Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I detail my new Treg weekly and noticed that there are water spots that do not come off with glass cleaner or soapy water. Of course it's really only noticeable to me, but when you spend good money on a Treg you expect perfection. Any ideas if I should address with my dealer or do you think I'll end up SOL? I should have more closely evaluated he glass before I made my purchase, but it's easy to get wrapped up in the excitement! Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ya I know what you are talking about. I have had water spots on my glass since the day I bought it and normal washing has not taken it off. I have used 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water on my boat to get rid of water spots but I am hesitant to get vinegar on the paint and plastic of the car. I am curious to hear what others have to say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have learned my lesson becuase I had the same issue, but more severe with a '97 Ford Explorer. At the time it was even recommended to use jeweler's ruge sp. and other abrasives that of course left major swirls on the glass making it worse.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The water spot solution...

Umm... how is it VW's ( or any manufactueres's) fault? The spots are from the water source. It is either your house, the car wash or mother nature. When the H20 evaporates, it leaves behind whatever was trapped or added to it. Therefore it is the minerals in the water or the dirt and debris in what is often refered to as "acid-rain" causing the spots.

I have had city water that spots and well water that doesn't. I have also experienced the inverse. While living in Connecticut, rain water spotted all my car windows. I now live in North Carolina, and don't have a problem with rain water. Your enviroment depends alot on the severity of the spots.

My city water does leave spots especially after you wash the car if it is hot out or sunny.

Anyway, here is the fix. It is ongoing maintence.

Griot's Garage at (griotsgarage.com) makes a Glass Polish. It won't harm your glass, if you follow the directions. It removes the spots and leaves no swirls. I also recomend Griot's Window Cleaner and Lint-Free Towels. I use these on my Touareg, Porsche and GMC Yukon XL all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the response and I will visit the web-site that you recommended. I have only had the Treg for a few weeks and it is garage kept at all times. The reason I am making an inquiry to VW is because the spotting had to occur while the vehicle was exposed to the elements at one of two dealerships (the Treg was transferred from another dealership). I am also in North Carolina (Huntersville) and my '03 Passat is detailed weekly and garage kept with zero spotting. Regardless, I've sent in an e-mail inquiry asking what they are willing to do if anything. Thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also live in Huntersville. What dealer do you use? I avoid Keffer, and all the Charlotte VW / Audi dealers like the plague.

Interested to here what VW tells you... water spots are water spots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased both VW's that I own from Keffer primarily because of location. Where do you go for sales and service if not Carolina VW, Keffer, or VW South? When I was preparing to purchase the Touareg I contacted Carolina VW first and the salesman was clearly trying to work me. He also mentioned nothing about the $1000 VW loyalty incentive. As a result, I will never take my business to Carolina VW. I also shopped VW South last year when I was looking for a 1.8T Passat. They never returned my calls and clearly did not want to earn my business. Therefore, my only option was Keffer and fortunately they went below invoice and threw in the loyalty incentive and met me halfway on the hitch. Regarding the water spots, the Toaureg was hit by hydroseeding overspray near Harris Blvd last week which is similar to black spray paint. I had to use Meguiar's paint cleaner and rewax the entire vehicle. I also used some diluted paint cleaner on the windows with a sponge. No swirls, but I am now having trouble finding significant spotting. I'll have to check once more tonight because it's going into the shop tomorrow am for TSB's and other service.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I go all the way to Parmount in Hickory (53 miles). This was the only dealer that was willing to sell me what I wanted, not try to put me in what they had on the lot.

I negotiated the deal in 20 minutes via fax and phone. They offered me a fair price at the start of negotiations and then came down off that number. They had exactly what I wanted and never tried to push me into something else. He was up front with me, explaining that if he did not have the exact T-reg, he could dealer trade for what I wanted, but that I would not get the best price that way. Paramount beat Keffer by $2500 and the other dealers by similar amounts. Everyone was pleaseant, I can't say that about Keffer's smarmy finance guy, inattentive salesmen and unresponsive management.

Service has been terffic. Recalls were handles quickly and efficently. The down-time at the dealer was one overnight to repair several minor issues. I get a loaner every time. I schedule my regualer maintence (oil change every 3,000 miles)

Paramount will continue to get my business. They will be the first and perhaps only dealer I visit for my next vehicle. They carry another brand I am adding to my stable.

As for the others...

Keffer, on top of the above, kept trying to sell me what they had on the lot. Adding insult to injury, they kept trying to keep the price up. Bottom-line, they just gave me the run around. I got the impression that Keffer felt they were the reason I should by the VW, not on the merits of the product. They are also the only dealer I have seen that puts a chessy "Keffer VW" sticker on the tailgate and adds a "Keffer VW" license plate frame. They called offering me a red air suspension V6 the day I picked up my V8. I enjoyed telling them I already had my new Touareg!

VW Charlotte serviced my Audi afer I moved her. Their lack of customer service is the reason I don't have an S4 Avant and have the T-reg. My CT Audi dealer was fantastic, just like Paramount.

Over the phone, VW South offered me MSRP on a V6 in a color combination I wanted and MSRP on a V8 in the wrong color with options I didn't want . They really even try to get my business.

Dealers who understand you are buying a VW (or any other marque) and not a "Keffer" get my business. The rest are just losers....

Yikes! I must have been holding this in... thanks for asking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will certainly keep your comments in mind for future reference. Keffer performed the 5K mile service and remaining TSB, the BD12, and had to order a replacement fog light for the passenger side due to condensation. They could not get the spots off with clay bar, windex, etc.. and their service manager stated that environmental damage is not covered by warranty. Then I contacted VW Customer Care and of course they had no record of speaking to Keffer that day which indicates that the service manager was trying to blow me off. Now I am at a point where they will have a field technician schedule an appointment to evaluate the damage. One day has gone by and I haven't heard from VW or Keffer. So I'll follow up today. Either way I am going to proceed to order the glass polish. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
When we purchased ours they cleaned it up and brought it into the showroom to show it off. Something was obviously wrong, and was not noticed during two test drives. The exterior of all the windows seemed to be pitted. The detail guy was trying hard to make it look good but could not. umm. This was closing time and one of the guys in the back said something about acid rain ??? he spoke mostly Spanish, and that someone knew what to do but had gone home for the night. From what i could gather, it involved very fine steel wool. Great! We left it there for the night, and they assured us it would be made right and delivered to our house the next day. They even signed a form saying they would do what was necessary. Well, they did. I was worried about the steel wool business, but it worked just fine. This was six months ago, no pitting, glare, or anything unusual. I didnt think it could be done, and all the glass would need replacing. This was Osborn VW in Lakewood Colorado. Maybe they can give you some information if you think any of your "spotting" is due to pitting. Can you feel anything except smooth glass? I dont think our was really pitting, but something on it that would not come off with any chemical cleaner. good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
raclro said:
When we purchased ours they cleaned it up and brought it into the showroom to show it off. Something was obviously wrong, and was not noticed during two test drives. The exterior of all the windows seemed to be pitted. The detail guy was trying hard to make it look good but could not. umm. This was closing time and one of the guys in the back said something about acid rain ??? he spoke mostly Spanish, and that someone knew what to do but had gone home for the night. From what i could gather, it involved very fine steel wool. Great! We left it there for the night, and they assured us it would be made right and delivered to our house the next day. They even signed a form saying they would do what was necessary. Well, they did. I was worried about the steel wool business, but it worked just fine. This was six months ago, no pitting, glare, or anything unusual. I didnt think it could be done, and all the glass would need replacing. This was Osborn VW in Lakewood Colorado. Maybe they can give you some information if you think any of your "spotting" is due to pitting. Can you feel anything except smooth glass? I dont think our was really pitting, but something on it that would not come off with any chemical cleaner. good luck

I can not feel the spotting, but I have proceeded to order the glass polish that bhbarr recommended. A few years ago I had an Explorer with more severe damage and used Bar Keeper's Friend that a detailing shop suggested. After several attempts all I was left with were swirls. So I think I'll stay away from anything abrasive. Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.