Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.

i just bought a my first vw and my speedometer is out. i have looked and read around that yes they do it on purpose. however mine is 7% out i want to get that to 0 if possiable. now i noramlly would just go buy oversized tired but mine are brand new. im looking for a step by step guide on how to fix it in vagcom (vcds).

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
7% sounds about right, VWs done it that way since at least the MK4 days. It’s intentional to cover issues of different tire sizes on a model (15-18” on the Mk4, for example), calibration errors etc. I don’t recall hearing how to adjust on the Touareg. On the Mk4 you could adjust the pulses per revolution.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,169 Posts
hey everyone.

i just bought a my first vw and my speedometer is out. i have looked and read around that yes they do it on purpose. however mine is 7% out i want to get that to 0 if possiable. now i noramlly would just go buy oversized tired but mine are brand new. im looking for a step by step guide on how to fix it in vagcom (vcds).
I think you might have good success posting a thread asking for this help on the Ross-Tech forums. Uwe is very knowledgeable and will most likely be able to tell you if it can be done and how.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
In Europe speedometers are not allowed by law to under read actual speed but they are allowed to over read by up to 10% so showing 33 mph when doing 30 and 66 mph when doing 60 is at the limit of the over read.

Typically the over read is 5%.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Volkswagen and most other German manufacturers do this with the speedometer on purpose. The actual odometer is correct it's just the software programming of the speedometer they set to read high. And I found out the faster you go with the more accurate the speedometer output actually is. Just leave it alone. Otherwise you're odometer will be way off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd like to know too. My Treg under reports which is opposite of all the German cars my family owns. Setting the cruise for 70mph, GPS is 71mph. I'm on stock tire size for 19". I like it how the Mk4 was, 70 is really 68. Prevents me from getting speeding tickets.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
You are not running the stock size tires then if this is the case bryan

Reactions: Black Grouse

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are not running the stock size tires then if this is the case bryan
265/50r19 with Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS plus II running stock PSI 33 front/39 rear. I have verified with other gps devices (with at least 3 satellites, accuracy of 3m) and used the same gps on different cars with opposite readings.My Touareg is always reads under, and the discrepancy is larger the higher the speed.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
265/50r19 with Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS plus II running stock PSI 33 front/39 rear. I have verified with other gps devices (with at least 3 satellites, accuracy of 3m) and used the same gps on different cars with opposite readings.My Touareg is always reads under, and the discrepancy is larger the higher the speed.
Extremely peculiar. I've never experienced that before. And your oem tire size was the 19s, not the 20s?

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
Our Exec rides on 20s and my wife just discovered how inaccurate the Treg is (similar to Bryan) or the brand new ID4 is inaccurate the other way. She kept walking me on the drive home with both of us locked at 75. Looked about 1.5-2mph faster on the Treg. ID4 tires brand new and Treg tires with maybe 2K on them.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
It's not that they're inaccurate, they're all programmed to read a couple percent high

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
It's not that they're inaccurate, they're all programmed to read a couple percent high
Yes, however, in my and Bryan's case they are reading slower so that's why I labeled it as inaccurate.

In my example, the ID4 was fluctuating between 75-76 and my wife's Treg was slowly passing me at 73. I'd normally expect it to go the other way (her driving at or slower than 73 when the cruise control is set at 75, for example).

I did consider the fact that the ID4 is probably exhibiting what you're describing, because I do agree that has always been the case in all of my other VW's (and BMW's, too, for that matter), but that still wouldn't explain why she was traveling faster than her speedo.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
You're right, that's definitely very strange...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Extremely peculiar. I've never experienced that before. And your oem tire size was the 19s, not the 20s?
Yup, mine is the Lux which came standard with 19”. I tried digging around in VCDS in case the previous owner changed some settings, but everything was stock. It’s certainly opposite of what I’m used to for German speedos running over.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
Yup, mine is the Lux which came standard with 19”. I tried digging around in VCDS in case the previous owner changed some settings, but everything was stock. It’s certainly opposite of what I’m used to for German speedos running over.
Have you had a chance to compare the GPS distance traveled to your odometer to see if there are discrepancies there, as well?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Have you had a chance to compare the GPS distance traveled to your odometer to see if there are discrepancies there, as well?
Great point. I highly recommend this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should be able to adjust the distance impulse number in VCDS. It only affects the introduced error in the needle display, not the actual odometer reading etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Both of mine are under reporting as well... I have a 2011 with stock sized 20’s and a 2016 with stock size 19’s. They both read slower than actually going, according to gps.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Both of mine are under reporting as well... I have a 2011 with stock sized 20’s and a 2016 with stock size 19’s. They both read slower than actually going, according to gps.
You didn't Read the thread. Your a car is SUPPOSED to read slower than you're actually going.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You didn't Read the thread. Your a car is SUPPOSED to read slower than you're actually going.
That makes no sense.... shouldn’t it be that it reads FASTER than you’re going??? Right now, reading 70 on my speedometer, I’m actually going 77... so the cops will pull me over. My speedometer is showing LESS speed than the gps says I’m going.
however, if my speedometer reads 70 and the gps says I’m going 68, I’m less likely to get a ticket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts