Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 V6, and I recently began getting a "squealing" noise when the A/C is running. I just had the 80,000-mile maintenance a couple of months ago. Any ideas what this could be? Is there a cheap fix?

·
NYFAIM - What's it mean?
525 Posts
Squealing AC noise? Does the squealing noise originate from inside the cabin or under the bonnet?

If the squealing noise originates from inside the cabin, it's likely originating from the pesky blower fan motor bearing that eventually fails.

Definitely not a cheap or easy fix. Blower housing must be dropped from passenger side underdash and blower fan motor replaced. Blower fan motor is ~$275.

Or, while the blower housing is dropped, apply some lightweight 3-in-1 oil on the blower motor shaft to temporarily quiet the galling bearing.

If the blower fan motor bearing is the problem, nothing short of replacing the blower fan motor will quiet the squealing long-term.

If the squealing noise originates from under the bonnet, the serpentine belt that drives the AC compressor is likely slipping. The belt tensioner may have failed and is allowing the serpentine belt to run with slack tension. The serpentine belt is fairly inexpensive (~$75) and can be replaced in about two hours. The belt tensioner is a bit more difficult to replace and that part is ~$180.

Be sure to confirm that the AC compressor clutch pulley has not stalled causing the serpentine belt to slip over the stalled clutch pulley when the engine is running. If this happens the stalled AC compressor clutch pulley will eventually burn through the serpentine belt and the belt will fail.

Definitely not a good thing to have the serpentine belt fail on the Treg V6 engine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I read that off to my husband, and he knows exactly what you're talking about. We appreciate the info. It is very helpful.

The squealing (or chirping?) is inside the cabin. Hubby says it sounds like a cricket set on repeat. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
WOW !!! This was very useful info indeed!

What a great forum. I am new here but will defiantly contribute to the cause:)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No, DEFIANT is just fine!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts