Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to test the stepper motor if it is still good or has gone bad, like you might your alternator? It is not a cheap part and seems you should be able to have it tested as it also easily removed.

Also, I have read several posts about stepper motor failure related to the system fault workshop warning and it being a common issue. I have also read that the drive shaft and or diffs are also common problems. Along with a long list of many. But, I was wondering if there is any correlation between the stepper motor failure and the later failing?

Thanks club for your amazing support and any feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only known problem is the "system fault workshop warning" other than that I do not notice any issues. The alarm has gone quiet. Heard, but quiet. But, I understand that is probably due to the actual alarm horn. Not related to System Fault or Stepper Motor to my knowledge. I have not had the fault warning diagnosed yet, nor do I own a vagcom. Need stabalizer bar links replaced and was going to have them check faults at that time.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
its always better to scan the car first and post results here, it will be much easier for members to help you and narrow down the problem. and one more tip make sure your battery is in good shape as old battery can trigger fake fault codes and make your dash look like a christmas tree :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx "nikoloz" for the tip and the link. I do appreciate this site and the knowledge of the community. I will follow up with fault codes as you suggested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to say though, I do appreciate the fact that further info/codes would be helpful in diagnostics but, I still have the question if you can test the stepper motor?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Search for binding/scrubbing if you want to check manually for symptoms of a failed motor that is binding up the drive train and causing premature tire wear.

The way the dealer test the stepper motor is to hook up to the VW computer and follow the directions on the screen to test / to run diagnostics.

We do the same thing, but we drive the car around in short trips and use the VCDS cable to look for codes.

The darn vehicle is almost impossible to troubleshoot if you don't have access to a VCDS cable.

--

The rubber on the drive shaft just fails. Does not seem related to anything other then age/mileage.

We don't know exactly why some front diffs fail.

Rear diffs... don't hear much about them failing. They seem pretty decent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Came back with following fault codes:

2 Faults Found:
02039 - Position Sensor in Transfer Case (G398)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
02039 - Shareware Version. To Decode all Dtcs
008 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

Is this the stepper motor? Any feedback is appreciated. Have read could just be bad sensor connection. I do have the part# ending in 'A'.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
#### A is an old " first" version of the stepper motor and newer versions are ending with C, i also have older one on my 05 v8 ending with A, buy software update have solved the problem 3 years ago :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say "buy" software update, I'm assuming you mean pay the dealer. Is the only way to get software update from the dealer?
I did not have the vehicle in shop but, I called the dealer and asked about it. Dealership was unaware of any software updates pertaining to the stepper motor. When I mentioned the code they said there was no specific fix that accompanied a code, rather that it pointed them in what direction to look at when diagnosing and that they would have to diagnose the vehicle to determine what the solution would be. I pressed them and asked "hypothetically if the issue was a bad stepper motor with this fault code stored and this warning light in the dash" "Is there a known software fix?"
Dealerships answer was "NO!"

Beyond just checking to make sure that everything is connected securely. :) I think I will be driving with this warning for the time being until I am able to replace the stepper motor. Then re-scan and clear codes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts