Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently deployed with the Army and am considering buying an SUV when I get home - I have it down to the Touareg TDI and the Cherokee Eco-Diesel..

I'm seriously leaning towards the Touareg, but the one thing that's giving me pause is that I can't seem to find accessories - particularly brushguards and skid plate.

Can anyone point me to where they may be acquired..

Thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
You may not be able to buy a TDI when you get home.... This is old news. The gas version of the Touareg is still available. There will always be used Touareg TDI's available. Hopefully VW overcomes it's current problems with TDI emissions, until then, they can't sell them in NA.

If your intention is off-road, I recommend the Jeep, unless you are interested in the older version of the Touareg that had air suspension and lockers. Those are as capable as the Jeep GC for off-road use, but Touaregs cost more to maintain for certain.

Aftermarket parts for Touaregs are not really out there. If modifying for off-road is what you would like to do, again, it would be the Jeep. It is possible to make a truly off-road worthy Touareg, but it costs time and money.

The Touareg is superior on-road, period. Drives nicer, handles better, and has a higher build quality.

Others can chime in about sources for the off-road parts, but there is n't a lot out there, and nothing really for the latest 3rd-4th generation (2011- )

·
Registered
734 Posts
A couple of questions:

- Will this car also be your daily driver?
- How much are you looking to spend?
- What kind of offroading are you planning?
- Have you been offroad before?
- What club(s) will you join, go wheeling with?
- How radical a build are you looking for?
- How good are you at fixing/modding your own stuff?

If all the clubs in your area are driving Jeeps, get a Jeep. If you're doing only light offroading, you can run almost anything. If the vehicle will also be your daily driver, an older LR Discovery might be interesting.

I got into offroading a while back, and the local group that I joined was a LR group...so I bought an older air suspenion Range Rover. Had a lot of fun with it, then upgraded to a year old Rover, never went wheeling again...it was just too nice to take offroad (it was also my DD).

The Touareg can be built for offroading, but there isn't nearly as large or active a community as with some other platforms. It's reasonably capable...and of course, everything starts with tires. Shoot, I could take my Audi allroad into some pretty interesting places with the right shoes. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
You will find that the Jeep is not as reliable in the long run as the Touareg. Chrysler's general assembly rules are not good, in my opinion. This ranges from the thickness of wire used in a harness to fit and finish.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There are next to no after-market accessories of the kind you seek.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sadly, off road accessories are slim pickin's in the USA. You're looking at custom work or importing from Australia. Too bad, really, because with the optional air suspension and optional rear locker, it is a very capable platform. And when you're done, you have a nice cushy smooth ride home.

If you want to to serious rock crawling in Moab, get a little Jeep. If you just want to make it up Engineer Pass in Ouray or the Crystal Mill, the Touareg will do fine. Just make sure you get one with low range. It is actually dangerous to do serious trails without it.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
If you just want to make it up Engineer Pass in Ouray or the Crystal Mill, the Touareg will do fine. Just make sure you get one with low range. It is actually dangerous to do serious trails without it.
I'm sure I have been up Engineer a few times, but I don't recall which one that is. I have been up Imogene a bunch of times also. Been on a lot of trails in Ouray in both of my Tregs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Whatever you do not test drive Touareg and GC in the same day. The Touareg will win you over for sure.

·
Registered
464 Posts
hands down the treg....eco diesel has water in the intercooler issues, oil cooler issues,valvetrain issues and some people ive talked to did not like the winter starting if thats a concern at all for you.

as for off road, the t2 will do anything the jeep will for sure....i think the t3 will do almost if not everything as well....infact have you looked at the front of the new jeeps? your going to rip the front off a jeep first.

as for road or build quality there is no comparison, treg is sportier, comfier and smoother.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That test was supposedly debunked. They overloaded the GC beyond GVWR according to some sources. <shrug>

I got my Touareg so I could get back on some 4WD trails. Imogene Pass and Engineer Pass are probably some of the most popular 4WD roads in Ouray.

I wouldn't run any real 4WD trail without low range. Going UP isn't the issue. Coming back down and not smoking your brakes is near impossible without low range.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I wouldn't run any real 4WD trail without low range. Going UP isn't the issue. Coming back down and not smoking your brakes is near impossible without low range.
For rock crawling in the east, it's not even a matter of smoking brakes...we don't have enough elevation to worry about that. Low range gives downhill speed/vehicle control that braking simply doesn't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts