Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Touareg has had: 4 wheel alignment, road force balanced wheels, new Michelin Latitudes installed with steering wheel shake evident. The TB's were followed.

Road test: steering wheel shake improved, but still evident.

2nd visit: replaced one of the front tires with a new one as there were quite a few weights needed to balance that one tire (thinking the tire itself may have been very out of round). Only put 600 miles on original new tires. Road force balanced both front tires. Reviewed the TB's again about hand torqueing the wheels etc. Also having the hub centric guides at 12 o'clock position when installing the wheels.

Road test: steering wheel shake is improved. Not really noticeable at lower speeds. Before new tires at 60 mph it was noted always. Now it primarily appears that I must be traveling at 68-70 mph before it shows up again. Previously, it always showed itself, but now it is hit or miss syndrome. It does seem to activate when hitting some rough patches in the road then it begins as well. This suggest steering system?

I have read other forums and some have resorted to new rotors and pads on the front (Porsche Cayenne) to ultimately eliminate the problem.

It is a great riding vehicle except for the shake at higher speeds. Am even questioning whether I am being too picky at this point except I have read many posts from other owners who do not experience this at all.

My contact at VWOA also suggested that it might be a trait of the vehicle. I responded with "there are many Touareg owners who have no shake and are extremely pleased".

Any success with new front brake rotors and pads?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You should not be experiencing any shake at all. Reject the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another discussion with VWOA. She stated that all of the TB's had been followed and were uncertain what to do to fix the problem. They threw out the "it might just be a characteristic of the Touareg" line again. A bit frustrating. I purchased my 2014 Touareg used, so I am uncertain if this places me in a different category of negotiation versus being the original owner. Still under VW warranty.

So far all costs (tires, alignment, balancing etc) associated with this problem have been paid by me.

I was hoping someone had some success with a front rotor change out...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a owner of '11 Hybrid. Occasionally I have similar steering wheel shake / vibrate symptoms. Most of the time it is silk smooth on highway but sometimes I get slightly annoying level of vibration. Level of vibration seems to change if I use brakes, which IMO points to rotors.

Previously I've owned several BMW's and sometimes had similar issues. Culprit back then were either warped rotors or stuck calibers (which were floating type).

Being quite new to VW's I cannot say for sure if this is the same issue, but all symptoms point to it. I haven't yet spent any time to investigate the brakes of my Touareg, since I get the issue only occasionally.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Take each wheel off and then follow the TSB that's been published and repeated on here many times to refit correctly and torque to 133 ft lbs.

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
Got no shakes at all in the steering of my 2015 v8 tdi.
Although i feel the legacy of the v10 when i place my hand on the gear shifter, sense slight vibration there, otherwise its all very refined and smooth as, cant tell its a diesel or big vehicle, vast improvement

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being asked to bring it back to the dealership for another look. Following the TB's and new Michelin tires have really reduced the shake, but it is still there at times. My estimation is that they are uncertain what the culprit is at this point.

I am going to wait until the dealership has a loaner vehicle available prior to dropping it off.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Being asked to bring it back to the dealership for another look. Following the TB's and new Michelin tires have really reduced the shake, but it is still there at times. My estimation is that they are uncertain what the culprit is at this point.

I am going to wait until the dealership has a loaner vehicle available prior to dropping it off.
VW doesn't have a fix for it. They can keep balancing and re-installing those tires seven ways from Sunday and you'll still get the shakes. There are really only a few choices for you:
1- Sell it and take a loss.
2- annoy VW enough to give you some cash and live with the shakes.
3- higher a lawyer and lemon it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above. Lemon it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a 2014 TDI LUX that is affected. The dealer has tried a few things nothing works. Must be an uncommon problem because they don't seem aware of it. I've tried to share the information from this forum but they don't seem to acknowledge it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yup, that's a very common response from dealers - deny, deny, DENY.

It is a well known issue.

VW have bought back quite a few cars.

Have you taken the technical service bulletin in to them and asked them to follow it?

Have you contacted VW Canada?

If you have consumer law on your side there, reject the car as being of unmerchantable quality or whatever the phrase is in your country.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Steering shake update, 2 years on

In the past few months VW dealer has replaced the drive shaft, which had no effect. Then they put on the winter tires, did a wheel balancing and used a new machine for helping balance the pressure of large vehicle tires. Seemed better after this but after some highway time, the shake is back, worse than ever.

Time for a deeper conversation with them.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
According to VW requirements, the road-force on all four wheels should not exceed 15 Lbs. Reputable tire manufacturers guarantee road force not exceeding 25 Lbs. - anything above it is considered defective tire. Did you see the RFB numbers for either summer or winter wheel/tire sets? Sounds like your dealer is full of baloney (not knowing about the issue and the TSB), this brings a question about their professionalism.

I have recently put on a set of winter wheels with Pirelli Ice and Snow. Thought these were nice winter tires with smooth ride… until I took my rig on highway and found that minor shake at 72 MPH and above is present. Drove it for a couple of more weeks (~1000 miles) and brought it back to my dealer. Apparently, the guy who normally does RFB on my Touareg was gone when tires/wheels were assembled and installed. This time he took it in his good hands. Driver side front wheel had no weights and was balanced at 0 Lbs. Passenger side front wheel had very small weight and was balanced at 12 Lbs. But two wheels in the rear were at 41Lbs. and 40Lbs. The guy tried to assemble and reassemble these three times, but could not balance them any better than 38 and 39 Lbs. So, send the Pirellis back to Tire Rack and got Michelin Latitude X-Ice instead. All were perfectly balanced with road force numbers between 8Lbs. and 12Lbs. The shakes are gone, and Touareg holds a road really well and in “turbine-smooth” fashion as one of CT members once called it.

Forgive me for my lengthy note, but this is a bit of compassion… I know how much it sucks to have excellent vehicle that rides like Amish buggy.

Bottom line: The shakes are curable. Quality tires and RFB machine operator who knows how to properly use this machine (which is very rare case or so I think) is all it takes.

P.S. Replacing drive shaft to cure wheel shake by your dealer was… questionable, to say it mildly. Do you have other dealers in your area? Or at least a decent tire shop (if their RFB guy drives a German vehicle – so much the merrier, it’ll save you time for explanations).

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you feel it when braking, then this is a bearing/hub/rotor/brake pad issue. I had a similar issue with my 2001 Subaru Forester. Finally fixed by replacing front bearing, front hubs, and then replacing front disc and pads, in that order. Previous attempts at just replacing just the front disc and pads only resulted in continued vibration because the hubs bearing and hubs had already caused uneven brake deposits on the rotor. This took me several years to track down.

The worn out bearings/hubs on the Subaru caused vibration at both low and high speeds, just worse at high speeds. The vibration was worse during braking. Replacing the hub and bearing fixed the vibration during both low and high speeds, but did not resolve the vibration during braking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
..I have recently put on a set of winter wheels with Pirelli Ice and Snow. Thought these were nice winter tires with smooth ride… until I took my rig on highway and found that minor shake at 72 MPH and above is present...
Did they happen to be P I&C Scorpions? I had the same problem. Had to send one back to Tire Rack. They paid for the remounting and balancing at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Did they happen to be P I&C Scorpions? I had the same problem. Had to send one back to Tire Rack. They paid for the remounting and balancing at the dealer.
Yes, the first set of winter tires bought in mid-May was Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow. The Tirerack.com (bless their customer service!) agreed to take them back and issue a full refund regardless of the fact that the tires were past 90-days warranty, as they’ve agreed that I could not use them during summer thus they can count warranty from a day of installation.

P.S. I’ve already had a chance to put Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires to a good test – Canadian ice-fishing trip. The trip total was about 1200 miles, ~140 of which were on barely plowed or unplowed gravel/ice/snow roads, some hilly forested terrain used by tracked vehicles and unplowed ice (no roads, lake ice covered with snow and slush). The X-Ice performed perfectly well. These are surprisingly (fairly aggressive tread) quiet tires too - as tested at up to 85MPH on HWY. I’ve heard people praising mostly Bridgestone Blizzaks or Nokian Hakkapelitta and underestimating X-Ice winter tires. My opinion is that Michelin Latitude X-Ice are excellent winter tires capable to compete with best of the bunch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts