Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So stage one of my stereo upgrade is replacing the 4 loudspeakers in all for doors. (3 of the 4 are blown) with some Pioneer XR-1800 speakers. I chose these speakers cause they were the closest to the size and power of the original Dynaudio speakers. The challenge being how to mount new speakers into the existing speaker bracket while still using the oem bracket and baffle in the door. First you have to drill out the rivots to remove the old speaker and bracket from the door. Unscrew the old speaker from the bracket (6 screws on back side). Throw crap speaker away! You need to reinforce the areas of the bracket that you will be inserting screws to hold the speaker, so I filled the cavities on the back side of the bracket with epoxy to give the screws something to hold to. On the front side, place new speaker on bracket and match up screw slots with epoxy points and mark on bracket and where you need to add new screw slots and on the new speaker. Drill and Dremel new slots on new speaker. Once the epoxy has fully hardened, drill small screw holes on front side of bracket into each epoxy point to match slots on new speaker. Solder new speaker connections to the inside of the bracket for easy attachement to new speaker. This will allow the oem connection on the outside of the bracket to be maintianed. I'm anal, so I even rivoted the bracket into place just as the oem setup. Then connect and screw new speaker into place, reinstall the oem baffle, and give it a test before you put the door back together! Wah La!! Repeat 3 more times!! See pix!!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good write up. Quick question for you. How is the low end compared to the factory setup?
Sounds as good as I expected. I can't be completely sure the difference, since 3 out of the 4 speakers were blown when I bought the car, so I never heard the full Dynaudio system. But no complaints now!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts