch/loosen those at the compressor. Should i do both rear og just the one that is stuck up high?

My only concern was, it would be impossible to access the compressor on the ground, when the suspension was tapped for air, but ill guess that wont be a problem.

Ill take a look at it in the weekend, and report back afterwards :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I found the connectors (red and yellow hose) detached them at the compressor, some air was fuzzing from the hoses for approximatly 10 seconds, an then stopped. The cars rear end didnt move an inch.
I tried to stand ind the trunk and jump to lower, but it was completely frozen.

Didnt wait a few hours though, just 10-15 minutes because no air was coming out.

Any suggestions?

best regards Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
My rear suspension did not go down right away. I noticed it was normal the next day. Either wait or try raising/lowering the suspension the way you usually do inside the car.

It sounds like you did it though. You released some of the air. Let me know, I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My rear suspension did not go down right away. I noticed it was normal the next day. Either wait or try raising/lowering the suspension the way you usually do inside the car.

It sounds like you did it though. You released some of the air. Let me know, I hope it works for you.
I tried to adjust the ride height with the hoses unconnected, the compressor is running, but gives me allmost instantly runner gear fault (guess thats something with the compressor unconnected to the rear air suspension)

I guess i have to try again and wait and see for results, while im waiting for the vdcs to arrive :)

Still a pretty ****ty car, for two weeks i had to drive with a rear right all time high suspenstion, and compensate the steering 15 degrees to keep it straight, just because it was raised without jack-mode enabled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You've done what you needed to do which is to release a bit of air. Not that I am a mechanic but I believe the suspension got too much air in it when it was raised. So anyway reconnect and try raising/lowering the suspension. Be sure all doors are closed while doing this. Hopefully it should work!

It is a great car in my opinion. The mechanic just needs to know the suspension needs to be locked before being raised.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You've done what you needed to do which is to release a bit of air. Not that I am a mechanic but I believe the suspension got too much air in it when it was raised. So anyway reconnect and try raising/lowering the suspension. Be sure all doors are closed while doing this. Hopefully it should work!

It is a great car in my opinion. The mechanic just needs to know the suspension needs to be locked before being raised.
Im still dealing with this problem, driving with off-road mode it doesnt make any faults, just a little uneven in the rear.
I was going on the freeway, and when the car tries to lower the runner gear fault comes up. Front lowers but rear end stuck high. I took a very light swing, and the antispin started winking, and i could feel it the slipping, very scary.

I dont understand quite, should i try lower/rise the car with the air lines disconnected to the rear? Doesnt it use the compressor to lower the car as well as raise?
Still awaiting the vdcs for diagnostics to arrive, it was shipped from asia...

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,366 Posts

Didnt wait a few hours though, just 10-15 minutes because no air was coming out.

Any suggestions?

best regards Philip
Perhaps follow the instructions. Sigh.

You had it unhooked. Why didn't you just leave it unhooked overnight? Why did you try turning it on and adjusting it with the hoses unhooked.

If your activating a partially disabled system set a major system fault (which is possible), the computer may have disabled the system. If that happened, it will take a real VCDS, or a trip to the dealer, to remove that error code. If it happened, the system is effectively disabled until the code is cleared. A clone VCDS or OBD2 is not going to do it.

German cars are done completely different from American and Asian cars. What works on the American and Asian vehicles, will often end up costing you money on additional repairs when done on a German vehicle.

Still a pretty ****ty car, for two weeks i had to drive with a rear right all time high suspenstion, and compensate the steering 15 degrees to keep it straight, just because it was raised without jack-mode enabled.
Yep. You know, the diesel engine is also a ****ty engine. Fill that sucker up with gas, and it stops running.
Sigh.

I don't know what you VCDS you ordered, but the real one does not take over two weeks to be delivered. Any reading of this forum will quickly lead one to understand that most fixes are not possible without a VCDS system.

Best of luck to you. I hope you don't keep driving it like that. You will end up destroying only your tires (in the best case) or destroying your tires and several thousand dollars of drive train components in the other case.

Yeah, I know. Stupid car.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Still awaiting the vdcs for diagnostics to arrive, it was shipped from asia...

CANCEL YOUR ORDER!!!

You probably did NOT order from Ross-Tech: Home if it's coming from Asia and taking 2 weeks.

The clones are not effective, most of us aren't familiar with them (so we can't tell you how to use the software or interface) and you will NOT get any tech support from RossTech.

Purchasing the REAL VCDS will allow us to help you and point you in the right direction. It will also get you access to the RossTech forums where they have REAL PEOPLE answering your tech questions. Often, it is the Ross Tech employees themselves!

This is not something to try and save money on. Yes, it's a chunk of change, but your Touareg is a luxury vehicle. Expect to pay higher prices for parts and diagnostic equipment. It's not a GM car where any old OBD II reader will do...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps follow the instructions. Sigh.

You had it unhooked. Why didn't you just leave it unhooked overnight? Why did you try turning it on and adjusting it with the hoses unhooked.

If your activating a partially disabled system set a major system fault (which is possible), the computer may have disabled the system. If that happened, it will take a real VCDS, or a trip to the dealer, to remove that error code. If it happened, the system is effectively disabled until the code is cleared. A clone VCDS or OBD2 is not going to do it.

German cars are done completely different from American and Asian cars. What works on the American and Asian vehicles, will often end up costing you money on additional repairs when done on a German vehicle.

Yep. You know, the diesel engine is also a ****ty engine. Fill that sucker up with gas, and it stops running.
Sigh.

I don't know what you VCDS you ordered, but the real one does not take over two weeks to be delivered. Any reading of this forum will quickly lead one to understand that most fixes are not possible without a VCDS system.

Best of luck to you. I hope you don't keep driving it like that. You will end up destroying only your tires (in the best case) or destroying your tires and several thousand dollars of drive train components in the other case.

Yeah, I know. Stupid car.
Sorry i didnt mean to offend your 'touareg-heart' with the ****ty car post :) Ive got this car six month ago, and ive spend as much on repairs as i have on the car. Sure is a nice car to drive, but i guess its reached an age, where things falls apart/need lots of mantainance.
Ive been unlucky with some mechanics, witch damaged new lower wish bones by smashing the rubber cuffs on the ball joints and uncorrect brake fluid change filled with air...

I hav'nt had the oppertunity to leave the air hoses from suspension overnight, because i live in a capital, and have no workshop/areas to fix it. I'll leave the car at a appropiate spot overnight tomorrow with the air hoses disconnected, and see if it goes back to normal.

I'll get hands on a more suited vdcs and run a scan with the runner gear fail present.

Thanks a lot ill get back asap

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the lines connected. If you did this I'm not sure why it did not go down. It may be a different issue than mine or not enough air was released. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,366 Posts
^^Good luck. I hope the by getting it to drop to a more normal height and clearing the codes will fix it.

Now, let see if we can get a basic understanding of how this system works. Here is a picture of a typical air shock. The front and the rear shocks are basically the same, the front being slightly more complicated. But they all are basically like this.

Here is the self study for the air system. http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_302.PDF

Let just skip of the CDC valve. This is what adjusts you from comfort-auto-sport mode. It is not the problem and that is all we need to cover on it today.

So, now we are looking at a shock, just like any other car, with a big air bag around it. This is why there is no spring. This air bag does what the spring would do on any other car. It has the added feature that if you add more air, the car goes up. If you let out air, the car goes down.

You are too high, you have too much air in the shock. Letting the air out should be super simple, right? No, it is German. It is not simple.

Notice that there is only one air hose going in and out. The air pressure inside the shock is is controlled by how much pressure is in the hose.

But what is that thing I see? A residual pressure valve? https://aerosus.com/vw/touareg/vw-touareg-residual-pressure-holding-valve-rear.html

Now, what we usually have a problem with is leaking around the residual air valve. See this thread. http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/how-to-replace-a-residual-pressure-valve-79332.html

It is a bit of a pain to get out, and sometimes that valve strips out, as it did in that thread. It could also stick shut, which would freeze your shock in position. Now, you are thinking that is my problem. Perhaps, but perhaps not. If this was easy, we would just have you loosen this slightly to let the air out, but German cars don't work that way. lol.

You will just unhook the hose to fix it huh. Well, that will let some air out, but the residual air valve will only let small amounts of air exit the spring at one time. Hence the name residual air valve. Needless to say, this complicates everything.

Once you get the VCDS from Ross Tech, they have a forum that they will help you in. The first thing is to do a scan. You will then save that initial scan. Keep that, it will be important to have it later. Then you clear all the codes. After the codes are cleared, cross your fingers and start the car. If luck is with us, the shocks will re-adjust and this will be over. If not, we can do more troubleshooting after that point.

Oh, VCDS scans really drain your battery. Like having the headlights on type of drain your battery. Best way to do it is to have a battery charger connected to the jumper lugs under the hood. If that is not an option, a battery jump pack is good to have.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts