Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered some spark plugs from ecs for my 4.2 v8. Looked like the original plugs were still in it at 120k on it. Now, with the plugs I was sent the exhaust tips are black, touching the tips confirms that it is thick black soot.

I had my brother rev the engine and fuel spots from the tail pipes.

Could this spot and fuel be the sole fault of the new catback exhaust I had custom bent up? Or should I change the plugs to another gap? What is the ideal plug gap?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*the word "spots" should be spits and soot.

My autotype corrected it and I can't edit it on my cell.

Sorry.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would double check to make sure they're the correct plugs and that they're correctly gapped. Also, are you sure it's fuel coming out of the exhaust and not just water? If you're getting black soot and fuel it sounds like it's running WAY too rich. Is your gas mileage getting worse too?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On closer inspection it does appear to be water. Not straight fuel. Weird.

Still insane amounts of soot but I only run premium gas. Do we know what the gap should be? I double checked and they are the proper part#.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's not uncommon at all for water/condensation to accumulate in your exhaust/mufflers. If you have a lot, you could try booting it up a steep hill a few times to try to clear some of it out, or perhaps go in reverse down the hill and brake hard a few times. Just be careful - steep hills can dramatically compromise handling and control of the vehicle!

As for the plug gaps, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be but I'm sure you could find it with a search here or on Google. And most plugs these days come pre-gapped but you should never rely on that because it's quite easy for the gaps to go out of spec during shipping or from rough handling.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only a puff of white smoke when I start it up in the winter. Nothing when it's above freezing outside.

When I did pull the one plug it looked sooty as well. The old plugs were some of those quad gap goofy plugs. I replaced it with the normal standard, single gap plugs. Are the quad gap plugs factory? I suppose that could be to blame as well.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
690 Posts
On my 04 V8 I changed out the plugs from the quads to iridium densons or ngk (can't remember) there's a spark plug thread here with the info and gap.

Anyways, I haven't experienced any of those issues in 30k miles, so it's probably not the plugs being non-oem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my 04 V8 I changed out the plugs from the quads to iridium densons or ngk (can't remember) there's a spark plug thread here with the info and gap.

Anyways, I haven't experienced any of those issues in 30k miles, so it's probably not the plugs being non-oem.
How do your exhaust pipe tips look?

My exhaust is straight through.......

·
Registered
690 Posts
Mine look the same as before the change. I also have the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Soot buildup over time is normal. They make detailing products for this. Soot caking is not normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts