Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 2004 Touareg for about 3 weeks and LOVE it. However, in the last few days the power assist steering wheel (the button on the steering column where you can have the steering wheel to move up and seat to move back when you remove the key from the ignition) started jamming up. When we would remove the key, the wheel tried to move up but only clunked three times and seized up. Brought the car in for repairs and found that it would take several days in the shop and a replacement steering column to fix the problem!!!

Our dealer is trying to be very helpful and kind so far (Schmelz Countryside in St. Paul, MN) but we are concerned that this is just the beginning. We only have 1,200 miles on the car and paid about $48K loaded. Something like this shouldn't happen so quickly in our opinion!

I had some very serious concerns before purchasing as I stumbled across this site and read about some of the problems. Our dealer convinced us that he hasn't had any problems with the vehicles he's sold so far and gave me names of owners to verify their satisfaction. All were happy and my husband was insistent that he had to have this vehicle. Sure enough, though, problems right away.

Has anyone else had these kind of problems?

Debbie - Minnesota

Blue-silver Touareg. grey leather interior with most options (except air suspension)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got my V10-TDI on order with Schmelz, with a mid-June delivery estimate. I'll be very curious if they give me your name if I ask about the satisfaction-level of other Touareg owners, or if they'll just give me the "satisfied" customer list.

Is the service dept. treating you well? My wife has a '98 New Beetle and we go to Westside for service (just 'cause it's close to our house) and are NOT happy with that service dept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steering Column Jamming

I purchased my Touareg "used" with 2000 miles and the previous owner was purchasing another one. He wanted a V8 this time. The steering column should be easy to replace at the dealership and covered under warranty. My Touareg required some minor cosmetic repairs (about 7k) to the front end and that is why I purchased it for such a low price.

Working on the car has been great and the engineering is excellant. Mechanically it is a well thoughout design and should be a very low maintenance vehicle. Just change the oil and filters and rotate those tires every 6000 miles.

Since this car is managed by a computer system, we will need to be patient when it comes to electrical problems. Keep in mind that if your battery goes dead, you will not be able to get the car out of park. There needs to be sufficient electrial current to the computer to release the drive selector and the steering column.

I just rolled 6600 miles last week and it has been a great car so far. I have no complaints.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts