Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody I'm new to the forum but hope you can help me I've just got the car and all is great apart from steering shake I can see there are lots of posts on it but nothing I can see that's to conclusivecas a fix . Here's a bit of background on my car 126k imo drives perfect till about 60mph then shakes on wheel starts all way through upbto 80mph I haven't been any faster worse between 70/89mph at the moment it has one wheel bolt missing from each wheel as previous owner had wheels refurbished 19 inch altitude standard wheels. I've had four new tyres fitted and balanced it's still the same at the 70-80mph it feels like it's also coming through the drive line I had a quick look at the centre bearing there is som cracking in the rubber and it has some up and down lift an inch or more I'm suspecting this might be the cause what amount of movement should there be ? Also I believe there is a procedure service bulletin to re fit the wheels to do with position on hubs and a torque procedure can any one enlighten me

Thanks in advance this is the only thing spiking the drive of the car 馃殫 馃榿馃憤

Registered
You should not be running around without the correct number of wheel bolts. I am surprised the tyre company changed the tyres for you!

So the most obvious thing is to buy 4 new wheel bolts and then remove and clean the mating faces on the wheels and the hubs before refitting the wheels and tightening the wheel bolts correctly in the standard pattern.

The technical service bulletin for SWS was for much younger cars than yours and was due to a small change in the hub.

Earlier cars like your did not suffer SWS.

All four new tyres are IDENTICAL?

And, yes, the centre bearing on the prop shaft is a known issue that can be fixed for nothing.

Read the buying a used Touareg thread so you know what else to expect. The link is in my signature.

Click on User CP to update your profile with model, year and location.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I have new ones in order ,and yes all tyres are new matching ones 馃憤

Should the centre brg have any lift up and down if so what is a an acceptable amount if any thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts