Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Yes, it’s set to “precise location”. I should also mention that it was the same with my previous iPhone, and I’ve tested my phone in my wife’s car and the speed is dead on. My previous iPhones were also within 0.5mph in my old VW Sportwagen.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
I personally don't trust the phone GPS based on what I know to that extent. I'd try to borrow an actual GPS unit (Tom Tom or similar) to check against. You are running OEM size, and I'd have a hard time believing that your speedo is actually making you "speed" from the factory.

The GPS accuracy on phones is usually only within +/- 5m or something at best, and they reduce transmitting power in order to conserve battery.... a dedicated GPS unit will be much more accurate and reliable if you're trying to narrow things down to that kind of accuracy.

· Registered
2010 TDI
514 Posts
I personally don't trust the phone GPS based on what I know to that extent. I'd try to borrow an actual GPS unit (Tom Tom or similar) to check against. You are running OEM size, and I'd have a hard time believing that your speedo is actually making you "speed" from the factory.

The GPS accuracy on phones is usually only within +/- 5m or something at best, and they reduce transmitting power in order to conserve battery.... a dedicated GPS unit will be much more accurate and reliable if you're trying to narrow things down to that kind of accuracy.
What does the phones power level have to do with receiving a GPS signal? It is receiving, not transmitting anything. The satellites are doing the transmitting. All GPS units, be they in a phone or a Garmin/Tom Tom or a dongle on a laptop or in your car's nav system, are not transmitting anything. They are receivers only.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
Example

· Registered
2010 TDI
514 Posts
Example
I understand the device uses more power if a GPS receiver is powered. That's understandable. High-precision using two will certainly consume more power. Power consumption is an issue in a device for sure. I thought your point was about it using more power to transmit something while in high(er) precision mode.

Carry on.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts