Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer on my 2005 Touareg V6 stops working intermitently and when that happens, I get a brake and abs light, along with check engine light. Also cruise control works sometimes, but mostly not at all. Mechanic says I need a new ABS module.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Independent mechanic or VW shop? Those symptoms might also be related to bad wheel speed sensors and/or wires/connectors in those circuits. It is IMPORTANT to get a scan with VCDS and figure out what that is telling you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Retired VW mechanic. Put it on his computer and said my battery is very week AND I need a new ABS module.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You should replace your battery first, then have some one clear any faults found using vcds. Take it for a drive and the rescan for any ABS module specific faults, if nothing comes up then no need to replace the module, if the problem returns then at least you now know it's not supply voltage related and then start on the ABS module.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above:

Battery change first.

Then clear all faults with VCDS.

Then drive it.

Then scan it again with VCDS.

Post the list of any faults that return on here.

But certainly I'd be looking at the wheel speed sensor regardless - far cheaper than a new ABS unit which can be rebuilt by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much. Having a new battery put in tomorrow and then will follow directions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts