Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 with a factory CD/radio with analogue amp and 10 speakers. I have a new JVC headunit ordered and want to mate it to the current amp/speakers. I an not worried about steering wheel control via canbus. Can someone help re wiring colours? I assume that I should wire the preamp outputs of the new head unit (front/rear) to the amp inputs...but I need to identify the VW wiring.
8-[

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2004 with a factory CD/radio with analogue amp and 10 speakers. I have a new JVC headunit ordered and want to mate it to the current amp/speakers. I an not worried about steering wheel control via canbus. Can someone help re wiring colours? I assume that I should wire the preamp outputs of the new head unit (front/rear) to the amp inputs...but I need to identify the VW wiring.
8-[
Check if there is an adapter for JVC head unit for a 10 speaker touareg. Those aftermarket pig tails are often color coded correctly to the vehicle manufacturer. It's cut and splice. I recommend solder and heat shrinks. Though they now have butt connectors that solder just with heat application (like with a small torch).

·
Registered
67 Posts
So,did it work? I have the same thing. Metrawire told me I had to rewire it to bypass the Amp. Not that I can`t do it,but yeah it would save a lot of time! I really want to get my Ipod in here soon! (and run my subs). Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, if you have the standard cd/radio you don't need to bypass it but if you have the DVD based navi system you do. I just have the standard radio and am just about to start the install, so will post if it goes all ok.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi im sorry for using this old thread. But i really need the pictures posted. They dont work anymore. I bought an android double din. have the stock radio with CD NAV.

installed the new Android radio everything works ok but no sound..

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, I don't think so.
If you have stock radio(no navi) or DVD based on navi system, then you do not need to bypass the amplifier.
If you have a cd based navi system, then you need to bypass the amplifier.
The cd based on navi system was used to be equipped on 2003-2006 Touareg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

i do have the cd based navi system. How do i go about bypassing the amp. Is there some smart way or do i need to rip every speaker out and rewire everything straight to the new radio?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry it was a few years ago that I did the install. Are you replacing the factory speakers or keeping them?
I'm keeping the ones i have. there are 3 per door. should i bundle the three together? because the radio has 4x45W or is that not the way to go?

If you are replacing them it should be easy enough to trace the same wires back to the loom.
I could just go to the amp and get all the wires from there and pull one big bundle of wires to the front middle from there right? or im i going to loose audio quality if i do that?

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK you will need to bypass the amp and because the amp has electronic crossovers for the speakers it is not a simple matter to connect your headunit directly to the speakers without some sort of crossover. You could use a simple capacitor crossover to do that, with unknown results. My feeling is that unless you know a lot about car audio, then you are better off looking for a solution that may cost a little more, but would work. You options are:
1/Replace the factory door speakers and wire the headunit directly to them using the crossover provided/integral with the new speakers.
2/Keep the existing speakers but connect the headunit low level outputs to an electronic crossover and seperate amplifier.

3/Keep the existing speakers and wire a crossover (in each door) to the woofer and tweeter, such as:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Audiopip...917287?hash=item2a23c7b627:g:fOQAAOSwEOpaAkAg

Option 1 would be the simplest/best sounding route. You could add a sub and sub amp with either option.
I would look for a shallow mount 6 1/2" speaker with integral tweeter for the front doors, such as:
https://www.woofersetc.com/focal-icu-165-6-5-70w-rms-2-way-coaxial-car-speakers.html.
You could probably retain the rear door speakers and use a crossover as I have suggested.
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. In any case, you will need to identify the correct wiring from the original amp to the speakers. It may be easiest to remove front and rear door door cards (ie inside) to allow access to the speaker wiring. As I suggested previously, you can use a signal tracer to identify each wire. Alternatively, it may be easier/ cheaper to expose the speakers but get an auto electrician/car stereo shop to identify the speaker wires for you. You can then do the rest of the install yourself. You will need to run wires from the headunit to the speaker wires from the original head unit. Once you have one set of two wires (going to each door) you can install the crossovers in each door, and wire the tweeter and woofer to the crossover.
Unfortunately it is a lot of work and if you can do at least some of it you may be better off getting an auto electrician etc to do part of it. Given that the headunit is not working, I would pull the fuse for that until you have the speaker wiring sorted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK you will need to bypass the amp and because the amp has electronic crossovers for the speakers it is not a simple matter to connect your headunit directly to the speakers without some sort of crossover. You could use a simple capacitor crossover to do that, with unknown results. My feeling is that unless you know a lot about car audio, then you are better off looking for a solution that may cost a little more, but would work. You options are:
1/Replace the factory door speakers and wire the headunit directly to them using the crossover provided/integral with the new speakers.
2/Keep the existing speakers but connect the headunit low level outputs to an electronic crossover and seperate amplifier.

3/Keep the existing speakers and wire a crossover (in each door) to the woofer and tweeter, such as:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Audiopip...917287?hash=item2a23c7b627:g:fOQAAOSwEOpaAkAg

Option 1 would be the simplest/best sounding route. You could add a sub and sub amp with either option.
I would look for a shallow mount 6 1/2" speaker with integral tweeter for the front doors, such as:
https://www.woofersetc.com/focal-icu-165-6-5-70w-rms-2-way-coaxial-car-speakers.html.
You could probably retain the rear door speakers and use a crossover as I have suggested.
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. In any case, you will need to identify the correct wiring from the original amp to the speakers. It may be easiest to remove front and rear door door cards (ie inside) to allow access to the speaker wiring. As I suggested previously, you can use a signal tracer to identify each wire. Alternatively, it may be easier/ cheaper to expose the speakers but get an auto electrician/car stereo shop to identify the speaker wires for you. You can then do the rest of the install yourself. You will need to run wires from the headunit to the speaker wires from the original head unit. Once you have one set of two wires (going to each door) you can install the crossovers in each door, and wire the tweeter and woofer to the crossover.
Unfortunately it is a lot of work and if you can do at least some of it you may be better off getting an auto electrician etc to do part of it. Given that the headunit is not working, I would pull the fuse for that until you have the speaker wiring sorted.
Great man thanks for the help... This seems like so much work for a unit where the seller sold it like plug and play... At this point i'm just sending the android unit back and just sticking to the stock radio and finding some other solution to get and mp3 or bluetooth connected to the stock radio. ive seen some options for this online. Thanks again 0:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No worries. I know what you mean! It does become particularly involved when you are trying to bypass amps and I find car wiring generally does not always follow colours stated in wiring diagrams so something that looks simple ends up taking hours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.