Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have posted this also on MyTreg and welcome your thoughts.

I have had my new UK R line now for coming on 3 weeks and I find the Start/Stop seems to operate even when the car has not come to a complete "stop". This is very annoying, and I think also dangerous, if I want to move on from a junction when clear and not wanting to stop.

I have had this on 2 previous Audi's and also recently on a VW CC I had for a month, and they all operated only when the car was stopped.

Some might say it can be switched off ( not sure how) but then again it is designed to improve fuel economy so why should it be switched off?

Appreciate any views on this.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Why should it be switched off .... Safety....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi I have posted this also on MyTreg and welcome your thoughts.

I have had my new UK R line now for coming on 3 weeks and I find the Start/Stop seems to operate even when the car has not come to a complete "stop". This is very annoying, and I think also dangerous, if I want to move on from a junction when clear and not wanting to stop.

I have had this on 2 previous Audi's and also recently on a VW CC I had for a month, and they all operated only when the car was stopped.

Some might say it can be switched off ( not sure how) but then again it is designed to improve fuel economy so why should it be switched off?

Appreciate any views on this.
You will need to retrain your brain to drive with this feature. You need to anticipate if you want to have the engine running and take the appropriate action by taking your foot off the brake and press the accelerator to keep moving.

If you have a need to keep the engine running continuously for a particular section of your trip, there is a switch on the console. AFAIK there is no way to turn stop/start off permanently. It is part of the environment friendly package.

It took some time for me to learn to use my stop/start smoothly. It is now second nature and no conscious effort is required. It has been totally reliable for my over three years ownership with instant start-up when needed.

I like it because there is no point in having the engine run while sitting at traffic lights. If I need the engine to run for any reason, I press the button.

·
Registered
107 Posts
+1 murraycod. I feather the brake while entering traffic so the car creeps forward slightly. Fuel savings, I was told, are only made if the ignition is off for 17 seconds or longer. Less than that and more fuel is burned re-starting than is saved. Pretty sure mine cuts out the instant it comes to a stand-still; not before. So check with your service tech. I press the centre console button when parking. Or when sick of it cutting in and out. I'm used to it now but took a while.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Wow ... would love to hear real world fuel savings.

When my old V8 is idle it tells me i am using around 1.2 to 1.3 ltr per hour at idle. I just wonder how many hours per day and how many days per week that would be using.

Really isnt that all going to be lost the first time you squirt the peddle in sport or drive to give you 8 seconds of enjoyment when you had to get yourself out of a circumstance.

Sorry but this seems all a bit to trivial

·
Registered
88 Posts
I reckon the first person to finally work out how to get this to default to OFF when you start would make thousands of new friends around the world. My Passat is the same. The first thing my wife and I do when we turn the cars on is reach over and turn the Bluemotion off.

I'm an electrical engineer, not mechanical but I was taught that an engine constantly shutting off and starting back up again is not good for the longevity of components etc. And for turbos, an instant shutdown after any sort of workout is also fraught with danger. 30 - 60 seconds of idle is recommended (or at least it WAS for older Garret turbos like my Mazda had fitted) to let the oil cool a little and circulate through the bearing housing before a complete shutdown. I know they have been doing auto start/stop in Europe for a "long time" but who can really correlate the mechanical life of engine componentry to Bluemotion ON or OFF?

When somebody can conclusively prove to me that over a period of 10+ years in Aussie conditions (particularly summer temperatures) there is no reduction in engine/engine componentry life AND that the "savings" generated in diesel consumption outweighs the volume used to constantly start up, then I will be less hesitant to push the button after I start the car. Until then, it is start, cuss and reach over to hit the button - Usually in that order :)

As Odessa said, one squirt and you have negated how many start stops and to what benefit or detriment?

Reactions: Bluey42

·
Registered
2011 (MY12) V6 TDI180 4XMotion, 275,000km
257 Posts
Until then, it is start, cuss and reach over to hit the button - Usually in that order :)
Me too! Except I only cuss when I have forgotten to hit the button and I stop the car to open a gate. Car shuts down, and as I am now in Park, I have to manually switch ignition off and back on - PITA. VW should have configured the stop/start button the other way around i.e. press to activate.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wooooohooooo. Have to have a go tonight. I wonder if this will work on my Passat as well...

Thanks very much to our friend on MyTreg (and a friend to many others I suspect)

:)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks for confirming it works for you too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.