Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gen 1 vr6 touareg. Has developed a whistling noise that starts around 30 kmh and increases in volume and pitch until about 65 kmh and then it instantly cuts out.
Literally i hit 65 kmh and the noise just stops. As soon as i slow down below 65 it's back.
It is NOT rpm dependent, it is not gear dependent (manually shift to other gears and the noise doesn't change), it is not acceleration/coasting/braking dependent. It's just there at the speeds i drive 95% of the time.
I'm wondering if there's some sort of intake valve or something that's ECU controlled in that speed range? Sounds like it's coming from engine compartment but i can't run fast enough beside the vehicle with the hood open to listen (that's supposed to be humour)
Fwiw replaced PCV 2 yrs ago and main drive shaft (ie center brg was shot) last year.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You have cross rails installed? Mine will whistle at specific speeds

·
Registered
489 Posts
VWs-4-life and I are thinking the same thing.

I had a very similar occurrence (almost the exact same parameters of speed as you mentioned) happen after a windshield replacement on my T1. I put tape over the seams of my windshield and removed sections until I found where it was coming from. Three windshields later, after Safelite finally capitulated and used OEM glass, it was fixed. It’s amazing how much of a whistle a little bit of a misalignment of the top leading edge can produce. Maybe something on your front end/belly pan/hood has come loose or is misaligned? 🤷‍♂️.

Hope you get it figured out as I know how frustrating and annoying that can be.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Also, it was very hard to tell where it was coming from as I thought it was the lower part of the windshield or the engine bay initially. The interior noise was being amplified by the dash and the windshield making the source almost impossible to identify.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't think it's a wind related noise primarily because it disappears abruptly at about 65 kmh. It's literally like someone just flicks a switch and it's gone, doesn't even fade away. Location wise it sounds like transmission area so could be an output shaft or transfer case noise? It seems to have a slight electrical noise to it (if that makes sense) which is why i'm thinking it's a computer controlled valve or something.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
The aerodynamic "wind deflection" will vary with speed.... it's quite feasible that after 65kph the wind is deflected over\around said "whistling" feature.....

Look around for anything hanging below or as previously stated, any crossbars, roof rack attachments..... or door\window\sunroof seals.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yep, my high-pitched whistle immediately disappeared once I reached about 65 mph and started as soon as I hit 30 mph. It sounded constant and unchanged until I went fast enough to make it stop completely. It was not at all like the roof rack noise I’ve had that sounds like wind buffeting and fluctuates in intensity with changes in speed.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My cross rails have a very small channel running on the bottom side. Before I taped them off with black gorilla tape they would whistle like Dixie it was unreal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts