Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone managed to remove the starter motor from a 3.0v6 tdi without taking the engine out?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Seeing that you are in Northern Ireland I guess that you have RH drive.
I had my starter motor replaced last year. V6TDI - BKS motor.

With a RH Drive Treg the steering column is in the way so the airbox and alternator have to be removed to get the starter out from the top..
I believe that on LH drive vehicles it is a 45 minute job from underneath. On RH drive about 8hrs, according to the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JimJ. Yeah, RHD here. Can't even see the starterfrom above but can just about see it from below, albeit the front diff and steering rack are in the way.
I was tempted to go at it from below but you've made me re-evaluate!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, has anyone managed to remove the starter motor from a 3.0v6 tdi without taking the engine out?
It is possible and my local VW dealer workshop tried. the problem was that one of the holding bolts would not shift. Therefore the engine has to be dropped. Not all the way but just enough to be able to access the bolt. my hope is that they will be able to get the bolt out . My understanding is that the bolts are also high tensile alloy. Anybody got any ideas how to free them up? Quote for labour $5,500!!!! Plus $900 for the starter. Used to love my 2006 Teaureg TDI V6 but not so sure now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts