Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving and my front speaker right by the mirror made this noise that was almost a squeaking noise, at first I thought it was my windshield wiper. But then I realized that my top speaker no longer had music coming out of it. Did I blow a fuse? Or should I just buy a new speaker? What is the top speaker called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is a tweeter. Doubt you blew a fuse, those are for power and the head unit or amp, individual speakers are not fused. There is a crossover of some sort because the tweeter is separated, that could have went out as well. How is the sound quality overall impacted?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a tweeter. Doubt you blew a fuse, those are for power and the head unit or amp, individual speakers are not fused. There is a crossover of some sort because the tweeter is separated, that could have went out as well. How is the sound quality overall impacted?

Where is the crossover? The rest of the sound still sounds perfect. It still bumps hard too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know which sound system came in your 2004. I'm looking through the wiring diagrams and if you have the passive 10 speaker system there isn't a crossover. If you have the 8 channel "Volkswagen Sound Package" or the 10 speaker "Dynaudio Sound Package" any crossover functions are most likely in the amp. That is just what I can see based on wiring diagrams, others may have more practical experience. It really may be that the small tweeter did just give up, being around 15 years old and in a vehicle.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know which sound system came in your 2004. I'm looking through the wiring diagrams and if you have the passive 10 speaker system there isn't a crossover. If you have the 8 channel "Volkswagen Sound Package" or the 10 speaker "Dynaudio Sound Package" any crossover functions are most likely in the amp. That is just what I can see based on wiring diagrams, others may have more practical experience. It really may be that the small tweeter did just give up, being around 15 years old and in a vehicle.

I honestly think it’s just the tweeter, (nock wood) I have a **** ton of miles on it. And the stereo is always on. How do I find out which system I have? Would it make a difference? Are all tweeters the same?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know for certain without the build option codes. The tweeters are probably the same or could be replaced by the same. I'd check out Crutchfield and see what they say will fit as a good starting point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tweeters come in different sizes. What I'll do is find a Touareg V8 for parts and take out the tweeters from it. It shouldn't be difficult to replace; I have taken it out before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts