Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Touareg went down yesterday and the dealer is stumped. Looking to see if anyone here has had a similar experience and can help narrow our search.

'04 Touareg 98k miles, well taken care of, any/all mechanical concerns have always been handled asap and oil changed regularly.

Yesterday (first day of heavy rain in months) I get up drive (did not hit any major puddles) to my local coffee shop, park/car off get my coffee and go back to car (<5mins.) Car unlocks fine, I put the key in, hear the click, turn the key and all systems come up (lights/radio/air/etc) and on the display is says "Engine Starting" and nothing happens, no clicking, no noise coming from engine. It seemed as if the engine wasn't getting the message that it was supposed to start.

The dealer is experiencing the same symptoms and they have been going over the car to no avail. They are saying they 'think' it might be the starter but just to test the starter they are saying the engine needs to be dropped, which I would like to avoid since it's not guaranteed to be the starter.

Anyone else have this or a similar issue?

The kicker is I'm out of warranty by 1200 miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@;
What happens when you turn the key counter-clockwise?
Good question, I don't know...I didn't do that. When I was waiting for Uber I tried tons of combinations (getting out, locking the car, opening doors, putting it in P/D/N etc) but I never turned the key backwards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You'd think something got wet -- but a lot of times that is a red herring. I know other car brands do dumb stuff when the battery gets low...maybe something simple?

Stevie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd think something got wet -- but a lot of times that is a red herring. I know other car brands do dumb stuff when the battery gets low...maybe something simple?

Stevie
Exactly. They volt tested the battery and it's strong (new in the last 3 years)

What I didn't mention in the first post (not to cloud this scenario) is that I had the alternator replaced last week. Now they (dealer) don't believe it's the alternator b/c it's new. They have rechecked all the harnesses and work associated with that install.

**I didn't mean to say my dealer isn't sharp, it's just that they have only seen 4 V10's in the past 12yrs ...one of which being mine, so their comfort/experience with them isn't super high. They are actually an awesome dealer/service dept.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nobody really deals with the fantastic V10, unfortunately. I'm not sure I've seen many/(any?!) in the wild. You are doing what I would do and recommend anybody do. Get online and into an enthusiast form and see what you can find.

If the alternator was replaced last week could the new alternator be bad? Or does the battery being volt testing and showing strong indicate that it is ok? I'm no mechanic -- just a car guy.

Stevie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody really deals with the fantastic V10, unfortunately. I'm not sure I've seen many/(any?!) in the wild. You are doing what I would do and recommend anybody do. Get online and into an enthusiast form and see what you can find.

If the alternator was replaced last week could the new alternator be bad? Or does the battery being volt testing and showing strong indicate that it is ok? I'm no mechanic -- just a car guy.

Stevie
I'm not sure about the alternator question, my inclination would be to have the dealer go all the way back to the alternator before the starter just due to difference in cost of labor.

My theory is that either the alternator went bad or a connector fell out/shorted and without seeing a connection to the alternator the ECU is not even firing the engine upon start up. But I have no grounds to make that assumption or claim.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure about the alternator question, my inclination would be to have the dealer go all the way back to the alternator before the starter just due to difference in cost of labor.

My theory is that either the alternator went bad or a connector fell out/shorted and without seeing a connection to the alternator the ECU is not even firing the engine upon start up. But I have no grounds to make that assumption or claim.
This seems reasonable to me. I'd ask if another alternator could be put in, but does the V10 use a different one from the other VWs, so that they may not have one 'laying around'?

Stevie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This seems reasonable to me. I'd ask if another alternator could be put in, but does the V10 use a different one from the other VWs, so that they may not have one 'laying around'?

Stevie
Yeah the issue is that the alternator sits under the intake manifold, so even on that level it's still a day + job. I absolutely love this car and really don't plan on getting ride of it for another 100k but man do I want to punch the engine design engineer right now, no consideration on service :nerd:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah the issue is that the alternator sits under the intake manifold, so even on that level it's still a day + job. I absolutely love this car and really don't plan on getting ride of it for another 100k but man do I want to punch the engine design engineer right now, no consideration on service :nerd:
Sounds like a VW! But IMO VW's and such are 'car person' cars. They need some attention every once in a while but are generally worth it. If you mind spending time/money on the car and don't generally think a car can be charming I have one word of advice: don't walk, run to the nearest Toyota dealer. If you can deal with some pain every now and again, the VW's are fantastic. And the Touareg, IMO, is unmatched for the price.

Stevie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Could be the starter, I personally haven't dealt with a bad one though. Does the brake light switch seem to be working right? I know that your foot has to be on the brake to start the engine, if the switch is bad, that could be causing the problem. Just a thought...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be the starter, I personally haven't dealt with a bad one though. Does the brake light switch seem to be working right? I know that your foot has to be on the brake to start the engine, if the switch is bad, that could be causing the problem. Just a thought...
Thats a great thought! The computer system seemed to have thought my foot was on the brake b/c it would say "engine starting" but I wonder if a relay is broke/tripped.

I remember years ago in my old A4 there was a clutch peddle sensor and I just by passed it by using a paper clip in the connector to complete the circuit...worked like a charm 0:)

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
730 Posts
I had an ECU get wet and cause that problem. They are located in the wiper cowl and probably need to be pulled and open to see if they were compromised.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My '04 V10 with 100k on it is doing the same thing. Been getting a bit worse over the pass year, but its completely random as to when it occurs. Ive replaced both batteries replaced and it still happens. On two occasions I've jump started it and then it worked fine. My shop thinks it may be the starter. Since they dont have the jack I'll just keep driving it until it just refused to start, then pony up for the engine pull. Let us know what happens to yours.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had an ECU get wet and cause that problem. They are located in the wiper cowl and probably need to be pulled and open to see if they were compromised.
Awesome thank you so much for that info! Just called the dealer and gave them the low down. This could make sense since they would have needed to remove the cowl for the alternator replacement.

Will keep you updated. Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The rear battery is in charge of starting process. The battery switch would ordinarily choose the front battery if the rear is bad. But...and this is a big one, the battery switch on 2004's can be damaged if the batteries are not connected in the proper order. My money is on the battery switch and a bad rear battery. Did I miss any mention of a rear battery in your thread?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rear battery is in charge of starting process. The battery switch would ordinarily choose the front battery if the rear is bad. But...and this is a big one, the battery switch on 2004's can be damaged if the batteries are not connected in the proper order. My money is on the battery switch and a bad rear battery. Did I miss any mention of a rear battery in your thread?
I was told they checked the batteries and voltage was fine, however I'll run this by them as well.

Thanks again guys!

UPDATE: The dealer disconnected some relays and was able to get the car to start, so we are at least moving in some direction.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Touareg (Especially TDI).

A battery with 12.4 is nearly dead. So 12v could mean 12.9 (good) or 12.2 (BAD). Anyhow the vehicle really cares for amperage.

Replace both batteries with high amp diesel batteries. Anything over 4 years on battery, shows.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Lost,
How'd you go in the end? (Hopefully something easy that didn't require the engine pull!)
Regards, Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Lost,
How'd you go in the end? (Hopefully something easy that didn't require the engine pull!)
Regards, Rob
Well they didn't have to pull the engine but it was the starter. They were able to wedge it out/in but it was still a $2400 job. Guess it could have been worse. I just rolled over 100k miles last week so I'm on to another 100k hopefully!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts