Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to add a trailer hitch to my 2013 Treg, and I've decided that I want to go with OEM parts rather than third party for numerous reasons, but I'm having trouble sourcing the towing control module. I managed to source the OEM hitch from a salvage yard, but the wiring could not be salvaged, and I could not locate the tow module. All the dealerships I've called have told me that the part is no longer being produced, and no dealership in NA has it in stock. I've resorted to attempting to source the part in Europe (Westfalia part #321765300107) but I'm not sure that the kit would work on NA spec Tregs anyway. Any help sourcing this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Google the part number (7P1055203) plenty of them seem to show up in the shopping tag.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

No affiliation, but you might be able to talk them into mailing the parts you are looking for.
Thank you for the link -- I ended up ordering the module from England, I'll report back on whether it works with the car or not. I'll probably still contact him because it doesn't hurt to have a few spare parts around with this car...

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Google the part number (7P1055203) plenty of them seem to show up in the shopping tag.
Unfortunately those websites aren't accurate. You have to call the dealership to determine actual availability, and even though a lot of dealerships have postings for this part, among others, no dealership or warehouse in the US stocks that kit.

Looking at other websites, they all are out of stock with no plans to restock. I couldn't even find the thing on ebay...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have you looked at the build sheet for your car? Most were sold with the trailer wiring in this country.
Did your car have a hitch?

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you looked at the build sheet for your car? Most were sold with the trailer wiring in this country.
Did your car have a hitch?
I have not looked at the build sheet, but my car did not come with a trailer hitch, I'm installing the OEM one myself.

How would I find the build sheet?

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Quick update for anyone who’s interested:
I installed the Westfalia kit I got from the UK. It plays nice with the vehicle’s electronics, but the dealership made sure to note that the (European spec) plug that comes with the kit was not getting supplied with enough power from the battery. The wiring is fine, the programming is fine, but for some reason they could not get the plug to output more than 2V (they tend to see 10-12V). I’m looking into it further and intend on testing it with an actual trailer, but any tips on that regard (and also how to adapt the European 7-pin plug) would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is the cable the 13 pin Euro style 13 pin or 7 pin?

At one time I was fairly conversant with the Euro standards as that was all I could get for my JSW TDI. What is likely happening is that the module you are using has to see the proper light loads to turn on the module. Does you module see the trailer? Is the rear hatch interlocked so that the auto is not working?
With my Jetta JSWs I had to wire in a switch to load the lights that were not used in the US for the car to believe that there was a trailer hooked up. Does the VCDS see a NAR (North America Region) module like the one in the US trailer module? With the Westfalia module you have to select the NAR in the setup. Unfortunately for my module it would not allow for the setting as it was hard coded in the module hence the switch.
Probably the module needs to see the trailer to enable the 12 volt power output.
Here is a Club Touareg thread on the subject, but I have not read it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Terminal NumberFunction13 core wire colourCable Core Size
1Left Hand IndicatorYellow1.5
2Rear fog light(s)Blue1.5
3Earth for contacts 1 to 8White2.5
4Right Hand IndicatorGreen1.5
5Right Hand Side lights, marker lights & number plate lightBrown1.5
6Brake lightsRed1.5
7Left Hand Side lights, marker lights & number plate lightBlack1.5
8Reversing light(s)Pink1.5
9Positive direct from battery (Power)Orange2.5
10Positive ignition key on (Fridge)Grey2.5
11Earth return for contact 10White/Black2.5
12Signalling connection to trailerWhite/Blue1.5
13Earth return for contact 9White/Red2.5

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the cable the 13 pin Euro style 13 pin or 7 pin?

View attachment 237951
View attachment 237952

At one time I was fairly conversant with the Euro standards as that was all I could get for my JSW TDI. What is likely happening is that the module you are using has to see the proper light loads to turn on the module. Does you module see the trailer? Is the rear hatch interlocked so that the auto is not working?
With my Jetta JSWs I had to wire in a switch to load the lights that were not used in the US for the car to believe that there was a trailer hooked up. Does the VCDS see a NAR (North America Region) module like the one in the US trailer module? With the Westfalia module you have to select the NAR in the setup. Unfortunately for my module it would not allow for the setting as it was hard coded in the module hence the switch.
Probably the module needs to see the trailer to enable the 12 volt power output.
Here is a Club Touareg thread on the subject, but I have not read it.

The plug is a 7-pin adapter. Here's the link to the exact kit I bought:

If that is the case, it is likely that the module is not seeing the trailer. The VW mechanic at my local dealership told me that usually when they hook up a voltmeter directly to these plugs, they expect a reading above 10V, but mine only returned 2V.
Also according to the mechanic, he did program the VCDS to see the module as a NAR module. I might have to double check with him on this though, because it seems likely that this could be what's happening. This has been extremely helpful, and I'll return back with what I find out.

Additionally, I know this is the socket that OEM trailer kits for the Touareg, and a few other VWs:

Would I be able to switch out the Westfalia socket with this one to rectify the problem? I imagine the answer is no, but I figured I'd check.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The 7 pin Euro has no 12 volt power to the plug. The 13 pin has two, one for the trailer power and battery charging, etc, the other always on for the refrigerator. If everything else is OK then run a heavy wire from the trailer power fuse to the 7 pin plug in the rear.
Still these modules (depending on the year, maybe) will not activate the module without a trailer (with incandescent lights) is plugged in.
Here is a link to the NAR kit (sorry rather late)

VW dealer in Texas:

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 7 pin Euro has no 12 volt power to the plug. The 13 pin has two, one for the trailer power and battery charging, etc, the other always on for the refrigerator. If everything else is OK then run a heavy wire from the trailer power fuse to the 7 pin plug in the rear.
Still these modules (depending on the year, maybe) will not activate the module without a trailer (with incandescent lights) is plugged in.
Here is a link to the NAR kit (sorry rather late)

VW dealer in Texas:
Gotcha, so just to clarify, in order to supply power to a 7-pin Euro adapter, you have to route a heavy wire from the fuse to the plug (all pins), which will enable power to be activated once the vehicle & module detect that a trailer has been attached?

Also, any idea of what adapters I'll need to test this? I don't have a Euro-spec trailer lying around in Texas...I was hoping that some sort of adapter would enable me to plug a US-spec trailer (4 or 7 pin) into this plug. I keep finding the opposite of what I need online (Euro trailer to US plug).

·
Registered
293 Posts
The wiring from the module to the plug might be OK (except for the power).
The coding needs to be for a NAR setup. Perhaps the proper wiring connections can be made for the lights to the US 7 pin plug. The module should be the same for the Euro and US. The issue if the coding is not NAR is the fog light detect as you will get an error.
The harness if it was the one above would take care of the power as well, but with what you have you will need to run a nice big wire from the battery and for the trailer brakes if you plan to use one.
As far as I know no VW has a brake signal to the trailer.
The module should be correct.
I am not sure the best way for you to approach this problem long distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Exec
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wiring from the module to the plug might be OK (except for the power).
The coding needs to be for a NAR setup. Perhaps the proper wiring connections can be made for the lights to the US 7 pin plug. The module should be the same for the Euro and US. The issue if the coding is not NAR is the fog light detect as you will get an error.
The harness if it was the one above would take care of the power as well, but with what you have you will need to run a nice big wire from the battery and for the trailer brakes if you plan to use one.
As far as I know no VW has a brake signal to the trailer.
The module should be correct.
I am not sure the best way for you to approach this problem long distance.
Sounds to me like I should evaluate the feasibility of swapping out the Westfalia socket with a Pollak.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you have the goofy plug that the Pollak plugs into the answer would be yes.
The Euro setup is designed to check that the trailer bulbs are good and if not trip a warning. Things like the fog light especially since we don't have one in this country.
Do you have the plug that the Pollak plugs into on your wiring harness?
I have the VCDS cable so that I can check to programming for the module.
Also if you got the plug that goes under the dash that the brake controller plugs into the module must activate to send the brake + 12 volts to the brake controller when the brake is activated.
Also the rear hatch should not open and raise or lower from the switch in the driver's door or remote o or the handle. The button on the hatch will not close it either, if the trailer is present.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts