Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Start/Stop function can be set to off as default instead of me having to turn it off every time I start the engine?

Sorry if this was mentioned here before, I'm new to this forum.

I just took delivery of MY16 V6 TDI and slowly getting to know the car and with that I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions so please be patient with me:)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hi bion, welcome.

Ok, we will be patient as I remember asking where the battery was in one of my very earliest posts, so........

Had you used the "Search" facility and typed "Stop/start" in the "Search" option near the top of the screen you would have come up with this recent thread:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/start-stop-223698.html

which I think answers your question.

I suggest "Search" is your first port of call and if that doesn't answer your query ask by all means as we all learn by the wealth of information that fellow member have on this forum.

TonyB

Reactions: darko 77

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Why would you want to turn it off I like the fact that while I am in a city commute I'm not adding to green house gases while stopped

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Basically because it can be dangerous. Stop at an intersection, motor turns off, see a reasonable but short space, give the pedal a nudge and instead of instantly briskly moving forward to safely join into the traffic there is a pause and stumble as the car dribbles into the traffic and you have to decide -stop and maybe get nailed from behind or gun it after it finally wakes up and make a noisy exit. That's my experience with a Golf loaner anyway. John

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Some T4 owners report their car engine is turned off before they have even stopped which then makes it doubly dangerous if you suddenly need to power on.

·
Registered
752 Posts
No issues from me, as I said I like it, it has a relatively fast start my foot leaves the brake pedal and by the time it hits the accelerator it's going - no issues

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all I'll just stick with turning it off manually every time I turn the engine on.

In respect to green house gases as someone said....if was really interested in saving the planet I'd buy Prius not V6 :))

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks NoobyToogy. I note it took a French former Audi owner to identify the simple VCDS fix.

Tried the fix and it works a treat. Yoo hoo. This fix should be added to the list of T3 VCDS tweaks on this forum.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Cool! Glad you have proved it works!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep - woohoo is in order!! :D

Thanks to our friend in Europe (and our friends in the Audi forum)

Cheers

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I wonder if VW interested in selling new starter motors. I personally hate this function , and don't see savings when one prices a new starter motor and thinks that most engine wear comes from starting and engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have found a very simple solution to this problem as it occurred in both our previous Passat's. Don't jam your foot hard on the brake when the car comes to a stop. Back off the brake until it just holds the car, stop / start function normally disengages and the car keeps running. The brakes need very little force to hold the car steady when stationary. Seems to be a difference as well in the Touareg as it does not have a DSG gearbox.

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
Most manufacturers now have stop start tech in their vehicles. Not just the euro but the japs too, helps reduce consumption, emissions, wear and tear etc but time will tell when after a few years these cars come in for a service.
Maybe it will prove the critics wrong, maybe it wont...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I actually came here to ask a completely unrelated question but saw this thread and have a very keen interest in the same issue with my GTI. Thought some of you may be interested to know this is an option. I have no idea if the electronics are even close to similar, but it's worth further investigation.

My name is the same here as it is over there. I've been running my solution for a few months and I've had zero issues. I had a number of incidents that convinced me VW's well intentioned idea is dangerous. Opinions may vary :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
2 minutes with VCDS sorts out STOP/START, no electronics required, and you can re-engage it or not as you wish:

How to disable Start/Stop - myTreg forums

The first code originated from a French guy trawling Audi sites.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Some T4 owners report their car engine is turned off before they have even stopped which then makes it doubly dangerous if you suddenly need to power on.
I noticed my T1 R5 uses no fuel on throttle off overrun, I'd say this is the condition you're referencing.

·
Registered
789 Posts
and don't see savings when one prices a new starter motor and thinks that most engine wear comes from starting and engine.
That's just the first cold start of the day that causes excessive wear because a cold motor has tighter tolerances but mostly because all the oil has drained back into the sump and the engine starts dry.

As for savings, my R5 uses .9 litres per hour idling with the AC off, 1.2 ~ 1.2 litres per hour AC on, so....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts