Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm in the market for a set of 20" wheels. I would only be using the wheels from spring to the end of fall. So I believe going with a strict summer tire would be the way to go since I have a nice set of snows. I know Touareg's can chew threw tires. I'd like to get the most out of the tires. So I'm shopping around for a tire that I can get at least 3 seasons out of, roughly 18k miles. What would be a good summer tire that would potentially get me these results? I was looking at the Conti ExtremeContacts.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Michelin Latitude Tour: a good handling/braking, quiet/comfortable tire.

I'd be disappointed to hear that you got less than 30K out of these unless you drive your car like you stole it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hello all! I'm in the market for a set of 20" wheels. I would only be using the wheels from spring to the end of fall. So I believe going with a strict summer tire would be the way to go since I have a nice set of snows. I know Touareg's can chew threw tires. I'd like to get the most out of the tires. So I'm shopping around for a tire that I can get at least 3 seasons out of, roughly 18k miles. What would be a good summer tire that would potentially get me these results? I was looking at the Conti ExtremeContacts.

Thanks in advance.
I can't tell you about how long they'll last on the Touareg...I've got a couple of sets on my Audis, and they are a great, long lasting tire.

My Touareg came with a fresh set of Contis, in a 19" size, and they are quite good - quiet, smooth ride, decent handling. I would not hesitate to buy them again for the Touareg.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michelin Latitude Tour: a good handling/braking, quiet/comfortable tire.

I'd be disappointed to hear that you got less than 30K out of these unless you drive your car like you stole it.
I'll look into those as well and compare! Thanks for the suggestion.

I can't tell you about how long they'll last on the Touareg...I've got a couple of sets on my Audis, and they are a great, long lasting tire.

My Touareg came with a fresh set of Contis, in a 19" size, and they are quite good - quiet, smooth ride, decent handling. I would not hesitate to buy them again for the Touareg.

Hope this helps.
I've had some good luck with Contis on passenger vehicle's, but when it comes to Touareg's and the weight of this vehicle, you just have to choose the right tire to get the most out of it. I honestly don't care about a super quiet ride because I listen to music at a fairly audible level. Plus, I'm used to super low profile tires on my big turbo GLI.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have the Extreme Contact DW tires on my Eos and they are nice and sticky on pavement. As expected, they are terrible on gravel/dirt roads. Once they break traction and start to slide in gravel/dirt, it is very hard to get it back until the ESP kicks in. AMHIK. :- )

I can't tell you how they'd wear on a larger vehicle like the Touareg, but I'm happy with the wear I'm getting on the Eos. They're my only set of tires for that car, as the Touareg sees winter duty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Extreme Contact DW tires on my Eos and they are nice and sticky on pavement. As expected, they are terrible on gravel/dirt roads. Once they break traction and start to slide in gravel/dirt, it is very hard to get it back until the ESP kicks in. AMHIK. :- )

I can't tell you how they'd wear on a larger vehicle like the Touareg, but I'm happy with the wear I'm getting on the Eos. They're my only set of tires for that car, as the Touareg sees winter duty.
I don't plan on going on many off-road adventures with the Reg with summer tires on, especially 20"! The wheels I'm planning on getting are too pretty to go off-roading with. I found a set of Hankook Ventus ST RH06's. I've read quite a few good reviews on them. I've used Hankook Ventus on my GLI before and had great luck with them.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Ha ha. I don't blame you. I've got a set of 17" rims for when I start hitting the trails.

It's hard to avoid dirt roads in some parts of Colorado, but I don't make it a habit in my Eos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only place I have to worry about dirt roads is in the Adirondack Mountains when I go to visit my father. And even there I really don't drive around. We're normally using his old F150 to get to camp or 4 wheelers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
scavok, what do you mean about Touaregs chewing through tires. Is there something these cars do that most cars don't do? I did notice in the manual of the 2011 that we just bought that they have had two new sets of tires on this car in a little over 40,000 miles. I now have a new set put on by the dealer prior to selling the car to me. They are Coopers and i wonder how these will last on my "new to me" car.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I haven't had mine long enough to see, but I suspect it's from people running passenger car low profile tires and driving it like a sports car. LOL!

It's a big honking' SUV. It really needs light truck tires, IMHO. But the low profile tires halve nicely, I must say.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
scavok - Have you checked the wear rating for the tires listed at Tire Rack? I know they don't carry or list the ratings on all brands (they don't handle Cooper last I checked) but relatively speaking the rankings should be pretty accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts