Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Vag-Com
2006 3.2 Base model
Aftermarket Radio - I was hoping to find this on the Touareg Forum as "is" or "is not" a problem - but couldn't find it.

I've rushed out and plugged it in - the car has been down 3 weeks(Stop Brake Fault - won't release park/brake interlock, I've checked for corroded wires under the seat, swapped the Brake Thrust Sensor - shoulda' bought a Vag-Comm last year when I wanted to...) - it's winter, I'm desperate ....

Any other causes? Basically I have to wait another day to try to tear into the trouble.....I'll be getting my Voltmeter and radio tools out and getting into that thing again....you know, when I first installed my radio the wipers didn't work...it would suck if IT was the cause of the Brake Fault...I have the stock radio still.....

I figure if nothing else I'll add a thread on "Aftermarket Radio" - whether it IS or is NOT the problem I"m having......

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short answer - Vag-Com isn't working......

Sorry - when I plug it into the car and operate the software on my HP latptop, it says the USB cable is fine but it says "not plugged into car" - key on, engine off or engine running. No reaction to being plugged into the car or not. The OBDII port seems pretty clear - purple, pointed down under the dash near-ish to the ebrake. No other ports in the area....

I used to be a Ford Dealer mechanic and I was trained in OBDII as it came into being but I quit to be in telcom the last 15 years. I'm pretty familiar with typical electronics and automotive systems.

I'm asking if others have plugged in their unit and found that the system won't recognize it and what the results were afterwards.

So the rushing around - yeah. Car's been down a too long, I'm frustrated with myself - and rushed outside to get some codes to point me in a direction where I can try to resolve this problem - the car thinks there is a fault so dangerous that I shouldn't drive. I believe there are worse things then "maybe something is wrong with the brakes" - seriously - if this happened on the Denali Highway in fall I could be stuck out in some dangerous conditions. I'd prefer to drive around in 1st gear low range if I thought I had to be able to get out.

The VAG-COM instructions are pretty clear - if you have an aftermarket radio - CHECK. It also said there is a fuse for the cable but I haven't been able to find it. I'm concerned that the fuse may be a different version of the cable - another thing I should have investigated before moving forward but I figured if they said it's there, it's there. The "aftermarket radio" instructions also says 2002 and newer premium radios don't have the K line.

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

But the instructions also says check anyway..... :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is certainly the first I have heard of someone having these issues in a Touareg with an aftermarket radio.

After you plugged the cable in to both your computer and the car and opened up the Program did you go into to test the COM port? (I do this every time I plug in to make sure everything is communicating correctly.) This is done by going to OPTIONS on the main screen and then TEST on the left hand side after selecting the type of port that the cable is connected to. After this is done you hit SAVE and go back to the main menu. This should also give you a direction to go in if there is a fault.

Here is a link to the OPTIONS page on the Ross-Tech site.Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Options

Also check the USB drivers and make sure they have loaded correctly. When I first got mine I was having problems with them which would cause a failure to communicate.

Try both those routes and report back

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah - I can't get a save option. It sees the USB is in, but can't get to the next step - plug in the car - so it won't let me save it.

It's in the computer, and in the car. I open the software, and go to test the com port - it's at the point where the software needs to see the car, and without seeing the car, I can't hit SAVE - and it won't see the car. The PC says it likes the USB drivers just fine.

I could uninstall the drivers and start over - not a bad idea really - typical procedure dealing with cranky hardware. I use usb-to-serial adapters are work frequently (lots of old Telcom gear only talks on serial) and sometimes they go "funny" on me.

I can try the drivers first, then if that doesn't work uninstall the VCDS AND the drivers and try that.

I'm glad to hear the aftermarket radio is less likely - but I may swap it for the stock radio just for "fun". Not having my wife's car this long is a serious pain. She loves LOVES the Touareg and when it goes she want's a newer one. She has disabilities and can't adjust the seatback for one thing - a newer one with power seat is the plan. I'd love a V10 :D TDI's are fun - my other car is a 2000 TDI Beetle - my OTHERother car is my Suzuki Samurai with a TDI-M and 39.5" Boggers :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
That samurai definitely sounds fun. I have a friend who had one to go wheelin in and it's amazing how capable they are.

When you test the port what are the exact results of the test? It should read out what exactly isn't working. If you reference back to that OPTIONS page it gives an example of what a proper functioning connection should read out.

Definitely might want to try the radio as it is a fairly quick removal and installation and would certainly help eliminate that variable. Even if you left it out and just connected the quadlock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The test port is exactly the same as when I loaded the software in the house and plugged in the USB with no car attached. It says the USB is good but no car is plugged in - true in the house, not true outside. Weird eh? It's like my car is turned off - but it's running......I should try it on my Bug I guess....my daughter has been using it while my wife drive's the daughter's Liberty to take my son to and from school but I can get to it....

Samurai's with VW diesels are FANTASTIC - the stock motor is pretty weak - the VW makes them so much better in every way.
Mine is more a small monster truck now - a trailer queen - I miss it small and nimble, I'm going to build another and leave it alone this time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's strange. I would give a call to Ross-Tech and get some tech support. They are really good guys and should be able to help you out.

Definitely try on the bug to check and make sure it is working as it should and eliminate if it is something specific to the Touareg or something up with the program/cable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried the Bug - "not plugged in car" still :( Removed the Touareg stereo - no change. Uninstalled VCDS and the USB drivers, then reinstalled, carefully following the directions - tried both cars - no change. It really seems like the VCDS likes the USB connection well enough. I'll get with Ross Tech - my problem is Alaska is -4 from EST - so they are open 5am to 2pm - I get up at 5am and commute 50 miles away from my wife's Touareg, and I don't get off work until 3:30 pm, which is 7:30 pm on the east coast.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called Ross-Tech at 5:15am this morning, light snow falling, about 10F :D - they had some great ideas - like - try it on another car. Duh -it's basic OBDII at it's root. In my Jeep Liberty it has a lit LED on the connector itself, where it plugs into the vehicle - in my Bug or Tourareg, it does not. This means lack of ground or lack of power per Peter/Ross-Tech. Oh - and I was using a second laptop this morning - but, with the basic problems in the car it won't work either. So - check fuses, check power etc. Somewhere to go with this finally.

Lessons - get into Ross-Tech forums first - they have an email version of tech assist.

I read the website, and it seemed like - "call us when you have it plugged into the car" and that's all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok it was a blown fuse. Ross-Tech lights up with a Green LED as soon as you plug it in - even with Key Off - good to know. If you don't get a lit up LED, you won't be communicating with the vehicle.

[/URL][/IMG]

So - I now know the ABS and Transmission module are not communicating.

Would this be a Ross-Tech thread or properly in Brakes or ? I have some of the large under-hood fuses not powered up :( - I don't know if the ABS is just not closing relays to power them or if they are the cause.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good to know you got this figured out and it wasn't a larger issue.

Glad you have Ross-Tech a call they certainly know their stuff and are really helpful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok it was a blown fuse. Ross-Tech lights up with a Green LED as soon as you plug it in - even with Key Off - good to know. If you don't get a lit up LED, you won't be communicating with the vehicle.
Sorry to dredge this up, but was the blown fuse in the car or the VAG itself?

I'm having the same problems. ;-)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Update: Nevermind, found the faulty fuse. Thanks for the info on where to look.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya car fuse. And for closure on this trouble, big relay under the seat powers about half the fuses at the passenger side fuse block. No power there you can't get out of park. See the other threads.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll have to remember that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts