Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So stage one of my stereo upgrade is replacing the 4 loudspeakers in all for doors. (3 of the 4 are blown) with some Kenwood XR-1800 speakers. I chose these speakers cause they were the closest to the size and power of the original Dynaudio speakers. The challenge being how to mount new speakers into the existing speaker bracket while still using the oem bracket and baffle in the door. First you have to drill out the rivots to remove the old speaker and bracket from the door. Unscrew the old speaker from the bracket (6 screws on back side). Throw crap speaker away! You need to reinforce the areas of the bracket that you will be inserting screws to hold the speaker, so I filled the cavities on the back side of the bracket with epoxy to give the screws something to hold to. On the front side, place new speaker on bracket and match up screw slots with epoxy points and mark on bracket and where you need to add new screw slots and on the new speaker. Drill and Dremel new slots on new speaker. Once the epoxy has fully hardened, drill small screw holes on front side of bracket into each epoxy point to match slots on new speaker. Solder new speaker connections to the inside of the bracket for easy attachement to new speaker. This will allow the oem connection on the outside of the bracket to be maintianed. I'm anal, so I even rivoted the bracket into place just as the oem setup. Then connect and screw new speaker into place, reinstall the oem baffle, and give it a test before you put the door back together! Wah La!! Repeat 3 more times!! See pix!!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good write up. Quick question for you. How is the low end compared to the factory setup?
Sounds as good as I expected. I can't be completely sure the difference, since 3 out of the 4 speakers were blown when I bought the car, so I never heard the full Dynaudio system. But no complaints now!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bummer so you can't compare it to the original Dynaudio. You think it sounds pretty good though? Factor receiver/amp?

Reactions: BadViking71

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer so you can't compare it to the original Dynaudio. You think it sounds pretty good though? Factor receiver/amp?
I think it sounds pretty darn good. Low end is solid!! I just completed a RNS-510 swap with the original amp still pushing all speakers. Tweeters are all still original Dynaudio and working fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
nice write up superfly...ive got a stock 2007 T1 and want to upgrade the speakers, mine are blown as well. Did you rn those kenwoods with the stock head unit as well as the rns510? id so did they work well? Also, cant find the XR1800 speakers that are woofer only, all the links that come up are 2 way speakers. Have you a link or different part number?

much thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice write up superfly...ive got a stock 2007 T1 and want to upgrade the speakers, mine are blown as well. Did you rn those kenwoods with the stock head unit as well as the rns510? id so did they work well? Also, cant find the XR1800 speakers that are woofer only, all the links that come up are 2 way speakers. Have you a link or different part number?

much thanks
Hey Matt, I did run the speakers only for a couple days with the old MFD2 unit, just to make sure my oem amp was still functioning. Once that was determined, I pulled the unit and replaced it with the RNS-510 (big write up on that in forum). I did use the 2-way version in the rear doors and the XR-1800P in the front doors. I just didn't use the tweeters that came with those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I need to replace several of my speaker so I'll just to all of them, I think I have 10... are Kenwood the best or just the ones that fit the best? I've got a 2009 with non-Dynaudio whatever that is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I need to replace several of my speaker so I'll just to all of them, I think I have 10... are Kenwood the best or just the ones that fit the best? I've got a 2009 with non-Dynaudio whatever that is.
Hey BadViking!! I chose the Kenwood 1800s for 2 reasons. One: Kenwood has always made decent speakers, so I have confidence in their products. Two: They were the only sized speakers I could find that would work with the original speaker bracket and baffle. Any other size will require major modification ( and the Kenwoods took some work too) to mounting them to the doors with some sort of speaker bracket. The baffles close up the 2 inch gap between the speaker and the grill in the door panel so you don't lose all the sound inside the door. That's why I figured it was important to find the closest match possible. I've seen others on here create speaker mounts and it looks like a pain in the ass!! I think my install was pretty good and looks faily oem, even though you don't really see it. Finally, I had to consider what the oem amplifier could handle. I didn't want to put a more powerful speaker in there and stress the 12 year old amp. If that goes, then I'd have a major headache to replace that and redo all the wiring. I don't want to go there!! LOL.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey BadViking!! I chose the Kenwood 1800s for 2 reasons. One: Kenwood has always made decent speakers, so I have confidence in their products. Two: They were the only sized speakers I could find that would work with the original speaker bracket and baffle. Any other size will require major modification ( and the Kenwoods took some work too) to mounting them to the doors with some sort of speaker bracket. The baffles close up the 2 inch gap between the speaker and the grill in the door panel so you don't lose all the sound inside the door. That's why I figured it was important to find the closest match possible. I've seen others on here create speaker mounts and it looks like a pain in the ass!! I think my install was pretty good and looks faily oem, even though you don't really see it. Finally, I had to consider what the oem amplifier could handle. I didn't want to put a more powerful speaker in there and stress the 12 year old amp. If that goes, then I'd have a major headache to replace that and redo all the wiring. I don't want to go there!! LOL.
I've replaced several VW speakers and drilling out rivets and making things fit was always necessary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just removed my driver's door card and there's a single large speaker toward the front but no midrange, I assumed it would have one since my Golf does! It looks in good shape so I'll leave it for now. Maybe it's the rears causing problems.

·
Registered
833 Posts
why don't you use the built-in fader and fade to each speaker individually to see which one is giving you issues

1 - 19 of 19 Posts