Club Touareg Forum banner

speedo.

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ech0sh4y 
#1 ·
Dose anyone know if you can re calibrate the speedo if you change to lower profile tyres ?

#2 ·
In search function type in Speedo and tire sizes, page 2 scroll down to thread by Dean Gordon Speedo Accuracy V6 Tdi and tyres choices. Seems that the Touaregs Speedo is most accurate with 265/65R17 tires

#3 ·
Short answer is no. Long answer is also no but you can recalibrate the internal workings for fuel consumption and such using VCDS by from -15% to +15% - but the speed indication will not change.

Module 17 – Instruments, Adaption – 10, Channel "Display correction of consumptions and operating range"

Higher than 100% will slow the internal speedo and lower than 100% will increase the internal speedo.

#4 ·
This question is right up my ally as I pondered that question before I fitted V10 differentials to my wife's V6 Tdi.
VW said you could but could not say how, Rosstech didn't know and I also spoke to a speedo repair firm and they said not possible.

To echo Toiler it is not possible to do any speedo correction via any form other than playing with tyre diameters.

The Touareg gets it speed reading from wheel rotations via the ABS tone wheel in the wheel bearing.
Basically from the factory it knows the circumference of a Touareg wheel (all Touareg's were released from the factory with tyre circumference within 1% of each other)

So again no on a Touareg but on a Golf you can enter a correction factor into the instrument cluster to do some correction just for info.

regards
Drag

#5 ·
Why would you want to ruin a great car with low profile tyres?

It's a 2.5 ton 4x4 not a pooftah sports car!!

#8 ·
Indeed, but if you really want low profiles you should perhaps consider 22 inch wheels otherwise you are going to end up with dinky looking wheels in the already over-large wheel arches.

By increasing the wheel size you can still fill the wheel arches with a 29 inch overall diameter wheel and 30 or 35% low profile tyre as per the standard OEM wheel and tyre set-ups.

#9 ·
Fair call, its just that the speedo already reeds a bit fast compared to the sat nav and the tires i was looking at were slightly smaller profile. I have fitted wheel spacers front and rear to bring the tires out to the outside of the wheel arches and lowered the suspension 40mm, I think it looks sweet. This rig is for towing my race car trailer i dont think i will take it off road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.