Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm totally new to VW.
Today I negotiated a purchase for a 2015 gas Touareg, so I'm eager to ask a few questions before I hand over the cash.

Today I drove a 2012 TDI and a 2015 FSI. The 2012 was a TANK, and the 2015 seemed an elegant 4x4-turned-turnpike-criuser. I drove the 2012 TDI first, and thought "I'm no way switching from X5 to this". I then drove the 2015 FSI and I thought "I'm done with BMW".

I'm replacing a 2006 bmw X5 @252K miles, and my attention turned to VW only 24 hours ago. I have a 150-mile commute, so a TDI was a given. BUT, after calculating premium vs regular (they claim the FSI is happy on 87 octane) vs diesel, local cars available for purchase, and the VW dealship in Hyannis MA is so friendly, I couldn't help but to resist dragging out my search for further analysis, and I made an offer.

So I asked the dealer (of course, they have no intensive of steering me away from either of their two cars for sale): "The 2015 steers much lighter than the 2012. Will a diesel 2015 steer like the 2015 gas I just drove, or will it steer like the 2012 diesel I just drove?" Their answer was -- "Diesels are setup with heavier steering". I really must know whether I can have the awesome pull of the diesel paired with the much easier/lighter refined steering of the 2015. (and yes, hydraulic steering is a drivers car, and by-wire is not, but let's be practical-- tho hydraulic steering is way better as a fun driver, I commute a zillon hours, and my wife will never chip in on driving if I'm stuck with a truck/tank-like handling of the 2012 TDI.)

I would love to hear your input on the differences between any 2012 and 2015 steering changes, and if there's any carryover specifically due to the diesel powerplant -- as if, as they dealer says, the diesel brings some sort of "heavy steering" attribute up from the 2012 to the post-facelift 2015+. In other words, can I have the best of both worlds?

Thanks all -- and I'm happy to be joining the VW/Treg fleet!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Only have the 2016 to tell you about. It handles really well at highway speeds. I'd consider it lighter feel than most large vehicles I've driven, but I've not driven the petrol versions. Others will chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2015 petrol car I'm buying is a good deal, so I'm going ahead with the purchase -- there doesn't seem to be a lot of these cars available so they must be serving their owners well. I'm still very curious about the difference in steering-feel I experienced; 2012 vs 2015 model-year differences; related to the different engines; or simply two different cars (The dealer said that many TDIs sat for extended time in storage waiting for a decision of the remedy for the emissions scandal). I'd still like a late-model (2016) TDI so I'm going to keep my eye out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally own a 2015 vr6 sport. I peraonally drive a lot for business and it is a savior for that. Change your air filter to a k&n and you notice better mileage as i have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts