1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Our 2011 VW Touareg received the error message 'Steering faulty. Park vehicle'

The mechanic plugged in and the Diagnostic Trouble Code is:
DTC: 02811
Description: Electronic steering column lock module
State: defective

We had it towed to a mechanic who has said its the 'Steering lock control module' which is defective and needs to be replaced quoting us $4800AUS to replace new or $3900AUS to replace second hand.

I have a feeling this is way too much.
Can anyone offer any advice?

Regards,
David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

Our 2011 VW Touareg received the error message 'Steering faulty. Park vehicle'

The mechanic plugged in and the Diagnostic Trouble Code is:
DTC: 02811
Description: Electronic steering column lock module
State: defective

We had it towed to a mechanic who has said its the 'Steering lock control module' which is defective and needs to be replaced quoting us $4800AUS to replace new or $3900AUS to replace second hand.

I have a feeling this is way too much.
Can anyone offer any advice?

Regards,
David
Hi David,
Just had the same thing as happened to your toureg happen to my MY12 toureg.
just wondering if I could ask if went through with the full repair and if I may ask finalcost

I’m in Melbourne and have had mine serviced by camberwell Volkswagen (they’ve had enough money from me recently after replacing the adaptive cruis control module )

anyway I’m going to get it fixed I’m just hoping to minimise the cost
Thanks in advance
Phil

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
42 Posts
I suggest you find an independent VW repair place with VCDS or the Hella Gutmann system or buy a VCDS yourself to further analyse the failure and whether its the module or something else. The VW dealership approach is try to fix any problem buy installing new parts until the problem goes away, all your dollars and no brains or analysis on their part.

Replacement reconditioned modules are available at a reasonable cost but coding may ultimately be required by the dealer as its part of the immobiliser system

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suggest you find an independent VW repair place with VCDS or the Hella Gutmann system or buy a VCDS yourself to further analyse the failure and whether its the module or something else. The VW dealership approach is try to fix any problem buy installing new parts until the problem goes away, all your dollars and no brains or analysis on their part.

Replacement reconditioned modules are available at a reasonable cost but coding may ultimately be required by the dealer as its part of the immobiliser system

cheers
Rohan
Thanks for the tip, I phoned one today and they are going to get back to me, guy on the phone had no idea , let’s see

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi David,
Just had the same thing as happened to your toureg happen to my MY12 toureg.
just wondering if I could ask if went through with the full repair and if I may ask finalcost

I’m in Melbourne and have had mine serviced by camberwell Volkswagen (they’ve had enough money from me recently after replacing the adaptive cruis control module )

anyway I’m going to get it fixed I’m just hoping to minimise the cost
Thanks in advance
Phil
I've just had this issue as well. I will post about the experience in detail, but the short version is, about $2200 US. In my case, they had to replace the steering module, just to get the car moveable. The blower motor had also died, to significant cost. I'll be picking it up today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just had this issue as well. I will post about the experience in detail, but the short version is, about $2200 US. In my case, they had to replace the steering module, just to get the car moveable. The blower motor had also died, to significant cost. I'll be picking it up today.
How did it go? You didn’t pass out with the price did you ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts