Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

In preparation for the Perth Trip I am thinking we need a full size spare for the outback crossing, whats the best way people have sourced these? I have looked on Ebay but there isn't much at the moment.

Thanks
Ian

·
Super Moderator
9,745 Posts
I was going to suggest Ebay, but you already looked there. That is where I got my full size spare wheel from.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
where will you put the spare?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Everyone,

In preparation for the Perth Trip I am thinking we need a full size spare for the outback crossing, whats the best way people have sourced these? I have looked on Ebay but there isn't much at the moment.

Thanks
Ian
Ian

Keep looking on ebay & trading post, they come up every so often.
If you are not concerned about style to match existing wheels Porche and Audi Q7 wheels are interchangeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of getting roof racks and a grate on the racks to mount of the roof. Love the pictures of the roof mounted one. How did you do that??

Does the wheel have to be exactly the same or can I use any full size Touareg wheel?

Ian

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The overall diameter of all Touareg [T1/T2/T3/T4] factory wheel/tyres combinations, whether using 17/18/19/20/21 inch wheels, is 29 inches plus or minus a fraction.

However, to avoid possible expensive damage through transmission wind-up, it is essential that all four tyres on a Touareg are identical as in same make, same model, same tread pattern and, obviously, the same size; and there should be no more than 2mm tread depth difference on the same axle and no more than 3mm tread depth difference between front and rear axles.

The spacesaver spare is stronger than people think - I've used it on and off road - but for your terrain, you are doing the sensible thing in finding a full sized spare wheel and I'll come to that in a moment.

One thing I and others recommend is getting a set of tyre strings. These are immensely useful in fixing punctures - even quite large holes - quickly without even taking the wheel off the car. Find an old wheel and tyre and practice two or three repairs before setting out.

If you look at the spacesaver you will see 50mph/80kph MAXIMUM SPEED stickers all over it.

The spacesaver overall diameter doesn't really match most of the ODs in the factory fit wheel/tyre combinations, but that doesn't matter AS LONG AS you do NOT exceed that speed limit.

The Touareg's electronics can sort out the potential transmission wind-up up to that 50/80 speed limt, but not beyond it and that's when damage may occur.

The potential for transmission wind-up is significantly reduced when running on loose or slippery surfaces such as sand, gravel, ice or snow, as winding-up wheels will be able to slip. They won't be able to do this on hard surfaces.

So . . . yes, you could fit any full sized Touareg wheel/tire to you car BUT, unless you it matches EXACTLY the existing wheel diameter and the four tyres already on your car, you MUST then treat it as you would that spacesaver with a MAXIMUM LIMIT of 50mph/80 kph.

The ideal set up, so you can run at whatever speed you want, will be to source a matching wheel and fit it with an IDENTICAL tyre to those already on your car PROVIDING THAT the tread depth meets the criteria above.

You will then need to rotate your tyres on a regular basis [5,000 miles say] to keep tread wear even across all five tyres.

Before you think about roof mounting, do try lifting a Touareg wheel and tyre onto the roof and then removing it, in both cases without damaging the car!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You will then need to rotate your tyres on a regular basis [5,000 miles say] to keep tread wear even across all five tyres.
Best way to achieve this I found is to do a regular 6 wheel rotation, so get 2 spares!
I know it's impractical to take/fit both spares in your Touareg but if you are towing a van you may be able to fit a second wheel carrier on the van so you can have one in the car and one on the van, that way you are covered when touring without the van behind.
I would try lifting the spare onto the roof bars first as well as you may find that it takes a bit of doing and may not be your cup of tea.......I know it's not mine and that's why I came up with fitting the spare upright back in early 2011.

TonyB

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of getting two spares for redundancy (working in IT helps sometimes)

The place I would be needing the spare would be on The Great Central Road between NT and WA which is mostly dirt and I would be very unlikely to go above 80km/h if I swapped to a spare as I would be too scared based on the above post.

If I can't get a second hand one from Ebay how much are they new?

This is our Touareg, now know as Tron :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
G'day
I carry my spare when offroad in a roof basket, held down by a 3-way ratchet strap.
Yep, it's heavy to lift up and down, but usually when you need it there are a couple of idle bystanders hanging around...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Tron looks good. Not a bad looking sheila next to it either. What diameter are your wheels, they look like 19"? I have an 18" Q7 wheel for sale if interested. John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe they are 20" rims. Would the Q7 wheel work on Tron?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi Ian, 'Girl in Boots' and Tron,
Sounds like a great trip you guys are planning.
All good advice above.
Couple of 2 bob's worth:
Consider getting a windscreen repair kit as well as a tyre repair kit. We have used both previously (on other member's Tregs) and they work well.
We have done quite a few Km's on outback roads with our 17" wheels fitted and the wheels get sandblasted. Quite repairable of course.
When you do get a spare, can you put it on top of your Jayco Eagle if it has racks? Other wise a roof rack on the Treg may be the go. I carry our spare on the roof and find it isn't too bad however it helps a lot if you can stand beside the Treg on something that gets you a bit higher to help with the leverage. Given that you are likely to have the Jayco behind you if you get a flat you could unhook and back up beside the Jayco then stand on the Jayco's head to help get the wheel off the Treg's roof (hope that makes sense).
Now to the original question regarding where to get a spare.........

ebay! They do pop up from time to time although I don't recall seeing any 20" wheels for some time. There is a chance an Audi wheel may pop up from someone wanting to put bigger wheels and low profile (fully sik) tyres on...... I know puke

Whatever wheels you get, make sure it is a 5 x 130mm lug pattern.
More info on wheels here.

This may be an option for you:
These and this.

Hold the phone, just spotted this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
115 Posts
Hi Aedryn,

As Noobytoogy says, if you are sticking with your 20" rims then you should match it with the same 20" wheel and tyre. Trouble is, if you want to do a lot of off-roading, then you should fit tyres designed to do that, and finding off-road tyres for 20" rims is pretty much impossible (and if they are available will be expensive!). My V10 came with 19" Atheos, and there are no snow or sand/mud tyres for them, so I bought a set of four 18" Karthoums from VW in 2007 ... there are limited off-road size tyres for 18" wheels. Better selection if you can go to 17" or less, but my V10 will only go down to 18" because of the front brake disc size.

The last 18" Karthoum wheel sold by VW in Germany was in 2011, so they are impossible to get new from VW now ... there are some suppliers in the US that still have them. The whole saga of me looking for an additional 18" wheel can be read at the following thred: Looking for 18" wheel rims.

You will see that I went with a set of four Porsche Cayenne Sport wheels, which have the same offset as the Karthoums, bought very cheap off the internet and refurbished by me as they were pretty scuffed. I now use all eight 18" wheels in rotation, to keep the tyres close in rolling circumference, and I travel outback with at least 2 of them on a Rhino Aluminium tradies roof-rack. I've attached a picture of the car with the Karthoum wheels on, and one with the Porsche Cayenne Wheels on.

Cheers, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks !!

I just spoke to VW and an original spare just for the alloy is $1800...with no tyre. Holy crap !!

Should I just buy a set of 17" rims and tyres for the trip and put the 20' rims on when I get back?

I am now concerned that the 20" rims will pop on any rough road....

Ian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We only got new tyres about 2 months ago :( The coopers look great.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you stick with the 20's you'll be fine and the Cooper LTZ's are great tyres. Whatever wheels you use they won't be shiny new by the time you get back home.
Dunno if you have seen the link to Gumtree and an ad for an Audi 20" wheel for $140 on my previous post?
As Mike R suggests, if you reckon you may be doing a bit of 4wding consider getting some 17" wheels. (Ad for these also linked from my previous post). The advantages of smaller wheels are numerous including being able to air them down depending on the terrain you are tackling.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.