Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am about to embark on approx 25k towing a van around Aus (on road) in my 2015 180TDi with the standard 20 inch wheels (175/45/20) and air suspension.

I have located a 19 inch wheel from a 2007 Touareg, which I am looking to use as a full size spare. (The wheel does not have a tyre, but tryes fitted to the "donor" vehicle with matching wheels are 275/45/19).

I was looking to fit a 255/55/19 or a 275/55/19 to the spare. I understand this will provide very close to the same rolling circumference as the current wheels/tyres.

Can anyone chime in whether this would work, the wheel will fit my current model etc.

Thanks
Bettsy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Bettsy
About the 9 May we will be starting the big circle with our van from Bowral NSW going north to Wyndham WA by about the 2 June then 2 months working way down the west coast and the Bight. Was going the other way but a friend is going counter cloackwise.
I aquired an 255x55x18 as my spare and build a wooden cover over it and my small chain saw. 18 is my standard wheel size.
Maybe we might meet on the road somewhere. Email me is my times sort of match yours.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Bettsy,

Glad that you are about to embark on a great expedition. Sorry to say that I think 45 profile tyres on 20inch rims look great and are OK around town, but are not something I would recommend for an expedition like yours - even with air suspension. I'd suggest 18 inch rims with 55 or 60 profile tyres are a much better option for long distance touring and towing, especially if you are expecting to encounter some dirt roads.

Having 20 inch rims with a 19 inch spare is also not recommended - even if you match the rolling diameter with a suitable profile tyre. It will do as a 'stop gap' but the pundits will say you then should not exceed 80kph - much akin to using the space saver spare.

For a trip like yours, I'd suggest trying to source 6 x 18 inch wheels so you have 2 matched spares - there are many places around this large country of ours where a replacement tyre may take a week or longer to arrive at the local tyre fitter. During that time, having a second spare will give you some peace of mind.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would be very cautious using a different rim and tyre combo on one wheel. All reports on CT here are that you should not even use dissimilar tyres on similar rim due to small differences in rolling diameter. As you have mentioned its your spare then you could use it, but you must stay below he 80 kph limit, same as your lame blow up spare.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Bettsy,

Glad that you are about to embark on a great expedition. Sorry to say that I think 45 profile tyres on 20inch rims look great and are OK around town, but are not something I would recommend for an expedition like yours - even with air suspension. I'd suggest 18 inch rims with 55 or 60 profile tyres are a much better option for long distance touring and towing, especially if you are expecting to encounter some dirt roads.

Having 20 inch rims with a 19 inch spare is also not recommended - even if you match the rolling diameter with a suitable profile tyre. It will do as a 'stop gap' but the pundits will say you then should not exceed 80kph - much akin to using the space saver spare.

For a trip like yours, I'd suggest trying to source 6 x 18 inch wheels so you have 2 matched spares - there are many places around this large country of ours where a replacement tyre may take a week or longer to arrive at the local tyre fitter. During that time, having a second spare will give you some peace of mind.
Nice work,
Far more detailed than my response, but the message is the same. Lol .

FWIW I can seea 20inch Treg rim on gumtree at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
This is how it works out....

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You MUST NOT exceed 50mph/80 kph under any circumstances if you use an odd wheel even if if looks like the circumference might be the same. You risk damaging the very expensive gearbox.

Ideally, as above, you need 5 IDENTICAL wheels/tyres [same make, same model, same tread pattern, same size] with no more than 2mm tread depth difference between tyres on the same axle and no more than 3mmtread depth difference between front and rear axles.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Bettsy,

I'm no expert at all but from what people are saying here it sounds like a no go and you might not rest easy if you proceed.

For what it's worth, what about grabbing 6 of those steel Sunraysia rims. You know the ugly white ones (or black actually might look better) that have the little triangles holes cut in them? They're as cheap as chips from memory as people used to always put them on their land cruiser Utes etc.

Anyway, it's just a thought and might be a cheap option for you.

Copwahn

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I won't run with the 19 inch as a spare, so will consider some of the other options suggested, cheers

Bettsy

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sunraysia rims will NOT fit a Touareg which has a non-compatible stud pattern (PCD 5 x 130) and offset.

Stick to VW OEM rims.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
was load rating considered ??

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sunraysia rims will NOT fit a Touareg which has a non-compatible stud pattern (PCD 5 x 130) and offset. Stick to VW OEM rims.
You can specify the stud pattern. You can buy new "blanks".

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You can specify the stud pattern. You can buy new "blanks".
I suspect you will also need to change all 20 wheel bolts / lugs as well as the length of the standard bolts may cause fouling in the hubs and the shoulder settings are possibly different too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I suspect you will also need to change all 20 wheel bolts / lugs as well as the length of the standard bolts may cause fouling in the hubs and the shoulder settings are possibly different too.
I never considered that. They would obviously have these for cruisers and patrols but I'm not sure about others. I know they have the pattern for most makes but the actually press fit on the bolt holes and the flanged edges may be something worthy of farther investigation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 2c, you are going a long way, 18, 19 and 20in that fit the treg out of the major cities are hard to find. The LC200 has 18in but they don't fit the treg. I would stick with a common brand and size like Cooper AT3 265 65 r17 these are stock on many Toyota's and and available everywhere. They are also cost effective at about $250 each vs $500+ for 20in. I would put the 20's in the shed and find some 17's. Sell the 17's after the trip this will probably cost you less than running the 20's. Replacing a 20 in the middle of nowhere is not going to be cost effective as it is recommended that the each axel has the same tyres and size even more so when towing. Hence if you destroy one of the 20's you may have to replace two tyres this has happened to other forum members.

On the up side the 17th are less bumpy.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
For off-roading, I would recommend 17s and the same size spare. Without the same sized tires, on paved roads (tarmac, I think you call it) you will bind up the drivetrain and risk destroying your transfer case, a CV joint or a driveshaft. None of those choices would be fun.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts