Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use sport mode all the time? Is it bad to do so? I've started using it all the time except for in parking lots and neighborhoods. I tried drive on the streets after sport mode and boy does it feel sluggish!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I prefer Tiptronic when I want to "make progress"!

Selecting your own gears sets the car up nicely for fast road work.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I use sport in town and get better economy that way. D for highways.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I also rarely use tip because I forget to shift on occasion. I do notice maybe a 1mpg difference on the mfd, worse of course, on the same routes I drove in D. Well shoot... I guess going back to D and then using S only when needed is the more sensible thing to do. Thanks for talking some sense into me guys!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't think it just runs one gear lower than D. But as you say when I need it I use it, however I rarely use triptronic, and when I do I often forget to change gear!
I did not say it JUST (only) runs one gear lower in S. It also shifts quicker on downshifts and holds lower gears longer during acceleration. But ONE of the things S does (at least on mine) is it tends to run around one gear lower than when in D.

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
I use TIP more then I use sport. TIP I use mainly for driving down our steep canyons here and saving the brakes to allow the motor to brake for me. I have over 70K on my TDI and still on the original rear pads. Just changed the front pads last year when I turned over 60K. I think there is a lot to be said about using TIP to help slow the car down.

Reactions: BeemerMikeTX

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use sport mode in and around the city once in a while when I have to do some "maneuvering". I don't like the delay and downshifts I get from pressing the GO pedal a moderate amount and I find sport mode with the locked torque-converter and lower gear gives me the response I want. For fun I use TIP mode quite a bit because, frankly, I'm a bit of a control-freak and I really miss driving a proper manual. But I'd say 60-70 of my driving I just putt around in D because I seem to use less fuel and it's a bit smoother of a drive.

As I mentioned earlier, S-mode locks the torque converter so you get a more direct RPM vs. Speed relationship. I hate the laggy/hanging RPMs automatics have when accelerating so I tend to use S/TIP more often. I wish there was a way to lock the TC without having to deal with the downsides of sport mode (lower gearing and higher revs).

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like the Sport for towing in town. It has a bit higher engine speed and faster shifting. D for the highway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also like the Sport mode for towing. Even on the highway I select 7th gear to prevent any possible lugging and improved acceleration.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use TIP more then I use sport. TIP I use mainly for driving down our steep canyons here and saving the brakes to allow the motor to brake for me. I have over 70K on my TDI and still on the original rear pads. Just changed the front pads last year when I turned over 60K. I think there is a lot to be said about using TIP to help slow the car down.
I agree, I use the TIP a lot when going down hills, especially on winding roads. Last thing I want to do is to chew up my brake pads prematurely.

I have given up on using the TIP around town. Tried it a number of times, but I I found that the V8 TDi engine has so much muscle, I just let the transmission and torque zoom in and out of traffic with ease, mostly leaving in "D". Occasionally, I put it is "S", but I value keeping my license more than showing off that my car can out drag theirs in rolling starts0:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
....I found that the V8 TDi engine has so much muscle...
Gahhh....... so jealous you get the V8 TDI. I love my V6 TDI, but the V8 would be amazing. Damn you VW North America for not bringing this here!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also think it never shifts into 8th, maxes out in 7th gear...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I use sport mode everywhere except interstates. The throttle tap to downshift works much better in sport mode than drive. On my 2011 I got 110,000 miles out of my brakes. I let the engine do most of my slowing for corners and slowing down.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use sport mode everywhere except interstates. The throttle tap to downshift works much better in sport mode than drive. On my 2011 I got 110,000 miles out of my brakes. I let the engine do most of my slowing for corners and slowing down.
Finally someone who agrees with me. From now on its D on interstates, parking lots and neighborhoods and maybe bumper to bumper traffic. S all other times!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Gahhh....... so jealous you get the V8 TDI. I love my V6 TDI, but the V8 would be amazing. Damn you VW North America for not bringing this here!
tune your v6...it is unreal better

1 - 20 of 23 Posts