Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!
Lately my Touareg (MY 2012 V6 Executive) has been acting up a bit.

Here is what concerns me:
Engine cold (overnight in the garage at approx 50°F). I start the engine and let it idle until the rpm settles at 980.
I take it to D and drive a few feet. I keep it in D and come to a full stop. I can now feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel. If I go to N and increase the rpm slightly the vibration disappears.
After driving for e.G. 40 miles the vibration does return while stopping in D.

Here is my question: Normal or Not?
My previous Touareg did not have this sort of behavior and I am concerned that it is the steering pump failing.
According to the dealership it is somewhat normal but definitely out of any warranty or goodwill. They confirmed the vibration. Lacking a direct comparison since I have nothing to judge it with other then my 2008 V6 TDI and a 2016 V6. Both are smooth and with zero vibrations.
I am aware that VW did with to the electric steering after 2014. Or was it earlier?

Is it just a cold weather related nuance or does anyone else have this vibration?
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Matt / Seattle WA

· Registered
1,950 Posts
I've owned 5 Touareg T3s. Every one of them exhibited some minor buzzing-type feeling in the steering wheel at times at low speed turning maneuvers. It's very intermittent, mostly not noticeable, but occasionally is. On rare occasions the buzzing gets more intense and is audible, mostly in hot weather after a long drive when maneuvering in or out of a parking lot at low speed.

Completely normal in my experience. I think you're describing the same thing.

Not to be confused with "steering wheel shake" which is totally different.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, clearly not confusing it with the steering wheel shake during driving. There is a TSB on how to install and torque the bolts.
The described vibrations are tactile while standing in D.
Not really sure how to visualize the vibrations. Maybe taping a pencil to the steering wheel?
Is the steering fluid to be serviced? Can it be replaced or refilled?

Thanks

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys!
Having checked the fluid level, only to find out that i am below minimum.
I have replaced the old fluid with new Servo Fluid CHF11S.
Pretty much used a little oil transfer pump and sucked as much as possible out of the reservoir. Refilled with new fluid and turned the steering wheel a few times. Then repeated this process two more times.
Nice fresh green fluid and the vibration is next to non existent. The Dip Stick has a little Medium Fill Area. According to German Sources it is advised to run in this range and not close to the max fill level.
I am happy with the outcome and can certainly recommend this to everyone. At the very least check your fluid levels.

Have a nice Sunday!
Matt

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have the 3.6 L:
looking at the engine- Slightly right at the rear.
Yellowish container. I think it says steering fluid only on the top.
Easy to find.
Make sure the oil you fill in is compliant with VW specs.
After driving about 800miles, I can definitely feel the difference.
Minimal Vibration. I does not feel stiff or lacking power during transition from full left to right.
A few bucks and 30min time to change out the oil sure helped a lot. At least in my case.

· Registered
17 Posts
If you have the 3.6 L:
looking at the engine- Slightly right at the rear.
Yellowish container. I think it says steering fluid only on the top.
Easy to find.
Make sure the oil you fill in is compliant with VW specs.
After driving about 800miles, I can definitely feel the difference.
Minimal Vibration. I does not feel stiff or lacking power during transition from full left to right.
A few bucks and 30min time to change out the oil sure helped a lot. At least in my case.
Isn't there a screen filter at the bottom of the reservoir? If so did you clean it as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.