Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There doesn't seem to be a thread on this. Has anyone installed a Sprint Booster in their T'reg? If you did it on a T3, can you share how the installation went?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
They're bogus. They just change the "mapping" of your accelerator pedal. It makes it MORE sensitive. You can do the same thing for FREE by just flooring it every time you want togo somewhere. :- )

For the $250+ USD they charge, I'll send you a brick you can zip tie to your accelerator pedal and it will have the same effect. :- /

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you are working with your TDI, your best bet is to find a Malone Tuning dealer in your area. Or, if you have Vag-Com, contact Malone Tuning directly.

This will be the best bang for your buck.

Sprint Boosters are no good, no matter what vehicle. As FSJ said, its just tricking the ECU into thinkin the accelerator is pushed farther than what it is. There is 0 actual performance gain.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify - I'm not looking for a performance gain. I'm looking to improve the reaction time between when I push the pedal and when something happens. I've noticed that, often, I push the pedal to get out into traffic and it takes a second for the car to react. A few times that has almost caught me out in the intersection with no power. I'd like to avoid that.

As far as performance goes on the TDI, I'm not looking to change anything.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
That sounds like turbocharger reaction time. The previous CATA engines (up to 2013) had a different turbo, which spooled up earlier to create full torque at lower speeds. Your turbo was a response to people that wanted more of a "Porsche" powerband, and it spools up a bit slower, unfortunately. It's a turbo performance issue, and there is no easy fix.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just to clarify - I'm not looking for a performance gain. I'm looking to improve the reaction time between when I push the pedal and when something happens. I've noticed that, often, I push the pedal to get out into traffic and it takes a second for the car to react. A few times that has almost caught me out in the intersection with no power. I'd like to avoid that.
Since you have a T3, just use Sport mode. Sport mode has an aggressive remap of the transmission and throttle. It won't let revs drop below ~2000 RPM or so to ensure you are always in boost. It also remaps the throttle to make it much more sensitive (which is what you are looking for).

And, since it wants to keep revs up, it downshifts in a much more noticeable fashion as you are slowing too - all in an effort to make sure revs don't drop below 2k (or so).

In my T2, Sport mode was a laugh. In my T3, there is an extremely tangible difference. Sport mode locks out 8th gear until 80mph or so (when 8th gear is above 2k rpm).

Give it a whirl - it may solve all your problems.... I run around town in Sport mode frequently. The only annoying part is it's desire to downshift into first gear at low speeds (again to keep revs up).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts