Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a brand new 2012 TDI sport in March and didn't do much highway driving until the car had about 800 miles on it. Then I noticed that the steering wheel shakes noticeably at speeds between 60 and 75 mph. I have taken it in 4 times for road force balancing and tire rotation, but to no avail. Sometimes it will be ok for about 10-20 miles, but the shimmy always comes back. Anyone else having these problems? This shouldn't happen on a vehicle of this quality.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Has to be a wheel/tire issue

I have only had this twice on mine. And pretty sure when it did it was a combination of just a lil worse patch of freeway and tire pressure a little off.

Could be a combination of road and tire pressure/balancing. Just because they said they balanced or adjust things does not mean they knew what they were doing.

Usually when I have had shimmy/shakes on a vehicle it is usually a tire pressure or balance issue. Unless a rim is bent or something wrong with one of the tires.

Maybe take it to a better shop.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
One day I took my 2012 TDI Lux out on the freeway and it had a similar shimmy, not terrible but you could see the steering wheel shimmy slightly. It stopped after a couple of miles and has never done it since that I've noticed. I dunno.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
On the basis of the steering vibration problems some UK and US owners are experiencing I would not advise anyone anywhere in the world to buy a new Touareg at this time.

VW UK's solution for one Touareg owner is for him to buy a new Audi Q7 [with his own money!].

VW Germany have a signifcant problem with what is probably a small number of cars.

The first problem is that it is a complete lottery whether or not your new T3 will be trouble free and the second problem is VW are not fixing the problem becasue they haven't got a clue what to do so VW are still trying to pass it off as "a characteristic".

That is simply not acceptable.

Steering vibration? Steer clear of T3s!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Add another one to the list of steering wheel shaking. Mine has a slow vibrate from 45-65. Then increases in vibration from 65-72. Right at 72 the steering wheel shakes vigorously and increases vibration from that point on.

I purchased my 2012 TDI 3 weeks ago with 22 miles. I currently have 475 miles. The second day I took it into the shop complaining about the balance and alignment. They said they fixed the problem so I went home only to find nothing had changed. That was the Thursday before Labor Day. I waited until last Tuesday to take it back. They told me the tires were bad and they would order new ones. I requested Michelin and had to wait a week. Went back in today to get all new tires. Drove home and still the same problem. That's when I googled, "New 2012 Touareg Steering will shaking" and found a lot of people out there are having the same problems.

So far here are all the links I've found:

Steering wheel shake VW Touareg TDI lux - VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com

Steering Wheel Shakes at Highway Speeds

Steering wheel shake

VWVortex.com - URGENT! 2011-12 Touareg Steering Wheel Shake

Vibrations in my new 2011 Lux

I'll keep you guys posted, but I'll be bringing my car back to the shop after calling the service manager tomorrow. I've already sent my salesman the links above. My previous car was a 5 series BMW and my second car is a Porsche, and of course those steering wheels didn't shake. I didn't expect to have these problems when purchasing a $54,000 vehicle. This car should not be shaking, "period!" I'lll keep you posted, but if they can't fix it I've already started researching Lemon Law and will definitely go that route. If anyone out there has found the answer please message me. Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2012 was flawless until I took it in for the 10,000 mile service and they rotated the tires. After this did experience some shake/vibration over 60mph. Took it to VW and had them rebalance all 4 wheels and problem is gone.

I've read that this is a common issue with lower profile tires and may not have anything at all to do with the vehicle itself. Mine are 19" wheels with 45 height which falls into the lower aspect ratio. Still riding on the original goodyear tires.

I don't remember where I read about low aspect ratio tires but if you search the web a bit I'm sure you can find similar comments from tire experts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Balance, balance. I have had the same issue. Rotate, checked the balance with one very good and trusted shop. Finally, decided to take it to the different shop, and voila, the day after my trusted shop had balance as 0 and 0, it showed 15 and 45!!! Pretty much on every tire numbers were off. So, shimmy is gone for good and my trusted mechanic re-calibrated his balancing machine ( although i did not have balance tires again so far).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Very early notice here but just got my VW back from the dealer. Dropped it off last Thursday a.m. They put replacement LS2's on and road/force balanced. Test drove and had the steering wheel shake.

I wrote up a full page letter outlining my issue from Day 1 and listed many threads for them to peruse with the same issue. Also noted that VWoA may have recommended Latitudes as a fix.

Well, after reading it and finding the shakes still there with new LS2’s, they borrowed a set of Latitudes off another Touareg on site. No shakes. Hmmm…they ordered me a set of new Lats. Installed yesterday, test drive #1 no issues. They wanted to keep it over night and do another test drive. Called today, no shakes.

Just picked it up. ZERO shake in the steering wheel. Totally feels like a new (proper) vehicle. So sure feels like another recommendation for any with Shakes and LS2’s to go Mich Latitudes as a fix.

I think I've now hit all the T3 "shake" threads here...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts